Politics The Hangar Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure whether it was posted in here earlier or not but McCain's concession speech when he lost to Obama is worth a look. No incitement, legal challenges, nefarious attempts to undermine the election etc... Just acceptance, grace, poise, respect and even good-will despite the differences.

Not sure whether it was posted in here earlier or not but McCain's concession speech when he lost to Obama is worth a look. No incitement, legal challenges, nefarious attempts to undermine the election etc... Just acceptance, grace, poise, respect and even good-will despite the differences.

And that's obviously how it should be. The behaviour of the last two losing candidates has been embarrassing, especially with them both running with conspiracy theories and creating more division.

The storming of the capitol the other day was terrible, but I think part of the blame must go towards segments of the left including the likes of CNN who have spent the last six months defending, ignoring, and generally help normalising riots, property violence and violence against police / authority.

Read Pinker's book on violence declining over time, partly through a civilising process, and you can see how aspects of that civilising process has been reversing in the last few years in the US. They really need to get their s**t together, especially with the way China is acting lately. We still need a strong America.

And that's obviously how it should be. The behaviour of the last two losing candidates has been embarrassing, especially with them both running with conspiracy theories and creating more division.

The storming of the capitol the other day was terrible, but I think part of the blame must go towards segments of the left including the likes of CNN who have spent the last six months defending, ignoring, and generally help normalising riots, property violence and violence against police / authority.

Read Pinker's book on violence declining over time, partly through a civilising process, and you can see how aspects of that civilising process has been reversing in the last few years in the US. They really need to get their sh*t together, especially with the way China is acting lately. We still need a strong America.
I liked this article:

Hilary’s post election behaviour in 2016, while not perfect, does not in any way survive comparison with Trump’s this time.

The ‘both sides’ thing is tired. Stop it.
Plus, she had just lost to a Simpson's joke.

Hilary’s post election behaviour in 2016, while not perfect, does not in any way survive comparison with Trump’s this time.

Just because one is worse than the other doesn't mean one should be absolved of all criticism. That's nonsense.

Cheers. I'm not a fan of his dumbed down writing style but he does have good ideas and make good points.
I guess the question is, what parallels can be drawn with Australia? Whilst we are not as bad as the USA, there are definitely similarities here. The "aussie battler" or "lucky country" attitude etc.

I guess the question is, what parallels can be drawn with Australia? Whilst we are not as bad as the USA, there are definitely similarities here. The "aussie battler" or "lucky country" attitude etc.

Probably a lot - I also think the differences matters less in a way now as the US is so culturally dominant, coupled with the rise of social media, that their cultural issues gain traction in similar countries like here and the UK even if its an imperfect fit.

I've grappled for a while with what the economy and especially labour market will look like in the future with the rise of automation, which he touches on. I go back and forth thinking UBI will be necessary, or a bad idea due to unintended consequences. Where do you sit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just because one is worse than the other doesn't mean one should be absolved of all criticism. That's nonsense.
I didn’t claim it did.

However, the ‘muhh the Dems started it’ is a common refrain heard from the GOP (even McConnell the other day in rebuking Trump couldn’t help but compare Ohio 2004 to this situation today, like they’re in any way comparable in scale) to justify their subservience to Trump’s worst excesses. It’s become a tried and true strategy and the cycle just repeats itself as a result.

The economies of scale of anything that has gone before this are so out of sight smaller to what’s happened post-2020 that any comparisons are just not worth making.

It’s pretty simple. You have one party in the US that is fundamentally okay with there being functioning democracy. They might be hopelessly internally divided and dysfunctional in many ways, but at least they’re not trying to destroy the very functioning of democracy itself.

Then you have the GOP.

I didn’t claim it did.

However, the ‘muhh the Dems started it’ is a common refrain heard from the GOP (even McConnell the other day in rebuking Trump couldn’t help but compare Ohio 2004 to this situation today, like they’re in any way comparable in scale) to justify their subservience to Trump’s worst excesses. It’s become a tried and true strategy and the cycle just repeats itself as a result.

The economies of scale of anything that has gone before this are so out of sight smaller to what’s happened post-2020 that any comparisons are just not worth making.

It’s pretty simple. You have one party in the US that is fundamentally okay with there being functioning democracy. They might be hopelessly internally divided and dysfunctional in many ways, but at least they’re not trying to destroy the very functioning of democracy itself.

Then you have the GOP.

I inferred it from you telling me to "stop it". I haven't stated (and don't hold) those views you attribute to the GOP, and I certainly don't support Trump, so not quite sure if you are expecting me to respond to them. The only point I was really trying to make (perhaps poorly!) is that "uncivilised" behaviour is dangerous because there is quite a bit of research to suggest it will generally escalate (with the reverse being true, fortunately), so I don't think any steps on that path should be dismissed or excused so easily.

Kazakhstan elections this weekend. First time their lower house hasn't called for an early election.

Of course election is used very loosely.

You don't remember the Woman's March ending with a mob trying to smash their way through the capitol ala 4:40 of this video? (warning: disturbing footage)

it's a bloody miracle only one person died of a crushing type death

You don't remember the Woman's March ending with a mob trying to smash their way through the capitol ala 4:40 of this video? (warning: disturbing footage)

it's a bloody miracle only one person died of a crushing type death

Can't believe Hilary incited such destruction.

is it true that one of the maga domestic terrorists suffered a heart attack because he accidently and repeatedly tasered himself in the balls during their cosplay event?

is it true that one of the maga domestic terrorists suffered a heart attack because he accidently and repeatedly tasered himself in the balls during their cosplay event?
Not sure if it’s true but a similar story I heard was a woman that got trampled while carrying a sign saying she wouldn’t be walked over anymore.

The thing I find strange about the charges I've seen is that they're essentially for trespass. They were openly and actively trying to overthrow the election of the next Government. They've mostly said it on camera and on their social media. They get charged with misdemeanors and many will get a soft touch.

These weak charges will only embolden the next wave of more violent people who have now seen how easy it is. I don't doubt there will be more security on Inauguration, but they'll drop their guard and the crazies will kill many people at some point during the Biden Presidency. It will be Trump's legacy and Biden's greatest challenge. (That and COVID which is already killed 400,000(!)people in the US.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back