Politics The Hangar Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

“No I made it very clear that I believe former prime ministers are best out of the Parliament and I don’t think there’s much evidence to suggest that that conclusion is correct,” he said.

“It’s not correct.”

Even when Mal is sticking the boots in hard he still waffles in doing so..

Other than a supposed relevance, and being the Deputy PM, what does the national party actually get from being in that coalition? They seem like Fitzroy in the Brisbane merge..

I know It's way too late now, but if they'd pulled out 20 years ago, or some time, they could have kept their identity and their rusted on's and maybe hooked some younger voters in the bush. As it stsnds unless you're a lifelong Nationals voter most people just see them as Liberal lackys now anyway and most would prefer give their vote to the mob on the right.

If they'd gone it alone they might have been able to create a small foothold from their identity like the greens or atleast have some points of power in minority situation's?

Other than a supposed relevance, and being the Deputy PM, what does the national party actually get from being in that coalition? They seem like Fitzroy in the Brisbane merge..

I know It's way too late now, but if they'd pulled out 20 years ago, or some time, they could have kept their identity and their rusted on's and maybe hooked some younger voters in the bush. As it stsnds unless you're a lifelong Nationals voter most people just see them as Liberal lackys now anyway and most would prefer give their vote to the mob on the right.

If they'd gone it alone they might have been able to create a small foothold from their identity like the greens or atleast have some points of power in minority situation's?
Deputy PM and a certain percentage of seats in cabinet, I think it works out to three seats. Possibly an agreement to cover particular portfolios as well, though my memory is rusty.

45c.gif

isn't the great shame here that the actual area that Turnbull, Bishop and co reside in is probably the exact sweet spot that the public generally relates to and is probably the best for the majority of citizens? If they were not constantly white anted by their own right faction or the power of the big end of town they could probably keep office for a while at least.. I mean all people really want is cheap heathcare, cheap electricity, good education a steady job and good infrastructure - anything else is just noise..

even xenephons federal results in the past show a centre right party has solid support even though he was SA centric

there seems a genuine political void that could be filled by a centre left or right party, I know xenephon was fools gold but a party with good policies and a good campaign sitting in that zone would probably cash in about now, like the democrats did once upon a time?

the greens are too ideological to be a viable party, the labour party seems too infiltrated by trade unionists to be trusted

or is it just that your rusted ons want a strong ideology either left or right, and they are generally the loudest voices - the squeaky wheel gets the oil...they wont stand for a watered down centre?

sorry for the stream of consciousness - just trying to get me head around it before I run for office ;)

They should, I too find it absurd that we've had ten years of this self-important s**t going on.

Not trying to single Di Natale out, there are worse than he for sure.

How ******* ridiculous is this s**t, seriously? We get a PM who gets a short honeymoon period to attempt to implement policy and vision, in the face of an opposition whose entire goal is to destabilize the existing government as opposed to offering a viable alternative government.

And then, as soon as the PM becomes unpopular, his/her colleagues switch in to this self-interested mode and turf them when the opportunity presents.

It's pathetic.

And Bill Shorten? The man was pivotal in the execution of two sitting Prime Ministers - and this is the guy that's going to buck this trend? That 'team photo' today, with that s**t eating grin, the intended message of 'how united are we!' - **** off you arrogant twat. Labor will sweep to power, there's nothing surer, but when he inevitably does become unpopular, does anyone seriously believe that weak, spineless party, the one that went whimpering back to Rudd in the most self-interested, selfish political act in Australia in my lifetime, won't do the same?

It'd be a giant joke if it wasn't so important.
Very hard to topple a sitting PM in the ALP now - you need >75% of the caucus to vote in favour of a spill motion.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meanwhile, this is the biggest farce ever seen in Australian politics - even bigger than the constitutional crisis of '75 in terms of its messiness. U G L Y.

I wonder if this is the right faction using Dutton as a patsy. They use him as a spectre of the worst possible scenario, which makes Scomo, if installed, seem like a acceptable alternative to Turnbull, but without any of the disloyalty baggage. Let's not forget that he was the instrumental in implementing the Nauru and Manus policies.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is the right faction using Dutton as a patsy. They use him as a sceptre of the worst possible scenario, which makes Scomo, if installed, seem like a acceptable alternative to Turnbull, but without any of the disloyalty baggage. Let's not forget that he was the instrumental in implementing the Nauru and Manus policies.

Don't forget - if you want to afford a house, get a better job

Probably a whole other worm hole, but if they can provide the grounds for quality affordable education and a fertile job market I probably would too

could be true, kicking back cigar in mouth, maniacal laugh
Nah, it's a terrible position to take. One example of why it's a shocker: Child care workers, teachers, police and nurses - all essential jobs - are reasonably low paid and a nurse on $70k a year would struggle to afford to buy a house near their workplace (generally in metro areas of capital cities).

Nah, it's a terrible position to take. One example of why it's a shocker: Child care workers, teachers, police and nurses - all essential jobs - are reasonably low paid and a nurse on $70k a year would struggle to afford to buy a house near their workplace (generally in metro areas of capital cities).

id agree if he said if you want a BETTER house get a better job

but if you want ANY house whatsoever, it probably shouldn't be this hard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back