Politics The Hangar Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to back myself up, Rasmussen has just released a poll which shows Trump +2, and is the first poll that was entirely done post debate.

Last week the same poll had Clinton +7. The reality is not that 9% of voters have changed their minds, it's that the tapes were enough to scare people away from telling a pollster that they were voting Trump, but the debate made it safe again. Their ballot box intention remained the same throughout.

******* media.

There are so many important things occurring in the world right now and yet we are focused on four poor souls who died in Dreamworld.

Sad for those who lost someone but it's hardly newsworthy and I could not give a s**t.

well i wasn't expecting that after I saw the first sentence

if four people dying on a theme park ride isn't newsworthy then I'm not sure what is. the inevitable personal tributes, footage of people lying down flowers, etc, sure there's an argument there, but the actual incident is newsworthy. It probably is an incident that's covered better by paper than by the news

******* media.

There are so many important things occurring in the world right now and yet we are focused on four poor souls who died in Dreamworld.

Sad for those who lost someone but it's hardly newsworthy and I could not give a s**t.
The issue is over the safety of the ride. ABC have covered it quite well (I rarely watch any other news)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well personally I'm quite interested in it. I don't watch commercial news, but I've been following that particular issue through online media pretty much since it happened. May those that died rest in peace, and my thoughts are with the children and families, witnesses, park employees and emergency services personnel. It's not just them and the flowers out the front and such that are interesting though.

I've also been there and been on that ride relatively recently, I remember some of the other rides being closed for maintenance or stopping while I was on it (not necessarily just at Dreamworld either). In one instance I went back to a park at a later date specifically to go on a ride that had been closed during our earlier visit. There's also the potential repercussions that interest me, accusations of negligence, of maintenance issues. It's a bit too close to home in that respect.

And then there's the people whose lives will eventually be effected if the tourism industry takes a hit as a result of this. I don't think there is much else in the Gold Coast besides beaches, a few tourist attractions and the associated accomodation/hospitality and transport services (and a couple of sports teams).

As far as commercial media is concerned, if you're expecting news you'd be disappointed nine times out of every ten.

Ive mentioned before we were on the green lantern at movieworld last year , finished, hopped in the car, ten minutes later radio report that it had gotten stuck trapping ppl upside down.

Makes you wonder how often stuff happens and gets swept

The issue is media saturation, getting opinions of people who worked at Dreamworld 25 years ago etc, and why the * weren't they speaking up back then? Bagging the terminology of the medicos - maybe don't shove the camera in the face of someone who is trying to come to grips with what he just witnessed.

It's newsworthy, for sure, but for the love of god stop the saturation, let the investigation run its course, then report the results and outcomes.

My thoughts are with the families of the victims. Wrong place, wrong time, it could've easily been one of us or someone we know.

Ive mentioned before we were on the green lantern at movieworld last year , finished, hopped in the car, ten minutes later radio report that it had gotten stuck trapping ppl upside down.

Makes you wonder how often stuff happens and gets swept
Yep, we were there the day before. I went on it twice at about the same time of day ot stopped too, around the time of the parade when the line was minimal.

Like I just said, wrong place, wrong time.

The Green Lantern was the ride I was talking about that I went back for after it had been closed for maintenance – a few months before the incident you're talking about. Scary that that's MovieWorld too, because it's part of the other theme park group on the Gold Coast. :\

I don't get the whinging about the media attention. The beauty of this life is you have ample choices. Tune out and vote with your feet if you don't like it.
The next point is that if you're focussed on the media and not asking why people are clicking/watching/listening, you're failing to 'seek to understand' properly.

People still depend on the media to get their information in one form or another so they can't really black out to extent they might like to if they want to be at least somewhat up to speed with current events, but it's become ever more 24/7 news cycle and outrage focussed. That's where the annoyance comes from.

People still depend on the media to get their information in one form or another so they can't really black out to extent they might like to if they want to be at least somewhat up to speed with current events, but it's become ever more 24/7 news cycle and outrage focussed. That's where the annoyance comes from.

You're trying to make an argument that people don't have total freedom. I totally disagree. For example, you can choose to read your news. This gives you the ability to scroll a website or flick a newspaper page if there's a story you reject as news. There's SO much other content that it's not like you miss out on the rest of the news because of one Dreamworld story.

I won't labour it any further than saying it's first-world whinging (not calling you a whinger specifically - I like you Doss).

I listen to ABC radio on the way to work (when parliament isn't sitting of course) and scan an email feed of collated finance based articles each morning. That's it. I used to read the paper every day, watch the news every night. Don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. If the story is big enough, I'll usually hear about it on here. :$

Remove this Banner Ad

Back