Food & Drink The Hangar Food Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't suppose any of you have ever been to a tupperware party, haha. The amount of useless crap that company sells... Like a rip cord thing that if you change the attachment is basically an expensive (for what it is) electricity-free food processor? Spin your lettuce, whip cream, chop stuff up? I'm sure the technology in it is about the same as your average children's toy.

But.... The Multi size lid, will take some doing...it can retract and expand, the outer rim can slide in and out of itself the surface is made if a rubber that folds under itself when being made smaller.

Can we imagine it?

I don't suppose any of you have ever been to a tupperware party, haha. The amount of useless crap that company sells... Like a rip cord thing that if you change the attachment is basically an expensive (for what it is) electricity-free food processor? Spin your lettuce, whip cream, chop stuff up? I'm sure the technology in it is about the same as your average children's toy.
The good thing about Tupperware is that at least they honour the lifetime guarantee thing. Wifey goes to a Tupperware party every now and then and has taken a busted lid or something and they replaced it no questions asked. They do make some good products too. We use their microwave containers with the little rubber vent thing and they are very good.

I just buy cheap stuff from Coles or Ikea because I can't seem to keep the lids and containers together for long enough to make it worth spending lots on it.

I love that thing. You can mince your garlic up nice without it all over your hands. But I tend to use my "great plate" (a small plate with a spiral of knobs in the middle) to mince garlic. Ensures i get all of the garlic (all except for what's on my hands)

I love kitchen gadgets. Its really weird but something like an apple corer gives me much joy. We had an Irish christmas last year and i was devo when my sister got the avocado knife i bought.

The good thing about Tupperware is that at least they honour the lifetime guarantee thing. Wifey goes to a Tupperware party every now and then and has taken a busted lid or something and they replaced it no questions asked. They do make some good products too. We use their microwave containers with the little rubber vent thing and they are very good.
True. Although they do sometimes discontinue products and replace it with the new version of the thing, which leads back to the different-sized-lids problem. I also think the new ones aren't as good quality as the old, and other brands are catching up with their technology. We have Tupperware with mission brown lids that still works fine, but those microwave containers with the lid that has the extra thing to let the steam out? Buckled and doesn't seal properly anymore. Buying cheap stuff that does the job and paying to replace it when it's broken isn't as far off the mark as it used to be, although it does seem wasteful. I guess we live in a disposable era :/

Not always. Didn't replace lids for us which had become warped and ill-fitting.

I love that thing. You can mince your garlic up nice without it all over your hands. But I tend to use my "great plate" (a small plate with a spiral of knobs in the middle) to mince garlic. Ensures i get all of the garlic (all except for what's on my hands)

I love kitchen gadgets. Its really weird but something like an apple corer gives me much joy. We had an Irish christmas last year and i was devo when my sister got the avocado knife i bought.
I'm 100% behind apple slinky machines. I don't have one but they're great in kindergartens. Suddenly everyone wants to eat apples XD

Yeah, you may as well rename our kitchen Tupperware Falls every night.

Was at a mates place hunting for a plastic cup or something to give my youngest, didn't want to use a glass in case she dropped it. I opened their tuppaware cupboard and it was unbelievably well kept.

Their secret - using an old shoe box to store all the lids, then stack the containers separately. They obviously went to the trouble of working out what stacks in what neatly or not, then arranged the stacks in size, left to right, with the lid box at the end.

I was inspired, then promptly forgot about it until this conversation started. We don't have such an issue really though as we use one of our massive pot drawers for tuppaware so it doesn't fall out, we just have to do lucky dips to find a matching container and lid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was at a mates place hunting for a plastic cup or something to give my youngest, didn't want to use a glass in case she dropped it. I opened their tuppaware cupboard and it was unbelievably well kept.

Their secret - using an old shoe box to store all the lids, then stack the containers separately. They obviously went to the trouble of working out what stacks in what neatly or not, then arranged the stacks in size, left to right, with the lid box at the end.

I was inspired, then promptly forgot about it until this conversation started. We don't have such an issue really though as we use one of our massive pot drawers for tuppaware so it doesn't fall out, we just have to do lucky dips to find a matching container and lid.
Ours is set-up like that. Still end up frisby'ing things into the back of it though, because the alternative is to unpack the entire cupboard so that you can see and reach wherever the obscure piece of plastic is meant to belong.

I remember home-ec in highschool they had these laminated bits of paper with outlines of each thing on them so you knew exactly where each thing was supposed to go and what was missing. Not sure how feasible that is in a house but it's still interesting XD

Ours is set-up like that. Still end up frisby'ing things into the back of it though, because the alternative is to unpack the entire cupboard so that you can see and reach wherever the obscure piece of plastic is meant to belong.

I remember home-ec in highschool they had these laminated bits of paper with outlines of each thing on them so you knew exactly where each thing was supposed to go and what was missing. Not sure how feasible that is in a house but it's still interesting XD
I had a leak in the cupboard that my containers are stored so I had to take all the containers out, clean them and repack them all. I had two boxes in the cupboard - one for lids and one for containers. That was all about 6 months ago and I've quickly gone back to the frisby technique.

The big thing as far as I could see where
  1. Don't use a tuppaware container to store the lids as what happens when you need that container?
  2. Put the stuff you rarely use at the back
From there I think there's a little bit of discipline like with every other cupboard. Crockery you place gently as it might break, pots you make an effort for as it'll make an almighty mess when they spill out and they might hurt when they land on your feet. Tuppaware - unbreakable, lifetime guarantee, ******* chuck that s**t in! Nope, just put it in properly (not that I do)

Rarely used things get used far too often. I'm curious how it would go in drawers. I know some people who keep their plates and cups and stuff in drawers... seems legit. Except when they're extremely heavy or stuff is stacked too high and gets jammed, I suppose.

Did you know they're called drawers and not draws? (I did just look it up to be sure... :\ )

Rarely used things get used far too often. I'm curious how it would go in drawers. I know some people who keep their plates and cups and stuff in drawers... seems legit. Except when they're extremely heavy or stuff is stacked too high and gets jammed, I suppose.

Did you know they're called drawers and not draws? (I did just look it up to be sure... :\ )

That's us, we have 4 x 50kg pot drawers. We use a couple for crockery, a couple for tuppaware type stuff. We actually put the pots in cupboards. Yeah, we live life on the edge!

Tuppaware in drawers gets every bit as messy as cupboards, it's just easier to get to stuff at the back and crap doesn't fall out so readily.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back