Food & Drink The Hangar Food Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

have spent forever trying to perfect the go to stir fry that doesn't just end in a turgid mess - week after week id throw whatever I had in the cupboard and fridge in, hoping to nail the perfect combo.. many failed - but I think one succeeded, it blew our heads off last week, so much so I replicated it last night and again. perfect. I think i've nailed our go to stir fry, easy, quick, big flavor.

Ill start by saying i'm not flash with Asian flavours, but I always try to go with the salty sweet sour bitter combo thing (even tho I don't know how to balance them), apparently its the holy grail - hence why ive been guilty of throwing random stuff in hoping for the best - anyhow here tis

chop up some chicken tenders or thigh or breast if its what you have, I try small little pieces, almost like its been ground.

cook it off in a real hot wok then remove it when near cooked.

bit more oil in the wok, hot again - throw in a few chopped birds eye chillis and 4 garlic cloves roughly diced, get it sizzling then ad a splash of rice wine vinegar to stop the garlic burning - then in with a sliced red capsicum, a big hand full of topped and tailed halved green beans and some thin sliced carrots (any veg really, but these are what I had and they worked nice.) kept a nice crunch.

back in with the chicken, add a big splash of soy or tamari, a smaller splash of fish sauce and a big go of oyster sauce, toss it about and make sure it has enough coating, then squeeze in a bit of lime (or lemon) juice and a few sprinkles of brown sugar.

Take it off the heat - toss in a huge bunch of thai basil leaves, like a good 2 cups or so., quickly toss them thru so they start to wilt.

eat.

so full of flavor, everyone knows the chilli thai basil combo is king but its the first time ive been able to make it sing at home.

plus we have a chilli plant and a thai basil bush in the yard, and a lemon try hanging over the back fence , so once you have the 4 bottles and sauces in the fridge its a pretty easy dish to knock up with not much effort or cost.
I’m a Thai basil fan as well and that dish is very simillar to my go to stir fry as well. I actually buy chicken mince rather than cut down the chicken and thrown in what veggies I have such as carrot, red capsicum, sliced onion etc. I have been trying to make thai pad ga prow (not sure that is how you spell it).
I love my chilli but my family not so much... The authentic Thai version should burn on the way out as well!

I’m a Thai basil fan as well and that dish is very simillar to my go to stir fry as well. I actually buy chicken mince rather than cut down the chicken and thrown in what veggies I have such as carrot, red capsicum, sliced onion etc. I have been trying to make thai pad ga prow (not sure that is how you spell it).
I love my chilli but my family not so much... The authentic Thai version should burn on the way out as well!

pad gra prow is my thai go to every time, cant beat it!

I don't dig on all the coconut milk of the curries - most times I get my daughter a pad thai, ill get the pad gra prow, do a little mix and match (ie me stealing some of hers) and we mop the residue with some roti. I get the beef version from the shop tho, I trust them to have tender meat more than myself...

Re the chicken mince I used to get it but my lady hates the smell when we open the packet, it really reeks for some reason! shes iffy on meat as it is so ive steered clear of the mince. Also having tenders in the freezer is very versatile, can make a lot of different things with them.

have spent forever trying to perfect the go to stir fry that doesn't just end in a turgid mess - week after week id throw whatever I had in the cupboard and fridge in, hoping to nail the perfect combo.. many failed - but I think one succeeded, it blew our heads off last week, so much so I replicated it last night and again. perfect. I think i've nailed our go to stir fry, easy, quick, big flavor.

Ill start by saying i'm not flash with Asian flavours, but I always try to go with the salty sweet sour bitter combo thing (even tho I don't know how to balance them), apparently its the holy grail - hence why ive been guilty of throwing random stuff in hoping for the best - anyhow here tis

chop up some chicken tenders or thigh or breast if its what you have, I try small little pieces, almost like its been ground.

bit more oil in the wok, hot again - throw in a few chopped birds eye chillis and 4 garlic cloves roughly diced, get it sizzling then ad a splash of rice wine vinegar to stop the garlic burning - then in with a sliced red capsicum, a big hand full of topped and tailed halved green beans and some thin sliced carrots (any veg really, but these are what I had and they worked nice.) kept a nice crunch.

back in with the chicken, add a big splash of soy or tamari, a smaller splash of fish sauce and a big go of oyster sauce, toss it about and make sure it has enough coating, then squeeze in a bit of lime (or lemon) juice and a few sprinkles of brown sugar.

Take it off the heat - toss in a huge bunch of thai basil leaves, like a good 2 cups or so., quickly toss them thru so they start to wilt.

eat.

so full of flavor, everyone knows the chilli thai basil combo is king but its the first time ive been able to make it sing at home.

plus we have a chilli plant and a thai basil bush in the yard, and a lemon try hanging over the back fence , so once you have the 4 bottles and sauces in the fridge its a pretty easy dish to knock up with not much effort or cost.
Sounds delicious. Do you reckon it'd lose much if the chillis were removed, or essentially added raw? I'm the only one who like heat in my food in my family so I tend to keep a heap of finely chopped chilli in the freezer and stir a teaspoon through food I want to add heat in like pasta sauces and stir frys.

Sounds delicious. Do you reckon it'd lose much if the chillis were removed, or essentially added raw? I'm the only one who like heat in my food in my family so I tend to keep a heap of finely chopped chilli in the freezer and stir a teaspoon through food I want to add heat in like pasta sauces and stir frys.

hmm I reckon the thai basil and chilli creates the magic together, it might work added later? what you think DERO

You need a bit of chilli in the frying to get the flavour, but I find chilli oil is a great way to fire something up after the fact.

If anyone is ever around Glen Waverley, head to Rose of Thailand down near Syndal Station.

Get the Beef Hotplate with Coconut rice.

It is one of the greatest things I will ever have in and around my mouth.

It is one of the greatest things I will ever have in and around my mouth.

It’s been 4 days without a “that’s what she said” reply? Geez Bigfooty is slipping

eat.

Gotta love it when you finally get things right. For ages I had tried to make a good fried rice. Turns out the two things I had missing were oil (seems obvious now) and a dash of white pepper. Still isn’t exactly like you’d get using a wok at 1billion degrees, but it’s pretty damn good. I whipped up a massive batch to have for lunch this week

5829ed990138cb8fefd930c0f0de25f7.jpg

Gotta love it when you finally get things right. For ages I had tried to make a good fried rice. Turns out the two things I had missing were oil (seems obvious now) and a dash of white pepper. Still isn’t exactly like you’d get using a wok at 1billion degrees, but it’s pretty damn good. I whipped up a massive batch to have for lunch this week

5829ed990138cb8fefd930c0f0de25f7.jpg

i think I had my fried rice epiphany the day I made a well in the Centre of it and poured in two beaten eggs, the egg mixed thru it makes all the difference. Before that we used to make a little omelete and add it last in little squares.

i think I had my fried rice epiphany the day I made a well in the Centre of it and poured in two beaten eggs, the egg mixed thru it makes all the difference. Before that we used to make a little omelete and add it last in little squares.

Hmmmm.... reading this is a bloke that makes a little omelette and adds it last in little squares.

Do you wait for the egg mixture to start setting before you mix it, or pour and keep stirring instantly until it's mixed through and cooked?

Hmmmm.... reading this is a bloke that makes a little omelette and adds it last in little squares.

Do you wait for the egg mixture to start setting before you mix it, or pour and keep stirring instantly until it's mixed through and cooked?

i'm not sure if i'm right or not but I stir it in its little well for about ten seconds, as it starts to coagulate a bit i mix it thru the rice til its all cooked fully, gives the rice much more body and taste I reckon.

im not even sure its the Chinese way, it might be the thai or Malaysian style

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'm not sure if i'm right or not but I stir it in its little well for about ten seconds, as it starts to coagulate a bit i mix it thru the rice til its all cooked fully, gives the rice much more body and taste I reckon.

noted, will give it a crack next time :thumbsu:

Made up a little chook marinade the other night that went down a treat.

Soy sauce, crushed garlic, sesame oil, chilli paste, turmeric and some cracked black pepper. Left in the fridge on some chicken thighs while I was at work, came home and BBQd it up, served with a salad made up of spinach, red onion, roasted pumpkin, pinenuts and goat cheese with a balsamic and garlic dressing.

Bloody brilliant.
Except for the fact that the pregnant wife is meant to be avoiding goat cheese. Whoops.

Yeah I’m a cook seperate and add it later guy. I find the texture to be better. With noodles though, I’ll do it all together. I don’t think it really matters. In the end it’s personal preference, as with everything cooking related really.

It's because it's better than when it's fresh from an air fryer. I s**t you not.
2 words that were never meant to be together. Air and Fry. Let's do the right thing and make up a new term to explain this.

I'm not doubting the success of your results, just why say it's fried when it is so obviously not.

Also not having a crack at you for using said terminology but it's probably why many moons ago they decided poaching and frying were different due to the element doing the cooking.

Yes, in case you're wondering, i have been drinking.

If you watch street wok types at work they'll clear a spot, crack the eggs in and scramble them, and once they're cooked a bit mix it all back together.

Made some Shakshuka last night.

Started off with one large brown onion (and one red onion I had left over), chopped up super finely, alongside 4 (8) minced cloves of garlic and a large capsicum. Sauteed this in a mixture of peanut and olive oil for a few minutes until it's all translucent, before adding in some salt to get all the moisture out of the onions. Then I added in a mixture of spices (cumin, paprika, chilli flakes, dried parsley, cayenne pepper) to the mix. Mixed it all around and toasted it a little further, before adding in some Roma tomatoes.

I reckon that was the kicker. Roma tomatoes fresh from Nonna's garden, roasted on a low barbeque for 45 minutes. Add it to a steel bowl with foil over the top, leave it for 20 minutes, and then squish the hell out of them all. Then I add them into the onion mix, and let it cook away for half an hour. Check for salt and pepper, season as needed, and then make 6 wells into the pan.

Crack the eggs in and pop it in a 190 degree oven for 8-12 minutes or so.

Take it out, crumble over half a cup of feta and fresh parsley (coriander might work) and some more chilli flakes.

Bloody beautiful, and extremely cheap for a dinner or breakfast (if you can be arsed) if you get some tinned tomatoes. The Annalisa ones from Coles are as close as you'll get and are about a buck for a can.

Free range eggs really make a difference, too.

Made some Shakshuka last night.

Started off with one large brown onion (and one red onion I had left over), chopped up super finely, alongside 4 (8) minced cloves of garlic and a large capsicum. Sauteed this in a mixture of peanut and olive oil for a few minutes until it's all translucent, before adding in some salt to get all the moisture out of the onions. Then I added in a mixture of spices (cumin, paprika, chilli flakes, dried parsley, cayenne pepper) to the mix. Mixed it all around and toasted it a little further, before adding in some Roma tomatoes.

I reckon that was the kicker. Roma tomatoes fresh from Nonna's garden, roasted on a low barbeque for 45 minutes. Add it to a steel bowl with foil over the top, leave it for 20 minutes, and then squish the hell out of them all. Then I add them into the onion mix, and let it cook away for half an hour. Check for salt and pepper, season as needed, and then make 6 wells into the pan.

Crack the eggs in and pop it in a 190 degree oven for 8-12 minutes or so.

Take it out, crumble over half a cup of feta and fresh parsley (coriander might work) and some more chilli flakes.

Bloody beautiful, and extremely cheap for a dinner or breakfast (if you can be arsed) if you get some tinned tomatoes. The Annalisa ones from Coles are as close as you'll get and are about a buck for a can.

Free range eggs really make a difference, too.

Beautiful.

But wait for it, I'm about to rock your ******* world.

Next time you do it, instead of the peanut and olive oil - get yourself a PROPER chorizo sausage, chop that bad boy up in to smallish pieces and throw them in to the COLD pan and put over low heat. They'll render out this beautiful flavoured fat. You then scoop the chorizo out (leaving the oils) and then you start with your recipe as above.

At the end, before you chuck it in the oven, stir the chorizo back through before cracking the eggs in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back