Music The Hangar Music Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm one of those people that hates on the Hottest 100, just because.

Actually not sure why - I think my motivation stems from growing up with people that used to try and pass themselves off as some sort of music intellectual because they were 'in' to Triple J.

I mean, it's music. People can like what they like - doesn't stress me in the slightest, and certainly doesn't make you (not you Loon) any more appreciative of music because you think you're all edgy and progressive.

Had a triggered moment a couple months ago actually, Birds of Tokyo had just released the song 'Empire'. I liked it, pretty catchy. I went and had a look at the video clip, and I can see in the comments, some ass-clown complaining with his proverbial nose in the air about how basic the chord progression was.

Yeah righto hero, how many times has your Mum told you to turn the amp down this month?

Thanks for posting I'll watch this later on when I'm not at work but just on this, he pretty much had to after Syd lost it. None of the others had the song writing chops. If he hadn't taken over the band would have limped along in mehville before evaporating imo.

its a true case of a symbiotic relationship

without rogers song writing it was gone

without gilmours musical ability ...gone

Floyd sans waters was missing something... its too melancholic or something, it needs the politicised thoughtful lyrics - I think?

its a true case of a symbiotic relationship

without rogers song writing it was gone

without gilmours musical ability ...gone

Floyd sans waters was missing something... its too melancholic or something, it needs the politicised thoughtful lyrics - I think?
Yeah Roger was the lyricist and tune smith and David was the solo man and voice (even though Rog did sing quite a bit too). Nick was the peacekeeper and Richard, despite always contributing nice keyboard work as far as I'm concerned, seemed to be the guy that always copped it from everyone. The only one that was actually kicked out of the band at one point.

Actually not sure why - I think my motivation stems from growing up with people that used to try and pass themselves off as some sort of music intellectual because they were 'in' to Triple J.

I mean, it's music. People can like what they like - doesn't stress me in the slightest, and certainly doesn't make you (not you Loon) any more appreciative of music because you think you're all edgy and progressive.

Had a triggered moment a couple months ago actually, Birds of Tokyo had just released the song 'Empire'. I liked it, pretty catchy. I went and had a look at the video clip, and I can see in the comments, some ass-clown complaining with his proverbial nose in the air about how basic the chord progression was.

Yeah righto hero, how many times has your Mum told you to turn the amp down this month?

See Kings Of Leon and their career and how they apparently 'sold out' due to being on radio a bit more. They still do plenty of good s**t.

I don't see how this relates to the Hottest 100.

I'm not one who listens to triplej anymore (or much radio at all for that matter) as there's too much crap to find the gems in between. But I'll vote at some point to support the bands that deserve the exposure that it brings. As it stands there isn't much of an alternative for the step between community and commercial radio.

I'm not one who listens to triplej anymore (or much radio at all for that matter) as there's too much crap to find the gems in between. But I'll vote at some point to support the bands that deserve the exposure that it brings. As it stands there isn't much of an alternative for the step between community and commercial radio.
Does Melbourne have like a community radio station that survives on sponsors and focuses on supporting local music? I'm not sure how else you'd describe it but the equivalent of RTRFM in Perth.

Yeah Roger was the lyricist and tune smith and David was the solo man and voice (even though Rog did sing quite a bit too). Nick was the peacekeeper and Richard, despite always contributing nice keyboard work as far as I'm concerned, seemed to be the guy that always copped it from everyone. The only one that was actually kicked out of the band at one point.

I always liked the kind of juxtaposition of their two voices. Like most of their songs were two sided types of stories, you had roger with the pained desperate style lyric and Dave with the smooth relaxed vibe. I'm thinking comfortably numb, hey you... Works well!

See Kings Of Leon and their career and how they apparently 'sold out' due to being on radio a bit more. They still do plenty of good s**t.
From what I can gather some of the w***ers have moved onto being played on triple J is selling out these days.

Does Melbourne have like a community radio station that survives on sponsors and focuses on supporting local music? I'm not sure how else you'd describe it but the equivalent of RTRFM in Perth.
yeah, RRR and PBS are the Melbourne ones I know. 4ZZZ in Brisbane and Edge in Tassie.

I don't see how this relates to the Hottest 100.

In my own lifetime I've had more than a few people that I found to be complete w***ers that obsessed over the Hottest 100?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also my pick for album of the year off the top of my head would be between:
Alex Lahey - Love you like a brother
Tired Lion - Dumb Days

probably give Tired Lion the Edge atm

Next Year it will be Press Club
Royal Blood's How Did We Get So Dark for me, followed by Love You Like A Brother.

That is my album of the year by far. Song of the year for me is "Amsterdam" by Nothing But Thieves I look forward to them playing that song when they open for Muse on Monday night
They're opening for Muse?
Damn I probably would have gone of I knew that. Not enthused at all by the setlists Muse have been playing.

They're opening for Muse?
Damn I probably would have gone of I knew that. Not enthused at all by the setlists Muse have been playing.
Yep I was super stoked when I found that out, I haven't seen Muse live before but last time they came down Biffy Clyro opened for them so I had a feeling a young up and coming UK act would open.

Muse setlists have been meh but with any luck they could surprise.

Yep I was super stoked when I found that out, I haven't seen Muse live before but last time they came down Biffy Clyro opened for them so I had a feeling a young up and coming UK act would open.

Muse setlists have been meh but with any luck they could surprise.
Last time it was Birds of Tokyo who were good. Biffy Clyro were the tour before that.

Muse was amazing last night didn't expect anything less than a kickass show. Nothing but Thieves also very impressive although their set was a bit shorter than I would have liked. A couple of my mates after they played loved them and a dude next to us raves to us about em, safe to say they left an impression despite only the playing 7 songs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back