The Hangar Motoring Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Grand Tour. I'm only on episode two, but it's not bad for a new show trying to establish itself (and not tread on any toes wrt copyright).
Some of the jokes do get a bit repetitive by the end of the season iirc, but overall wasn't bad

It goes alright and gets better as the season progresses. I think the next could of seasons will be even better as they work out what works and what doesn't.

Wifey just sent me a pic of her shattered rear windscreen after backing into a tree.

Can't wait to hear how it was the tree's fault.
Unless it was bamboo and she left it in one place for a few days, no excuses I guess ;)

Unless it was bamboo and she left it in one place for a few days, no excuses I guess ;)
Bamboo?

I didn't have to wait long. Was in Kings Park and apparently there was this branch that was in a bad spot. Her reverse sensors started going off but she said she wasn't even close to the curb and couldn't see anything so just kept going. It's clearly the tree's/Kings Park management's fault.

Bamboo?

I didn't have to wait long. Was in Kings Park and apparently there was this branch that was in a bad spot. Her reverse sensors started going off but she said she wasn't even close to the curb and couldn't see anything so just kept going. It's clearly the tree's/Kings Park management's fault.
Is that better or worse than driving like a chicken s**t and braking every time a parking/lane/blindspot/overspeed sensor goes off?

Is that better or worse than driving like a chicken s**t and braking every time a parking/lane/blindspot/overspeed sensor goes off?
Whichever one doesn't result in a smashed windscreen that'll cost $500 to replace is better.

I mean she even had someone in the car with her. How about asking her to just jump out and have a quick look if there's anything there since you're arriving and will be getting out anyway? Oh no. Just ignore the sensors and keep going!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lets just mark this one down to human error.
The tree isn't human though? What are you talking about? o_O

She had a bingle last year too and it was the other person's fault because they shouldn't have been there when wifey drove off. Never mind the fact she wasn't looking where she was going and just drove into the other car. I mean, she's right that the other car shouldn't have been there but who drives off not looking where they're going? Everyone apparently! Perfectly normal! :drunk:

So yeah pretty good result in the end (considering). Wifey managed to get someone out to replace the glass at her work and was still able to drive home at the same time for $550. She has stuffed the rear window washer though but can now squirt water directly at anyone tailgating her so possibly a bonus of sorts.

Interestingly the guy told her that she's lucky she doesn't drive an X-5 as it would have been $2,500 to replace. He said he doesn't know what it is about BMW drivers but changing those are his bread and butter. Does a heap of them.

Thought Id throw up my car list here.
I dont remember when I got what so Im going to go by make..

Nissan
92 Patrol ST TD42 (current)
92 Skyline Gtst Type M
89 Pulsar
01 Pulsar
87 Exa
88 Exa
89 Exa
87 Patrol
88 Patrol

Holden
92 Commodore SS
94 Commodore Berlina
95 Commodore SS
95 Commodore Berlina
97 Commodore Berlina
98 Commodore Berlina
99 Commodore S
99 Commodore S

Ford
93 Fairmont Ghia
95 Futura
96 Futura
03 Falcon XL Ute

Toyota
91 Corolla
93 Corolla Seca

Mazda
98 323 Astina
00 E200

Mitsubishi
97 Magna

26 total..

Yeah it's funny when you think back that 0.08 used to be the limit.

Not here it weren’t.
The testing to work out what the limit should be in victoria was to give a bunch of uni students Orange Juice spiked with varying amounts of alcohol (including none as a control) put them in a car and send them around a course the car club had setup and see how many markers they hit. For some of the car club guys it was challenge to how fast they could go around the course so were hitting markers even sober. I'm told there was one girl who was so drunk she had to be helped to the car but drove so carefully she didn't hit a single marker.

Been watching this American show on Netflix called Fastest Car. They take one person with a supercar and pit it against 3 other people with 'sleeper' cars in a quarter mile drag race. Show is only 45ish minutes long. They start 7 days before the race and introduce all the car owners and follow their preparations leading up to the race. The supercar owner has no idea what the sleepers are until the day and the sleepers are only told what supercar they'll be racing. Most of the time the sleeper people are more worried about the other sleepers given most of them are running drag cars whereas supercars tend to be track cars. The reason I put sleeper in quotes is because some of the cars I've seen are anything but sleepers. Bit hard to be a sleeper with a massive scoop on the bonnet and side pipes but yeah.. I've been enjoying it. Some of the supercar owners are completely ott w***ers and it's quite hilarious from that perspective.

This guy, Bryan Salamone - divorce attorney, and his 'concubine' (their words) were a hoot...
61236890.jpg

He was disqualified for a false start after talking large amounts of s**t before the race btw. I bet he's actually a fun guy to hang out with though if you can ever cut through the bullshit bravado.

Question for people with car knowledge..

The engine warning light on a 2010 commodore, Ive heard it's quite temperamental.

Mine is on as of today, Ive read many stories that upon tskingbit to the dealer they say the drive chain? Needs replacing, 3000, others say it's because the sensor is so fine that anything can set it off.

Anyhow I did run the tank pretty dry today, I found a servo and put some in but about 30 mins later it started running rough on idle, I guessed it may have been tank sediment so out in some injector cleaner.

It's driving fine but when slowing to stop it idles rough, it nearly cut out once, that's when the engine warning light came on.

My question is, once that light comes on, it stays on, even if any fault has remedied itself.

I understand the best thing to do is get them to read the error log on the computer to see what the fault it, do any mechanics have this ability? Or dealer only?

Or I could disscinnect the red battery for 5 mins which rests the computer and light will go, I guess if there's a proper issue it will come back on again and I know. Wise or folly?

Thirdly would tank sediment cause a rough idle or an I making it up? And would injector cleaner fix it if so?

I really don't wanna get reamed on this...

If it has enough oil, water and fuel, has no leaks, smoke, or unusual noises, the temperature is in the normal range and the tyres are okay then it’s not something they’ll be able to diagnose without plugging it into a computer anyway. You can always get a quote and then take it somewhere else if you don’t like where they’re going with it though. Known faults/warranty stuff I’d go to a dealer - and that’s from someone who has a family full of mechanics.

Not sure what disconnecting the battery would achieve, but it can’t do any harm. If it actually did harm then I highly doubt any car would ever be allowed back on the road after a flat battery without a full roadworthy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back