Movies & TV The Hangar Game of Thrones Thread **SEASON 8 SPOILERS**

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok im going to say it, this season has been trash. Nice visuals, and they have done very well at showing what they have on a TV show.

But the absolute mad rush to sever storylines and move characters around has left a pretty sour taste in my mouth. Everyone would agree there are two main story points of note, endgame stories. You have the Iron throne and the War against the dead.

I had hoped that we would get some resolution to the Throne situation and then have a season about the Dead. Next season is 6 episodes. So they have to wrap up the incredibly complex plot of the iron throne and defeat this ancient unstoppable evil in 6 episodes. Yeah good luck making that not seem forced.

Absolutely nothing has happened this season of any real note, we are exactly where we started the season.

Characters and storylines so obviously cut with no real payoff, and its only going to get worse in this last episode the supposed longest of the season.

Melisindre, just disappears, just goes home. Riiiight
Meera, leaves bran because he didn't say thanks. ok?
Highgarden and house tyrell, wiped from the face of the earth in 10minutes. Oh but they aren't fighters.
Sand snakes, boring storyline but still, whoops teleporting bad guy fleet of ships instantly wipes them out. Leave the remains in a dungeon, storyline done.
Whole season of Sam cleaning chamber pots. With vague hints and nods to heritage, no backstory of WW, just nods from show makers about Jon wink wink nudge nudge guys. except at this point its not subtle.
Varys, suddenly a coward who is not on good terms with his queen, seemingly going to die but has become a pure background character
Littlefinger, ultimate schemer is reduced to playing two sisters against each other, is probably going to die too, his story is done.
Benjen, no real info on what he has been doing, what he has learned, just shows up to save some people twice then advises everyone that due to it taking 10minutes for him to mount a horse he is now here to die.

So now we are left with
Ultimate hero Jon who is the epitomy of good and justice a bunch of tick boxes of what a TV main character must be.
Dany who we are slowly realising isn't really fit to rule, showing traits of father there. But is hot and could get with Jon oooh the drama
Ultimate Villain Cersei, so evil, so smart, did we mention evil?

Throw in an ensemble cast of squabbling sisters, Supervillain and master of teleportation Euron and is he good is he bad Jamie. Western television at its finest.

Not impressed. I get they had to cut it down, I understand that this is probably the reason it was never going to work. But it looks like they had material for 2-3 more seasons, and were suddenly told, ok wrap it up. Panicked and resorted to typical storylines we have seen 100 times before.
I think a lot of it is pacing. Like why are people teleporting when you can split stuff over a couple of episodes instead? I think they took too long on the Dorne/Highgarden losses, would've been easier if Euron ambushed Dany's fleet before she arrived on Dragonstone. I'm sure he would've picked a few off in the dead of night without getting roasted, could've taken some of the Sandsnakes straight away as part of his initial offer to Cersei. That part seemed fast paced at the time but in hindsight I think it's because they overcomplicated it in the time they had. If you don't have time to do more, do less and do it properly.

Highgarden/Casterly Rock if it had to be done and the Field of Fire could've then all been brought forward, and split the ranging beyond the wall over a couple of episodes, mix it in with some actual conflict and issues with ruling in each of the kingdoms. Sansa could have some fun with the Northmen, the valemen and the wildlings not getting along. We haven't seen Sansa do much ruling since Arya arrived and started terrorising her. Over on dragonstone possibly the dragons still eating peoples kids or something to do with where the dragons are kept, possibly some people petitioning for help with the food supply or setting up farms (Dothraki are raiders who eat horse meat so not sure if they'd even know where to begin) before it's brought up with Daenerys. Does Cersei even have a small council or a hand? How can she have any allies if she doesn't give them some reason to follow, a seat at her table or whatever?

Top 5/10 death predictions anyone?

Order of most to least likely-

1. The Captured Wight
2. Littlefinger
3. Varys
4. Cersei's baby
5. Cersei

Top 5/10 death predictions anyone?

The Hound
The Mountain
Littlefinger
Cersei
Theon

Does Cersei even have a small council or a hand? How can she have any allies if she doesn't give them some reason to follow, a seat at her table or whatever?

Qyburn is her hand, and basically the only person we see advising her apart from Jaime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4. Cersei's baby
Separately from Cersei? Also might Qyburn have something to do with it? *creeped out at the thought*

Ser scalydude
The zombie wight thing? At first I thought you meant the Hound but then you said the hound separately :p

The Mountain
Interesting, CleganeBowl or something else?

Qyburn is her hand, and basically the only person we see advising her apart from Jaime.
Oh right, of course. So she has a pseudo-maester and her twin brother. How inspiring. I'm surprised she has any allies at all, although I guess she's buying some new ones with all that gold.

What is going on in Euron's head? Like why does he want to ally with Cersei, other than presumably to sit the Iron Throne? Do the dragons not scare him? Or is he going to get inside King's Landing and then turn on Cersei and ally with Daenerys... Do a Lannister on the Lannisters? Dany has to choose, marriage alliance with Euron or Jon? heh. If he does die I hope the Night's King gets him... I wonder what Viserion's fire does to a person now he's all frosty... Do you become an icicle and shatter into a billion pieces? Euron seems sort of unstoppable, but I think that'd stop him in his tracks.

Littlefinger
Grey Worm
Yara
Gendry
Mountain.

I don't think Beric will die, because I can't see him being put into a dangerous situation. I don't think he will go south with Dany and Jon and I don't think he'll stay at Eastwatch either.

Separately from Cersei? Also might Qyburn have something to do with it?.

I just likr the idea she cant protect her kids no matter what. I think its a strong stiry point.

Id actually forgotten about greyworm, id expected him to be dead due to that un needed scene with the translater chick. Maybe not yet.

Littlefinger
Grey Worm
Yara
Gendry
Mountain.

I don't think Beric will die, because I can't see him being put into a dangerous situation. I don't think he will go south with Dany and Jon and I don't think he'll stay at Eastwatch either.
I just likr the idea she cant protect her kids no matter what. I think its a strong stiry point.

Id actually forgotten about greyworm, id expected him to be dead due to that un needed scene with the translater chick. Maybe not yet.
I'm sort of surprised we haven't had a follow up of Grey Worm and Yara in particular already.

If these are all going to die in the last ep (alternative being somehow managing to find something to do with them next season) then I'm wondering how they'll manage it. Massive battle? More Mad Queen Cersei? More Mad Queen Daenerys?

Bets on where this parley is going to happen? Cersei's turf, Daenerys' or somewhere else?

I'm sort of surprised we haven't had a follow up of Grey Worm and Yara in particular already.

If these are all going to die in the last ep (alternative being somehow managing to find something to do with them next season) then I'm wondering how they'll manage it. Massive battle? More Mad Queen Cersei? More Mad Queen Daenerys?

Bets on where this parley is going to happen? Cersei's turf, Daenerys' or somewhere else?

I don't think they'll all die, but I'd say 1 or 2 will.

I think the meet n greet will happen at King's Landing. Assuming it happens in this episode, I don't think there's time to arrange a meeting at a different venue, unless Euron has taught people how to teleport.

If it's a neutral venue, I'd be thinking Harrenhal. It's about as neutral as it gets as far as castles go in Westeros. I don't think anyone occupies it at the moment do they? I think it's Littlefinger's by title, but I don't recall him being there. Storm's End could be another neutral venue. That's been empty since Renly left hasn't it?

I don't think they'll all die, but I'd say 1 or 2 will.

I think the meet n greet will happen at King's Landing. Assuming it happens in this episode, I don't think there's time to arrange a meeting at a different venue, unless Euron has taught people how to teleport.

If it's a neutral venue, I'd be thinking Harrenhal. It's about as neutral as it gets as far as castles go in Westeros. I don't think anyone occupies it at the moment do they? I think it's Littlefinger's by title, but I don't recall him being there. Storm's End could be another neutral venue. That's been empty since Renly left hasn't it?
Well if more than one person is dying then you either have separate plots and separate murders, or some sort of mass homocide event (which you then need to find a way of getting all the relevant people to).

Would it be in a castle? I think Daenerys might prefer a nice tinder dry field. Perhaps somewhere in the Reach, near Old Town? Or in King's Landing, where Cersei can fill it with a cache of wildfyre? Wait wait, they've been doing season one and two ripoffs all year haven't they? So does perhaps someone get beheaded à la Ned?

Storm's End, Highgarden, Casterly Rock, Harrenhal, Sunspear and Riverrun are probably empty. Titles are nominally one way or the other, but I don't think either side has much more than a banner and a token force to represent themselves at any of them as far as the show is concerned.
The Eyrie has Sweetrobin and a skeleton crew, unless they've climbed down for the winter. All his knights are in the North at Winterfell, which is obviously occupied.

If they're doing it in a way that makes sense it'd have to be somewhere that's nearby for Cersei. Daenerys can fly anywhere, Cersei is stuck with feet and horses (and wagons and litters)...

Well if more than one person is dying then you either have separate plots and separate murders, or some sort of mass homocide event (which you then need to find a way of getting all the relevant people to).
Littlefinger and one other wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility. Even last episode, which by GoT standards visited relatively few different places, still had the North and Winterfell featured.

Would it be in a castle? I think Daenerys might prefer a nice tinder dry field. Perhaps somewhere in the Reach, near Old Town? Or in King's Landing, where Cersei can fill it with a cache of wildfyre? Wait wait, they've been doing season one and two ripoffs all year haven't they? So does perhaps someone get beheaded à la Ned?

Storm's End, Highgarden, Casterly Rock, Harrenhal, Sunspear and Riverrun are probably empty. Titles are nominally one way or the other, but I don't think either side has much more than a banner and a token force to represent themselves at any of them as far as the show is concerned.
The Eyrie has Sweetrobin and a skeleton crew, unless they've climbed down for the winter. All his knights are in the North at Winterfell, which is obviously occupied.

If they're doing it in a way that makes sense it'd have to be somewhere that's nearby for Cersei. Daenerys can fly anywhere, Cersei is stuck with feet and horses (and wagons and litters)...

I think it would be in a castle. From the discussion between Dany and Tyrion last episode, it will be King's Landing. Didn't Tyrion reference something along the lines of that if Cersei set a trap then the dragons could just burn King's Landing to the ground?

I assume the Unsullied are still in Casterly Rock and the Lannisters are still around Highgarden, so I'd say as neutral venues, they're out.

Did we ever find out what happened to Riverrun? Last I remember, Edmure came in and handed it over to the Lannisters. Do we know anything after that?

-Littlefinger (partially wishful thinking, the girls can't be that dumb surely- plus Sansa has the knife now which would be very appropriate)
-The Mountain (or at the very least Cleganebowl)
-No one else that I'm invested in one way or the other

Littlefinger and one other wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility. Even last episode, which by GoT standards visited relatively few different places, still had the North and Winterfell featured.
True, but there's no catalyst for deaths other than Littlefinger's. Could be on a whim though, or a really quick set up like the Tarlys. I think Yara is finished, they don't need her anymore. The problem is that Game of Thrones is all about killing people that you still need, like Ned had hired a ship and was making plans to leave before he was thrown in the dungeons, and two other POV characters' fates were directly dependent on him at the time. Robb was never a POV character, but once Ned was gone you were sort of hoping for Cat to be able to do something useful, and then the Red Wedding happened. Killing them once their arc is finished (i.e. Ramsay) is lame.

I think it would be in a castle. From the discussion between Dany and Tyrion last episode, it will be King's Landing. Didn't Tyrion reference something along the lines of that if Cersei set a trap then the dragons could just burn King's Landing to the ground?
King's Landing is sort of a city isn't it? There's a couple of other locations there aside from the Red Keep and the Sept of Baelor. I wouldn't trust an indoor space on Cersei's turf with Cersei having prior knowledge of it. If Cersei sets a trap and they burn King's Landing to the ground, there's no guarantee they don't lose their own lives in the conflict. Tyrion was the one that started with the wildfyre back at the Battle of Blackwater Bay against Stannis so he must know that's an issue, unless of course they think Cersei must have run out of it.

Scratch that, I know where they'll be. The dragon pit. Now I think about it, I think I remember seeing Jon there in the trailer... What the heck is Jon doing there though? Just as Dany's advisor or something?

"Some whores use the Dragonpit as a place to entertain their customers and one of them, along with their patron, falls through the floor. There they find a hidden stash of wildfire, placed by Lord Rossart during Robert's Rebellion."
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Dragonpit

What if Cersei was on the receiving end of her own medicine.....

I assume the Unsullied are still in Casterly Rock and the Lannisters are still around Highgarden, so I'd say as neutral venues, they're out.

Did we ever find out what happened to Riverrun? Last I remember, Edmure came in and handed it over to the Lannisters. Do we know anything after that?
I'm not sure in the show, I think Edmure was locked up under the Twins. Arya could have let him out, or one of the Frey women. I guess Riverrun must be in Lannister hands, because that's the whole point of Jaime going to the Riverlands, but I don't think the Blackfish escaped in the show and they never introduced Genna, so it must be an unnamed Lannister skeleton crew?

-Littlefinger (partially wishful thinking, the girls can't be that dumb surely- plus Sansa has the knife now which would be very appropriate)
It's really hard to tell what is going on in that whole storyline. The way they explain it in the behind the episode videos it is pretty straight forward, but then you see Sansa doing the exact opposite of what Littlefinger told her to do (use Brienne as a shield from Arya). Obviously Arya can also use Brienne as a shield if Sansa meant her harm, but I don't think Sansa does (or at least she has no reason to).

So Brienne and Jon and Dany and Tyrion and Cersei all in one place? Or does Brienne meet with Cersei before/after the parley? Brienne will have to teleport to be there in time, no UberDragon for you.

Found my new favourite crackpot theory. Bran can warg into the tiny wolf on the pommel of Jon's sword and see what he sees. This would explain how Benjen knew where he had to be and when and why the eyes appeared to 'flicker' when Jon gets out of the ice lake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back