Politics The Hangar Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw a long post about the stupid goddamn axis and I knew it was gonna be stupid and I read the stupid goddamn post and now I'm stupider for having done so, but clearly I was already a stupid idiot anyway cause I read the bloody post.

never waste your time with the axis or compass or any of that stupid s**t. it's just a waste of time

I prefer this one.
11f78612371f8a31cf234300761683ba.jpg

But seriously, garbage in, garbage out.

The idea of a bi-dimensional spectrum is sound enough if you understand and accept its limitations as a fundamentally reductionist representation of the complexity of political ideology and behaviour, arbitrarily distilled into two variables, and only one step less meaningless than the utterly-meaningless conception that is left and right. Unfortunately the vast majority of implementations are terribly set up, deliberately or otherwise, throwing out all sorts of bizarre equivalencies, and the vast majority of users seem oblivious to the inherent flaws.

Last edited:
Cannot believe the free ride global governments get re the catastrophic mismanagement of COVID19.

Our *******s have imported it into the country. For a few weeks of economic stimulus and/or to avoid upsetting international students they've courted catastrophic economic collapse (which is what will happen if we have to shut everything down under quarantine).

What will be the impact of a footy season with no crowds, for example?

In Germany, Merkel, one of the real leaders of the EU, if shes not still the most powerful leader, says that 60% of Germans will get COVID. Pretty scary number isn't it? Can't say 60% of people get the flu. Despite this, the EU will NOT suspend the Shengen agreement to prevent movement across boarders.

The mixed messages are alarming. I cant help but think that the spread is intentional. The Chinese can cover up all they want but from day 1 there has been a lot of information out there about the virus, more than enough to immediately restrict entry into a country just as a precaution. The "conspiracy theorists" have been proven correct yet again.

It's funny how governments are happy to implement draconian measures at the expense of their own populations but can't close a ******* border and implement quarantine for returning citizens to stop a virus entering.

Heading the problem off at its source is a really good way to prevent panic.

And yet it seems that the general sentiment is to continue to grow the size of government and its influence on our lives.

Last edited:
i think it would have been a bit silly if they had gone ahead without crowds, but like the cricket today, I have a bit more understanding for it. but it was perfectly obvious a week ago an event like the grand prix probably couldn't go ahead with attendance and it's nuts to me it took until the morning of the event to sort it out

anyway, wonder when the travel ban on people coming from America will come into place....

Personally I'd think it makes more sense to have motor racing without crowds than cricket. It's not like the crowd can impact the race.
You have obviously never stood over a pedestrian bridge at the GP while a car goes underneath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rudd coming out slamming the NBN backflip is a bit ridiculous. If the labor party wasnt such a rabble at the time the libs never would have got voted in with that policy. Once they got voted in they had to go with it.

Now the new government is going to fix it while the PM at the time and comms minister are both gone, the right decision has been made.

Government's waste cash, its what they do, its why they get voted out. I feel like Turnbull and Rudd just make comments to try and stay relevant. Ex PMs should stay out of politics if they are just going to come across as bitter with what happened to them.

Rudd coming out slamming the NBN backflip is a bit ridiculous. If the labor party wasnt such a rabble at the time the libs never would have got voted in with that policy. Once they got voted in they had to go with it.

Now the new government is going to fix it while the PM at the time and comms minister are both gone, the right decision has been made.

Government's waste cash, its what they do, its why they get voted out. I feel like Turnbull and Rudd just make comments to try and stay relevant. Ex PMs should stay out of politics if they are just going to come across as bitter with what happened to them.
He has every right to slam it. If they continued with his rollout other NBN they could have avoided all of this.

A teenager could have predicted that this would have happened at the time. Oh wait, I did.

Let's not go that far. But seriously, if a 19 year old me could figure out that doing it the Liberal Party's way would essentially mean the Government would slightly decrease the initial payments for the short term and then later on would have to pay for the Labor plan anyway costing a hell of a lot more, how did the party that were supposedly "Good economic managers" not figure that out?

Let's not go that far. But seriously, if a 19 year old me could figure out that doing it the Liberal Party's way would essentially mean the Government would slightly decrease the initial payments for the short term and then later on would have to pay for the Labor plan anyway costing a hell of a lot more, how did the party that were supposedly "Good economic managers" not figure that out?
There's a lot of voters who read the phrase "good economic managers" and somehow think it's A- true, and B- good for them.

well yeah there's bit and pieces of that in there. I would have thought the main factor is that they've reached a point where they've accepted that they can't seriously offer a network that has copper wire playing a large part, and telling customers who can't reach high speeds to like it or lump it. Currently customers who truly want to hit the high speeds that FTTN can't provide have no option other than paying an arm a leg to have things upgraded which only the rarest creatures would do. 5G, I suppose, was a threat to that business model.

It's important to note that they won't be automatically setting up FTTP to every premises. From what I read, it seems they're increasingly the amount of fiber going around, but customers will still be using a bit cooper to get to the fiber, they just won't be cases of homes being a KM away from the fiber. Additionally, customers who want FTTP can request it without it being a big deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back