Travel The Hangar Travel Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Doing research on Paris I’m finding places to eat to be a little daunting. Can anyone recommend some places over there that aren’t too over the top with fancy food and high prices?
Are you Airbnb'ing?

I often just buy supermarket food and save money for impromptu places I find along the way.

Doing research on Paris I’m finding places to eat to be a little daunting. Can anyone recommend some places over there that aren’t too over the top with fancy food and high prices?
I've got a list somewhere of places in Paris that someone we met at the train station wrote down for us, I'll dig it out and post it for you. Never had bad luck with it.

Two ones I remember were Bouillon Pigale (decently priced, casual atmosphere and simple French, also good for groups) and La Cantine du Troquet (more like a French bistro, moderately priced and good for couples. Classic French cuisine). There's a few different locations of La Cantine, not sure what menu differences they have but I went to the one near the Eiffel tower and it was superb.

Usually when I'm staying somewhere new I'll ask the people at the hotel desk what restaurants and cafes they recommend, but in Paris nuh uh. Seems alot of the hotels have their preferred restaurants and enough (not all, but enough) of the restaurants they recommended had bad vibes so I went away from my system there.

I'll be in Paris during the Olympics, so I will gladly accept all the food recommendations in the city!
AOC provably wants you to stick to the food provided in the Athletes Village mate.

There are so many boulangeries / cafes in Paris. Cheap and easy food. Grabbing a baguette for brekky on the fly seems to be a very French thing to do.

Lunch is the main meal and there is an endless and varied amount of bistros with their seats pointed outwards towards the street to choose from. Funny enough, I remember eating some really good pizza of all things. There was Maccas to grab le Big Mac or supermarkets to grab various bits and pieces.

i don’t think you’ll have any trouble!

There are so many boulangeries / cafes in Paris. Cheap and easy food. Grabbing a baguette for brekky on the fly seems to be a very French thing to do.

Lunch is the main meal and there is an endless and varied amount of bistros with their seats pointed outwards towards the street to choose from. Funny enough, I remember eating some really good pizza of all things. There was Maccas to grab le Big Mac or supermarkets to grab various bits and pieces.

i don’t think you’ll have any trouble!
Gros Mac

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends what you're after and where you are really, Paris has heaps of food options, most of which are pretty good. Cheese and wine from the supermarket is very cheap, and the French basically refuse to do either of those things badly, so it's pretty easy to grab a baguette, some cheese and a bottle of wine to go camp out near the Eiffel Tower (or any other park you like) for a picnic.

If you have an idea of what area you're (they're numbered 1 - 20 or so) in I've got a few cafes I could recommend for a good coffee. I'm a vegetarian so most of my actual restaurant recommendations are around that which might not be helpful.

This will sound like a weird suggestion but I highly recommend going to Galeries Lafayette Haussmann where they have a rooftop viewing deck with a bar and restaurant. It's set just behind the Opera House (Palais Garnier) and is one of the few rooftop views in Paris. Don't tell your other half what's up there, just take her to this shopping mall and get her up the top, it's a great way to surprise her with a brilliant view over the top of the city. It's only a 30 minute or so trip if you just want the view, the department store itself is pretty good for higher end stuff as well, and it's an easy enough walk from the Louvre.

If you want a more affordable shopping location then Le Bon Marche is the main big department store and is (roughly) on the walk from the Eiffel Tour to Notre Dame via Saint Germain.

Depends what you're after and where you are really, Paris has heaps of food options, most of which are pretty good. Cheese and wine from the supermarket is very cheap, and the French basically refuse to do either of those things badly, so it's pretty easy to grab a baguette, some cheese and a bottle of wine to go camp out near the Eiffel Tower (or any other park you like) for a picnic.

If you have an idea of what area you're (they're numbered 1 - 20 or so) in I've got a few cafes I could recommend for a good coffee. I'm a vegetarian so most of my actual restaurant recommendations are around that which might not be helpful.

This will sound like a weird suggestion but I highly recommend going to Galeries Lafayette Haussmann where they have a rooftop viewing deck with a bar and restaurant. It's set just behind the Opera House (Palais Garnier) and is one of the few rooftop views in Paris. Don't tell your other half what's up there, just take her to this shopping mall and get her up the top, it's a great way to surprise her with a brilliant view over the top of the city. It's only a 30 minute or so trip if you just want the view, the department store itself is pretty good for higher end stuff as well, and it's an easy enough walk from the Louvre.

If you want a more affordable shopping location then Le Bon Marche is the main big department store and is (roughly) on the walk from the Eiffel Tour to Notre Dame via Saint Germain.
Haussman was cool.
The food hall in GF is fun too.

Le Grilld

homer simpson GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back