Travel The Hangar Travel Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Got most of the due to the clues though, not the photos.

Yeah I know I looked at it this morning and saw all the clues I missed. Became mesmerized by the whole concept of borders other than passport checkpoints. Just got 28 out of 32 on the northern most capitals so not completely out of it.

Boat didn't arrivve in melb til 10! Sat in the car 4hrs waiting in the rain, didn't leave til after 12, arrived after 11pm, yuk
Well that's a bit s**t.

Bass Strait can be a nasty body of water when it decides to be.

It calmed off half way after the storm but was hairy for a little bit. A guy told me the worst yet was in 05 when the waves were so high they smashed Windows and forced the boat to turn back

Note: a coffee was $4 , beer $4.80.

No contest!

In November I'm off to a 2 week stag party through Eastern Europe.

No real details in place yet, but mate is getting married in Italy in December so we are sending him off in style.

Any recommendations to people who have travelled through?

Howard Moon you would have some tips?

likely locked in places so far are Budapest and Bucharest

H
In November I'm off to a 2 week stag party through Eastern Europe.

No real details in place yet, but mate is getting married in Italy in December so we are sending him off in style.

Any recommendations to people who have travelled through?

Howard Moon you would have some tips?

likely locked in places so far are Budapest and Bucharest

Hey mate I'm stuck in Tassie on Vodafone so it's pretty dire but assuming you are starting in Bucharest and heading to Budapest and west? Can vouch for Krakow, Prague, Sarajevo, Ljubljana, Innsbruck at the very least, couldn't go wrong with any of those for beer, food, women and scenery with ease of travel thrown in, one of the east euro eurail zone passes could get you to all pretty cheaply and you save on accom/ take drunk night trains to add to stag fun-ness?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12552522_10206361970023010_3502750087027644252_n.jpg

Bagan, Myanmar.

So far in Tassie this week: been under ember attack, forced indoors due to smoke, flooded out yesterday, garage under 6 inches of muddy muck.

They don't mess round down here.
If you go two weeks in Tassie and don't hit snow at some point you've been dudded!

Even in summer.

Day boat mate, 9am til 6pm
You'll be alright, mate. It's a big boat. Yeah it'll be rough if they're talking super cell storm, but just take your sea sickness meds with you; and a hot tip, if it's bad, don't look out at the sea. The visual makes it worse.

Grab a Shinkansen rail-pass (has to be ordered outside the country) and use that to get around.

Tokyo is obvious, but beyond the usual hit-list (Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku etc.), check out Yoyogi Park on a Sunday - it's where the locals go for their group recreation, which ranges from mass frisbee games to middle aged dudes in Grease costumes having dance-offs.

Hiroshima is incredibly powerful, and while you're there Miyajima Island out in the bay is worth a squiz. Old temple island, good little "mountain" to climb, and the whole place is overrun with feral deer.

If you like history, the best preserved castle is at Himeji (most were destroyed during WW2 and rebuilt in concrete), halfway down the train line from Osaka to Hiroshima. You can leave one in the morning, hop off halfway and stash your bags in lockers, stroll up the hill and check out the castle, and still reach the other that afternoon.

My absolute favourite though was Jigokudani Monkey Park, if you can time it for colder months (maybe October-March at a stretch). It's a national park outside a little village north of Nagano, home to hordes of Japanese Macaques, hanging out in natural hot springs in the middle of the snow.

You might also want to rethink your vegetarianism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back