Travel The Hangar Travel Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sitting in a hostel in Reykjavik, hilariously underprepared for how insanely expensive this country is. A full 1/8th of my entire 10-week Europe budget (inc. return flights from Aus) spent just on car rental and insurance. Which would be fine if I didn't have to take out a mortgage for groceries. :D

I paid equivalent of $55 for a large dominoes pizza there one night!

Sitting in a hostel in Reykjavik, hilariously underprepared for how insanely expensive this country is. A full 1/8th of my entire 10-week Europe budget (inc. return flights from Aus) spent just on car rental and insurance. Which would be fine if I didn't have to take out a mortgage for groceries. :D
That's why I loved Estonia - 3/4s of Scandinavia for 1/4 the price.

I paid equivalent of $55 for a large dominoes pizza there one night!
Maybe cruise ship is the way to visit there.

Welcome back Doss , OK lay it on us brother!

P.S sorry for bugging you while you were away, but Gordon's is worth it!
I will give you a summary (which I am sure you're all gagging for) later this week.

Still too scattered to put together more than a paragraph at a time at the moment. I even threw my credit card (instead of an old myki which was the intended target) in the bin this morning at the train station, and had to swallow all pride and dignity and dig it out in front of everyone.

Yes, I wish I was making this up.

I will give you a summary (which I am sure you're all gagging for) later this week.

Still too scattered to put together more than a paragraph at a time at the moment. I even threw my credit card (instead of an old myki which was the intended target) in the bin this morning at the train station, and had to swallow all pride and dignity and dig it out in front of everyone.

Yes, I wish I was making this up.

find any good cigarette butts or recyclable cans in there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I travelled quite a lot before relinquishing all freedom for a family. If anyone can recommend specific destinations that would be ideal for giving my 9 and 5 yr olds some worldly exposure, without having to go too far or spend crazy amounts to do so, fill me in.

The places that left the biggest impact on me in some sort of order would be;

- Nepal (first non-Western country I travelled in. Lovely people. Trekked Annapurna circuit with no fitness base, smoking dope for the most part).
- India (travelled solo the first time and took the missus there the second time for 4 months. All 6 senses hyper-stimulated).
- England (living there for a couple of years and making great mates).
- Morocco
- Turkey
- Bolivia
- Peru
- Spain
- Scotland
- Greece
- Brazil
- Chile
- Argentina
- Bali (only overseas trip with child. Was perfect)
- Switzerland (only for the mountains. I love being in the mountains).
- France
- Italy
- New Zealand
- Czech Rep
- Germany
- Austria
- Holland (Amsterdam; a great city but rest of country a bit meh).
- Wales (my only memories are sideways, howling rain and driving through the hills back to England after a couple of discos).

I have thought about places like Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Fiji, Thailand as places with a bit of culture that might be kid-relevant.

Suggestions welcome :)

Vietnam is fantastic. Go. You won't regret it. Although maybe not ideal for children, or at least Hanoi or Saigon- the idea of crossing those crazy roads with kids is enough to give me a headache.

The Irish countyside is absolutely stunning. I spent a day around Kilkenny, Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough and was not disappointed. Dublin itself- great nightlife and has some good stuff, but the city itself is certainly not aesthetically beautiful like many other European cities. Anyway, go to Ireland if you've not been, which going by the list, you haven't.

I think Chile, Argentina and Peru are next on my list.

I travelled quite a lot before relinquishing all freedom for a family. If anyone can recommend specific destinations that would be ideal for giving my 9 and 5 yr olds some worldly exposure, without having to go too far or spend crazy amounts to do so, fill me in.

- Nepal (first non-Western country I travelled in. Lovely people. Trekked Annapurna circuit with no fitness base, smoking dope for the most part).
- India (travelled solo the first time and took the missus there the second time for 4 months. All 6 senses hyper-stimulated).
- Morocco
- Turkey
- Bolivia
- Peru
- Spain
- Scotland
- Greece
- Brazil
- Chile
- Argentina
- France
- Italy
- New Zealand
- Czech Rep
- Germany
- Austria
- Wales (my only memories are sideways, howling rain and driving through the hills back to England after a couple of discos).

I have thought about places like Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Fiji, Thailand as places with a bit of culture that might be kid-relevant.

South Africa, Vic Falls (Zim) and Botswana. We did it with our kids a few years back when they were 11 and 14. Highlights included a river cruise on the Zambezi at dawn, helicopter ride over Vic Falls, Robben Island (Mandela was still alive at the time we went but died a few months later), Table Mountain. I didn't enjoy the safaris we did (in Botswana) so much but others did. Loved Cape Town. The Drakensburg Mountains (near Stellenbosch) are stunning, we too love mountains! The people, politics and societies of these countries are endlessly fascinating. If your kids like adventure holidays (kyaking etc) there are plenty of those options too. Relatively, the cost of living is low. A family dinner (5) at the excellent Cape Heritage Hotel's French restaurant, with wine came to less than AUD100. It's a bout 12 to 15 hours to Jo'burg so not sure if that's further afield than you were thinking.

- Morocco
- Turkey
- Bolivia
- Peru
- Spain
- Scotland
- Greece
- Brazil
- Chile
- Argentina
- France
- Italy
- New Zealand
- Czech Rep
- Germany
- Austria

I am heading to Hanoi and Halong Bay in 3 weeks time with GF and her kids (10 and 12 year-olds), I will let you know how that goes.

- Morocco
- Turkey
- Bolivia
- Peru
- Spain
- Scotland
- Greece
- Brazil
- Chile
- Argentina
- France
- Italy
- New Zealand
- Czech Rep
- Germany
- Austria

i remember we took the kids on a big holiday to far nth queensland, cairns, port douglas, daintree ect...

at the end we asked them what was their favorite bit of the holiday..

it was the playground on the way to the airport.

nuff said, no more good holidays til they reach double figures!

Vietnam is fantastic. Go. You won't regret it. Although maybe not ideal for children, or at least Hanoi or Saigon- the idea of crossing those crazy roads with kids is enough to give me a headache.

The Irish countyside is absolutely stunning. I spent a day around Kilkenny, Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough and was not disappointed. Dublin itself- great nightlife and has some good stuff, but the city itself is certainly not aesthetically beautiful like many other European cities. Anyway, go to Ireland if you've not been, which going by the list, you haven't.

I think Chile, Argentina and Peru are next on my list.
Dammit, I knew I'd leave one country out. Yeah I've been to Ireland. Only for a week though going Dublin, Galway, Aran Islands and Connemara. Highlight being Guinness. Too far away for us anyway at this point.

Sth East Asia was to be my next adventure if I'd remained single a bit longer. Only had the Bali experience so far where I steered well clear of Kuta with our 4 yr old. But it was great otherwise.

South Africa, Vic Falls (Zim) and Botswana. We did it with our kids a few years back when they were 11 and 14. Highlights included a river cruise on the Zambezi at dawn, helicopter ride over Vic Falls, Robben Island (Mandela was still alive at the time we went but died a few months later), Table Mountain. I didn't enjoy the safaris we did (in Botswana) so much but others did. Loved Cape Town. The Drakensburg Mountains (near Stellenbosch) are stunning, we too love mountains! The people, politics and societies of these countries are endlessly fascinating. If your kids like adventure holidays (kyaking etc) there are plenty of those options too. Relatively, the cost of living is low. A family dinner (5) at the excellent Cape Heritage Hotel's French restaurant, with wine came to less than AUD100. It's a bout 12 to 15 hours to Jo'burg so not sure if that's further afield than you were thinking.
Have every intention of getting over there one day but yeah a bit to big a trip at this point. Sounds awesome. Any political tension while you were there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back