Music The Hangar Music Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey I came across this youtube doco thingy on Zamrock last night. Never heard of it before but basically when Zambia got its independence from Britain in the mid 60's the new guy was all for everything Zambia and even decreed that 90% of radio content had to be homegrown and there was this brief but vibrant scene which has become known as Zamrock - heavily influenced by the sounds of the day like the Beatles and the Stones but with an African flavour. Zambia's main export was copper which was on the up at that point so there was a big mining worker community which helped fuel the live scene. Not a lot of recordings exist though because there weren't a lot of recording studios in Zambia. ANYWAY.. here's the full debut album of one of the big bands to come out of that era.

Yes please.

I may have posted this one before, I think it would also float your boat:

Thanks for putting me on to this guy...love the way he breaks down songs
Yeah he's great. He even got his own Gibson signature guitar recently which I guess is an acknowledgement of all the work he's done on youtube. I actually really like it too and would totally buy one if I could get it. It looks like the TV yellow Les Paul Special I had in my youth which I traded in on my 84 Les Paul Standard because I just WANTED A PROPER LES PAUL and I really miss it. Only difference is the double cutaway and the switch position.

I’ve only listened to a couple of this guys podcasts but they have been pretty interesting. Love the way he gives a shout out to the guitar solo at the end of this song (how it starts with one sustained note, how it’s at the end of the song which is better than having it in the middle of this song in this case)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1158302View attachment 1158303
The first one was a bargain. The second one not so much but they just don't come up very often. The most expensive guitar I've ever bought. I felt a bit sick until I got it home and spent some quality time with it. Omg it's amazing. And yes I even ripped out the Friends theme and summer of 69.
Oh man that looks good...bring on the jangle pop!! ❤️❤️❤️
So hard to get a Rickenbacker in this country, you go on to their website and they won’t send orders to Australia. Saw a 325 (early/Hamburg John Lennon, Suzanna Hoffs) at nearly 50% off at Billy Hyde when they were going **** up & I’m still kicking myself that I didn’t get it.

I just Googled. o_O
Yeah it wasn't that much but it makes me wonder if I could get that much.

Oh man that looks good...bring on the jangle pop!! ❤❤❤
So hard to get a Rickenbacker in this country, you go on to their website and they won’t send orders to Australia. Saw a 325 (early/Hamburg John Lennon, Suzanna Hoffs) at nearly 50% off at Billy Hyde when they were going **** up & I’m still kicking myself that I didn’t get it.
I only heard from a mate who used to work in music shops afterwards that you haven't been able to buy new in Australia for like 10 years or something? I could have sworn I'd seen Rickys new at shops albeit in limited numbers but he assured me I was mistaken. They must have all been second hand I guess.

This one is a 2005 and it was being sold at the shop on consignment. It had only been there 24 hours and I stupidly still tried to haggle but they weren't having a bar of it and I knew as well as they did how rare they were so I just paid full price in the end. I've been looking for a 12 string for a while now and was on the verge of buying a Mexican Fender 12 with the hockey stick headstock but I just didn't think it was worth the money and then this came up and I thought I will probably never get this opportunity again. Pretty stoked now that I did it. It's such a beautiful looking and sounding guitar. I am not looking forward to changing the strings though..

Yeah it wasn't that much but it makes me wonder if I could get that much.

I only heard from a mate who used to work in music shops afterwards that you haven't been able to buy new in Australia for like 10 years or something? I could have sworn I'd seen Rickys new at shops albeit in limited numbers but he assured me I was mistaken. They must have all been second hand I guess.

This one is a 2005 and it was being sold at the shop on consignment. It had only been there 24 hours and I stupidly still tried to haggle but they weren't having a bar of it and I knew as well as they did how rare they were so I just paid full price in the end. I've been looking for a 12 string for a while now and was on the verge of buying a Mexican Fender 12 with the hockey stick headstock but I just didn't think it was worth the money and then this came up and I thought I will probably never get this opportunity again. Pretty stoked now that I did it. It's such a beautiful looking and sounding guitar. I am not looking forward to changing the strings though..
I’ve just watched the first 20 minutes of this on Netflix and there is a lot of love for the 12 string Rickenbacker. Didn’t know that Beatle George had the 2nd one ever made.

I’ve just watched the first 20 minutes of this on Netflix and there is a lot of love for the 12 string Rickenbacker. Didn’t know that Beatle George had the 2nd one ever made.

Oooo I will check that out for sure. Odd I didn't see it pop up when I was browsing tonight.

The first and second things I did when I got it home were play the Fadd9 opening chord of Hard Day's Night and try to play George's solo. Deceptively hard as the fingering pattern for the fast bit feels quite awkward.. along with being fast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back