Food & Drink The Hangar Food Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah man, I think it's because there are a lot more "traditional" joints now too. I reckon people pretend they don't like it but secretly miss it. More for us.

How's that weight loss going? hahaha
Yeah can’t beat some well made traditional pizza though

Going great approaching 20kg lost since early December :)

I'd eat that.
A place I used to live near makes it as lamb and potato, which is way too heavy, but sub the potato out for pineapple and it's the perfect hit of light and sweet to offset the heart attack chunks of crispy lamb. You have to pick up and crack in within 5 minutes though, if it sits in a delivery boy's bag for 20 minutes the lamb goes chewy and greasy and it loses the magic. They do the lamb on a hotplate and pop it onto the pizza post-firing.

A place I used to live here makes it as lamb and potato, which is way too heavy, but sub the potato out for pineapple and it's the perfect hit of light and sweet to offset the heart attack chunks of crispy lamb. You have to pick up and crack in within 5 minutes though, if it sits in a delivery boy's bag for 20 minutes the lamb goes chewy and greasy and it loses the magic.
Actually, speaking of potato on pizza that's probably the only other thing I'm not too keen on but it's not necessarily an absolute dealbreaker like seafood.

I'm on the pineapple has no place on pizza bandwagon. Have always thought so.

When we do our homemade pizza I usually have salami, oregano, brie, tomato base and mozzarella

I am not really a fan of pineapple on pizza but will eat it on a dirty pizza with the lot from the local shop no worries.

I have a woodfired oven in the backyard and I have been playing around with a few different combos.

Less is definitely more when it comes to toppings I think. A couple that we have made that have been a bit different are:

blue cheese, fig and prosciutto
Goats cheese, caramelised onion mushroom and sage
Anchoive, caper, olive basil (no cheese)

Beerfish potato on pizza can be really good. If you get a mandalin and finely slice it and chuck some garlic, rosemary olive oil and salt on it it goes alright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What defines a traditional pizza topping? I'd argue 90% of pizza toppings are bastardised rather than traditional, it all comes down to personal taste/preference.

I used to eat ham and pineapple a lot as a kid then went away from it. Now that I have kids who enjoy it I am eating it again and while not my favourite, it's fine. Funnily enough, it's the only pizza topping I'll eat that has pineapple on it though, I won't have hawaiian chicken or a supreme that has pineapple for example.

Just did the degustation at Milk the Cow. I didn't know cheese sweats were a thing until now.
I did the cheese degustation there once. Might have even had an extra one on the side as well. I'm pretty positive my bed sheets looked like greasy paper that deli sandwiches are wrapped in the next day.

I did the cheese degustation there once. Might have even had an extra one on the side as well. I'm pretty positive my bed sheets looked like greasy paper that deli sandwiches are wrapped in the next day.
They were very generous with their wine pours. Got a surprise top up because they felt we'd had a bit of a wait between courses then found out the new guy had stuffed up and given us a pinot noir when we should have had a beaujolais so they gave us the beaujolais as well. Good show. Both were delicious.

Ye Olde Bombay Curry.

If only you could make a curry in a pot look good because this recipe, an old faithful of mine, is the absolute ducks nuts. Has about 15 minutes of simmering to reduce the sauce and then she's go.

View attachment 959745
How do you find the induction top? I'm in a rental atm and wife text me to say there's a new big crack in the one at our house. I f'n hate the thing. It's 900mm of bench space we can't even use and yet it only has 4 elements biggest load of wank I've ever seen. Now the bloody thing has cracked neither of us know when right across the element so it must've come from normal use (putting a pan on it) somebody should blow induction cooktops up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back