Politics The Hangar Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Matters not, I got an infraction for it under the rigid guidelines and objective rules of 'shitposting'

On the whole experience thing, I may be a little in the dark but I'm curious as to why people consider military postings to be a substitute for elected office. Because surely Grant and Eisenhower are in that conversation.

As for political experience it's worth pointing out how little experience W. Wilson had and how much the likes of Nixon, Harding and Jackson had. Everyone starts at 0 from inauguration day.

In all seriousness, who Trump will surround himself with possibly worries me more. Pence is a nasty nice piece of work, his views on abortion are frightening. There's talk of Sarah Palin, she who says she knows about Russia because she can see them from Alaska across the 125km-wide Bering Strait. Sure thing, Sarah.

Have faith in the galloping bureaucracy that thwarts most movement. Trump has his Deplorables but he's a long way off uniting the party.

Ralphisms catching on!

The apoplexy and total melts of the American media and all these celebs who are convinced they know about this stuff is serious tug material.

I've been bitterly dissapointed in Trumps public persona since he won. It's like he had a personality transplant.
I fully expected him to be holding press conferences in a big chair stroking a white cat.

Identity politics is, as I have said before, the worst. The Democrats decided in the early 70s that it was also the way that they would gain and keep power, and strove to create a coalition of identity groups that would have a permanent majority of the voting population. This helps explain why the GOP has long been more suspicious of mass immigration - one of those identity groups is Hispanics, who have rapidly grown to be a significant proportion of the American population, particularly in cities, which have turned into Democrat strongholds. It wasn't all that long ago that Reagan won places like California, Illinois, Massachusetts, Washington and New York twice. Totally unthinkable now.

Unfortunately for that strategy, it turns out that people are willing to vote differently to the way they are told that group is meant to vote. It also meant that they sacrificed a lot of states that they saw as worthless because they had too few people. And, above all, it meant that the one group that reliably voted Democrat since FDR - workers in the industrial north - have now left the party as well, because they have been ignored by them for so long.

Two party politics is bad news.

Identity politics is, as I have said before, the worst. The Democrats decided in the early 70s that it was also the way that they would gain and keep power, and strove to create a coalition of identity groups that would have a permanent majority of the voting population. This helps explain why the GOP has long been more suspicious of mass immigration - one of those identity groups is Hispanics, who have rapidly grown to be a significant proportion of the American population, particularly in cities, which have turned into Democrat strongholds. It wasn't all that long ago that Reagan won places like California, Illinois, Massachusetts, Washington and New York twice. Totally unthinkable now.

Unfortunately for that strategy, it turns out that people are willing to vote differently to the way they are told that group is meant to vote. It also meant that they sacrificed a lot of states that they saw as worthless because they had too few people. And, above all, it meant that the one group that reliably voted Democrat since FDR - workers in the industrial north - have now left the party as well, because they have been ignored by them for so long.

Two party politics is bad news.
Yep, I broadly agree with that. The older I get, the more convinced I am that the best form of government is a benign dictatorship.

Yep, I broadly agree with that. The older I get, the more convinced I am that the best form of government is a benign dictatorship.

It is, but is also higher risk. You are more likely to get a great government, and more likely to get a terrible one. There is no good way to decide who the next dictator should be.

It is, but is also higher risk. You are more likely to get a great government, and more likely to get a terrible one. There is no good way to decide who the next dictator should be.
absolute primogeniture

I agreed with this entirely. If the dems keep boiling down this defeat to misogyny, racism, and a lack of education, they will lose again.

Haha cheers Vajayjay! :) It's nice that people took note of my view on here. It's been dismissed for months on Facebook etc. I eventually gave up as I was copping a lot of hate. I had a friend share this on my way the other day on Facebook, saying "you were right". Naturally, I was really happy that somebody made this, it's a pity it wasn't made a couple of days before the election. I won a fair bit of money off Trump winning, but I would give it all back if a decent human was in. I shouldn't rant about Trump, he hasn't done anything bad yet, we have to give him a chance now. He could surprise the lot of us. Up until now it's been all about winning the campaign, and you have to say some pretty extreme things to motivate Americans to vote. He's back flipped on a million things in the past. I strongly believe he will delete just about everything Obama did, but I'm not sure exactly how much more damage he can do. Obama tried hard to make America into Australia/Canada, to avoid Breaking Bad situations, but at the end of the day, America is itself, they prefer their pay to use system, they prefer tipping as opposed to a higher minimum wage, they like guns.

After this nightmare election, I just hope people stop hating on people for their opinions, the Adam Goodes saga was a really strong example of that. I got hounded on Bigfooty for saying that I thought he was responding to people booing him, however, I am indigenous, there's many things I look up to Adam Goodes for, the way he responds to criticism isn't one. People were entitled to boo him, he's in the public eye, labelling somebody a racist, or uneducated is legitimately almost as bad as actually saying something racist.

The left need to listen to what the right have to say, and the right need to listen to the left, balance is the key, the more extreme the lefts and rights are, the less settled life is. Look at Australia, compared to America/England our two major parties are almost identical, because our levels of unrest are nothing by comparison, however if you look back at the Howard/Keating days, the gap between the extremes was much wider.

200 years ago, philosopher Joseph De Maistre once said "Every Nation gets the government it deserves". How ******* true is it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The standard of political debate these days plumbs deeper depths by the day.

Substance went out the door a long time ago. It's just slogans, hashtags, s**t memes and YouTube clips. And almost entirely reactionary and a never ending contest between who can be most outraged on one side and who can test the boundaries of basic decency the most while hiding behind the excuse of free speech/anti SJW.

I find myself almost entirely tuned out now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back