Politics The Hangar Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Does he, though? Where has he said that?

He's probably been the best infrastructure Premier Melbourne's ever had. He had his flaws (the security during lockdowns largely) but he's been very good at getting stuff done by and large.

In any case I'd expect him to maybe be Premier another 2 years, 3 at most before handing over to Jacinta Allen.
Fixed that for you.

Typically I'm an ALP voter (but not always) but I can't bring myself to vote for a party that Andrews leads. I voted for the Labor party in the last state election but the thing that disturbs me is our rising debt. When the Coalition last came to power (2010-11), the state owed about $11.8. At the end of the 21-22 financial year the state has over $100 billion of debt and it is expected to climb to $150 billion debt by 2025-26 financial year.

Anyone care to explain how we are possibly going to pay that off? We have more debt than NSW and Queensland combined.

We have had a problem in health care for a long time now (before covid) and the Labor party have been in charge for a lot of the past 16 years.

I would have liked a James Merlino type stepping up to take the premiers position, but I really don't know who I'll be voting for next Saturday.
Bitterly disappointed we'll never see a Merlino Government.

Does he, though? Where has he said that?

He's probably been the best infrastructure Premier Victoria's ever had. He had his flaws (the security during lockdowns largely) but he's been very good at getting stuff done by and large.

In any case I'd expect him to maybe be Premier another 2 years, 3 at most before handing over to Jacinta Allen.
Not if you live outside of Melbourne he isnt. Basically neglected the greater West in terms of infrastructure and don't get me started on regional Victoria.

You also left out
  • the branch stacking scandal which unfolded under his watch
  • a July 2022 IBAC report which slammed him and the ALP for unethical behaviour like the red shirt scandal, misusing 388k of price money on the 2014 election, using volunteers for factional work...
  • A fresh IBAC in just this month over the awarding of two grants to a Labor union before before 2018 election

I can't stand any of the major parties and won't be voting for any of them tbh, but calling Andrews the 'best of' anything is a stretch.

How to vote in the upper house (above the line vs below the line):

Group voting tickets for the upper house are available here:

"How to vote" cards for the lower house are due by Friday so hopefully they'll be available online somewhere after that.
They're all up as of this afternoon - https://www.vec.vic.gov.au/htvc

The Andrews government has done some very good stuff and some not so good stuff.

The alternative government is a party that has been well and truly infiltrated by the loon religious far-right and whose main MO is to court the cooker vote and continue to try and clumsily import American culture wars.

So no, I hope the government does not change even though I will almost certainly be voting Greens myself. Labor are flawed; Liberal are ******* dangerous.

He's a better than even chance of winning again, but there are plenty who are not a fan of his, myself included. Which also doesn't make said people Nazis, bigots, racists, etc, as the man himself would like you to believe.

I'd say the odds are a bit better than 'better than even'.

The minor parties clearly aren't going to win Government, and the LNP is clearly not going to win Government.

It's how many seats the Greens and Independents end up with that's the question, not whether Andrews' will be Premier after the election or not.

However bad Andrews is, Guy is worse. The LNP (State & Federal) needs a massive cleanout to remove the right-wing religious influence from the party, then they might have a chance at the following State election.

I'd say the odds are a bit better than 'better than even'.

The minor parties clearly aren't going to win Government, and the LNP is clearly not going to win Government.

It's how many seats the Greens and Independents end up with that's the question, not whether Andrews' will be Premier after the election or not.

However bad Andrews is, Guy is worse. The LNP (State & Federal) needs a massive cleanout to remove the right-wing religious influence from the party, then they might have a chance at the following State election.
It’s too late, the far-right religious infiltration of the party is now too entrenched in nearly every state, bar Tasmania and possibly NSW.

They’re not going to return towards the centre now.

It’s too late, the far-right religious infiltration of the party is now too entrenched in nearly every state, bar Tasmania and possibly NSW.

Unfortunately for them, young people who'll be the future voter base don't appear to love far-right religious parties.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no centre anymore. There's only the tolerable left and extreme far right. :)

I could maybe get on board with the extreme right if they were any good at extreme sports? Not even a kickflip in sight.

iu

No seriously. ALP is barely left in the old sense anymore. If you believe otherwise then your Overton window is irretrievably buggered.
That's coz it's left in the new sense.

Which is further left than the old sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back