The Hangar Motoring Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate just bought a VY era Statesman. Has had a 6 speed manual put in, 5.7 bored out to 6.3, supercharged with a twin 3 inch exhaust. It's got something like 600hp at the rear wheels. Will probably be going for a spin in it some time today. If I don't post again that's what happened.
has he upgraded the brakes and suspension to match?

it's not been signed off by anyone
I don't think that's a thing anyway as far as cars are concerned? Has to pass a roadworthy for registration purposes and if you want to insure it then you have to list any modifications you want covered by the policy. But it's not like wiring your house where you need a certified electrician to do it or sign it off or anything... I highly doubt hotrodders and that sort are signed off by anyone

I don't think that's a thing anyway as far as cars are concerned? Has to pass a roadworthy for registration purposes and if you want to insure it then you have to list any modifications you want covered by the policy. But it's not like wiring your house where you need a certified electrician to do it or sign it off or anything... I highly doubt hotrodders and that sort are signed off by anyone
We don't even have roadworthies over here (thank *). I'm talking for peace of mind though. If I hadn't had anything to do with the mods I'd prefer to see it signed off by an engineer or something. Just to clarify the car already had all this stuff done to it. My mate just bought the finished product. Someone lost a lot of money somewhere though.

It is a thing. It depends on the level of modification and it also varies from state to state. I don't know much in the way of details as pretty much all my "knowledge" comes from watching Mighty Car Mods

Sleeper generally refers to looking like your average road car so it probably counts
I thought it was just as much about it being unassuming aurally as well until you stomp it? Nevertheless I think it might genuinely need a scoop on the bonnet. The supercharger barely fits and the heatshielding under the bonnet has been removed to accommodate it. :/

So my old Mitsubishi Magna has finally carked it, was my first car which I got from a family friend.

Ive been reading up on tips for buying a new car but don’t think I can wait for the prime cheap prices for newer cars but if anyone has any recommendations for either dealers or cars that are in the 20k range.

Im not a big cars guy it’s usually just a point a to b thing for me and as long as it is reliable I’m not fussed on some of the bells and whistles

So my old Mitsubishi Magna has finally carked it, was my first car which I got from a family friend.

Ive been reading up on tips for buying a new car but don’t think I can wait for the prime cheap prices for newer cars but if anyone has any recommendations for either dealers or cars that are in the 20k range.

Im not a big cars guy it’s usually just a point a to b thing for me and as long as it is reliable I’m not fussed on some of the bells and whistles
If you're not fussed about cars then try to find something used for closer to $10k. Camrys, Corollas, Lancers and ASXs are worth considering because they're cheap, ubiquitous and decently reliable. Have a look on Carsales for some examples close in your area.

If you want something new or near-new $20k, there's probably still some previous shape Mazda3s in caryards and Golfs are fairly well priced at the moment because there's a new model next year. Can personally vouch for the Mazda and lots of people I know like the Golf.

If you're not fussed about cars then try to find something used for closer to $10k. Camrys, Corollas, Lancers and ASXs are worth considering because they're cheap, ubiquitous and decently reliable. Have a look on Carsales for some examples close in your area.

If you want something new or near-new $20k, there's probably still some previous shape Mazda3s in caryards and Golfs are fairly well priced at the moment because there's a new model next year. Can personally vouch for the Mazda and lots of people I know like the Golf.
Yeah been on carsales for a couple of hours today haha

Think I narrowed in on a 2014 Ford Falcon, around $17k with good km’s and on Gas aswell so should be cheap to run.

Saw a lancer i liked aswell might go have a look at both over the next week

9 years ago we bought a Hyundai IX35 as a family car, then 2 years ago I bought a Hyundai Accent for my runabout.

I've been impressed with both, especially considering the price with both bought new. Very reliable, next to no maintenance beyond the services and wheel alignments/balances, and cheap to run.

I know they're not everyone's cup of tea because they're on the cheaper end of the Asian manufactured car spectrum (seems to still be a stigma there) but I have zero complaints 9 years in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i just sold my old motorcycle, been trying since april. nearly every prick pulled the old "oh you have to drop your price, we are in a pandemic, no one will spend money on it" while they offered me under half what i had it advertised for.
held my nerve for a while as i was in no rush to sell. did drop it a bit for the lady who bought it in the end though, mostly because she was actually good to deal with and didnt * me around. funny how that works. just glad i dont have to deal with morons on the daily now

So this is my new baby. Got it last Tuesday and ran it in with a trip to Lakes Entrance.
It’s a CX-30. Not too small but not soccer mom either.
It’s a smooth ride. But my first car with bells and whistles and it’s quite bossy.

View attachment 1044755
We had a look at those along with the cx5 for wifey when she was in the market. Very sexy interior design and comfy af. Congrats!

She chose a 2017 Lexus nx200t fsport. Only had 11000k on it so pretty much brand new but without the new car price tag. I have to say it's a pretty nice car. I'm a bit jealous.
Nice. That is a very nice car, and good looking too.

A member of my family got similar deal on an XF jag during covid. Those deals are great when you get em. Paid a little over half new car $. Got a bit lucky with the covid economic uncertainty/doom and gloom I reckon. It’s all bounced back now and no such deals to be had when I was looking!

Nice. That is a very nice car, and good looking too.

A member of my family got similar deal on an XF jag during covid. Those deals are great when you get em. Paid a little over half new car $. Got a bit lucky with the covid economic uncertainty/doom and gloom I reckon. It’s all bounced back now and no such deals to be had when I was looking!
I was looking at xf jags for myself actually. They had a black one where wifey bought hers and the guy reckoned I was too young to drive a car like that. Bit of an odd thing to say as a salesman I thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back