Travel The Hangar Travel Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of Travel photos and churches, I Reckon I was seconds away from my best photo ever but the gods conspired against me.

We were in France at Chartres, at the awesome old gothic cathedral, this building drips with history and creaky old wonder.

We were perusing inside around back where the stained glass windows are, it was a huuuuge high ceiling, very dark and dusty apart from the stained glass light giving a weird glow. Emma had a little hoodie on, in the darkness she had the silhouette of Mary happening, then it happened, a cloud moved and a beam of sunlight just pierced it's way through a hole high up in the stained glass, it was a visible beam through the dusty air pretty much right to her , I said quick ! Hold your hands under it! This looks like an apparition, the silhouette of Mary with beam of light from the heavens imparting itself to earth into her hands. It was pre camera phone...I'm fiddling round with the camera, get ready to shoot, over rolls cloud, beam disappears, moment lost.

We hovvered around waiting for a repeat, no dice.

So, I leave for Japan in under two months (yay).

Staying in Tokyo and Osaka, planning on heading over to Kyoto and Hiroshima while we are staying in Osaka.

Also booked into Disneyland, Disney Sea, Univeral Studios and planning on spending a day at Akihabara.

Anyone else got some good suggestions? :)
Koyoto is great! So is Osaka! Dont buy make up like i did thinking it was sunscreen :s

Alright!

I've found people asking me ad nauseum what my favourite country was. I find it very hard to answer that in truth, because every country I visited had its good points and I feel somewhat guilty in excluding the others in narrowing it down.

But- I can narrow down my favourite city. Prague.

I'd never been, until then, to a city where you found your jaw dropping with every corner you rounded. The even stranger thing with that is, it's not necessarily the most landmark laden city, not compared to say a Paris or Rome, and with sincere apologies to Prague Castle which IS extremely impressive.

It's more the sheer beauty of the architecture of nearly every building you come across, in the Old Town anyway. It is exactly as you imagine old Europe, and unlike say Berlin or Warsaw, the circumstances and in particular, timeline of WWII meant that it largely escaped destruction; people say Warsaw was once strikingly similar to Prague, but you wouldn't know it today, because by July 1944 it had been razed to the ground almost completely. So had much of Berlin by the following April- and indeed, some areas of eastern Berlin remained rubble right up until after reunification in the early 1990s.

And then there is the food. German/Czech cuisine is not necessarily attractive or beautifully presented, but rarely is it not immensely satisfying, and in combination with a good stein of the innumerable and delicious pilsners, weissbiers and dunkels that dot the beerscape, they're pretty bloody compelling.

Berlin is an exciting, alive place; not necessary the most beautiful of cities, especially not in areas that were formally east of the Wall, but it also never has a dull moment and has generous lashings of history to go with it. Among other things, do yourself a favour and go to the Stasi museum if you're there; it's a fascinating (and at times slightly depressing) insight into what East Germany really was.

Munich was what you'd expect- beer drenched and a bunch of fun.

One regret I have is not spending more time in Austria (especially, missing Vienna), but the small sliver we did see was well worth it. Spent some time in Innsbruck, which has an alpine backdrop that can only be described as spectacular and a freezing, glacially-fed river surging (and I mean really flying) through the middle of it.

Italy- I liked Italy, and loved the food, but I liked the prices and the prevalence of touts rather less. In Venice, they really were everywhere. Rome is a bit dirty in parts, but how can you not have a fair bit of time for a city that has a new set of historical ruins or a monument of one stripe or another with almost every turn you make?

Spain- now, I ******* loved Spain. I went to Barcelona and San Sebastian only, didn't get to Madrid or the south unfortunately. But Barcelona was wonderful- the food was wonderful, the people were really friendly, the drink was plentiful and cheap, and the weather was sensational. Sagrada Familia really is one of the most remarkable things you'll ever see; it's very hard to describe exactly what it is, but anyone who has been wandering the streets and then suddenly come into a perspective where it looms up above you will relate. It is awe-inspiring. San Sebastian, meanwhile, is significantly more sleepy, but you'll need to recalibrate your body clock; things don't really operate before midday and run well into the night. The pintxos in San Sebastian are unlike any 'tapas' you'll have had, either here and probably in other parts of Spain either. Their ability to combine seemingly unlikely ingredients never ceases to amaze- how do smoked cod, green pepper, jamon, sardines, manchego and blue cheese go together and taste so amazing? I'm not sure, yet somehow they do.

I'd become so enormous if I lived there.

Overall, it was very easy to remain blissfully unaware of just how tough many Spaniards are still doing it in the aftermath of the GFC even now. The place seemed, for all intents and purposes, happy and alive.

Next was Bordeaux. It isn't necessarily the most exciting place, per se, but it's still got its decent dash of history and of course, it's also the gateway to one of the better wine regions you'll find. Hot top- Margaux/Medoc is where it's at.

I really liked Paris. I'd heard a fair few negative things about it, but honestly I had a lot of fun. It is true that there are certainly areas you're best advised to stay away from, but then it ain't alone in that either. Cliched as it is, Moulin Rouge is pretty bloody cool.

Edinburgh is a great city and I wish my stay had been longer- the two castles and Royal Mile are the sort of places where you can get lost for days, I reckon. Dublin is not a particularly attractive city compared to some of its European and British counterparts, but the nightlife is fantastic; if you're in Temple Bar, do yourself a favour and get to the Porterhouse. They're a brew pub and make a seemingly endless range of great beers, across the entire spectrum too. We did ourselves a favour and got out of Dublin for the day as well; took a trip down to Kilkenny, Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough, and to anyone considering it, do it- it's well worth it. Apart from anything, just how green Ireland is really is quite astounding; you'll really see why it's called the Emerald Isle.

London was the last stop. I don't think I could live there, but what a city to visit. The amount of history all around never ceases to drop your jaw; it murders your wallet, to be sure, but as long as you're prepared for it, it's not so confronting. I did manage to have a cheeky reunion with one Lord Nicholson while over there, and he took me to a place called Gordon's Wine Bar- which, funnily enough, Howard Moon recommended to me on Facebook the very day that LN took me there. It is truly remarkable- pitch black apart from being lit by candles, doorways and indeed a ceiling not built for anyone over about 5ft 4, and serving only wine and port; this is a true wine bar. And if you do eat there, take it from me, try the beef burgundy pie. I find it hard to pick out a favourite place there overall; I lean slightly to Tower of London, but not by a lot over any number of other things.

I also managed to take a day trip up to Stamford, which is a most delightful place and a really nice way to get away from London for a day. Train travel in England ain't cheap, but if you can spare the expense, such a day trip if you're based in London can be a really nice change up.

One of the things it can be easy to do is look back and rue what you didn't do. For example; I wish I'd been able to see more of Bavaria, or Dresden. I wish I'd been to Vienna. I wish I'd been to Madrid. I wish I'd had the time to get to the Highlands in Scotland. I could keep going. But when you have five weeks as we did, you really can only do so much.

We'll just have to go back another time!

It was the trip of a lifetime.

Last edited:

Alright!

I'd never been, until then, to a city where you found your jaw dropping with every corner you rounded. The even stranger thing with that is, it's not necessarily the most landmark laden city, not compared to say a Paris or Rome, and with sincere apologies to Prague Castle which IS extremely impressive.

It's more the sheer beauty of the architecture of nearly every building you come across, in the Old Town anyway. It is exactly as you imagine old Europe, and unlike say Berlin or Warsaw, the circumstances and in particular, timeline of WWII meant that it largely escaped destruction; people say Warsaw was once strikingly similar to Prague, but you wouldn't know it today, because by July 1944 it had been razed to the ground almost completely. So had much of Berlin by the following April- and indeed, some areas of eastern Berlin remained rubble right up until after reunification in the early 1990s.

And then there is the food. German/Czech cuisine is not necessarily attractive or beautifully presented, but rarely is it not immensely satisfying, and in combination with a good stein of the innumerable and delicious pilsners, weissbiers and dunkels that dot the beerscape, they're pretty bloody compelling.

Berlin is an exciting, alive place; not necessary the most beautiful of cities, especially not in areas that were formally east of the Wall, but it also never has a dull moment and has generous lashings of history to go with it. Among other things, do yourself a favour and go to the Stasi museum if you're there; it's a fascinating (and at times slightly depressing) insight into what East Germany really was.

One regret I have is not spending more time in Austria (especially, missing Vienna), but the small sliver we did see was well worth it. Spent some time in Innsbruck, which has an alpine backdrop that can only be described as spectacular and a freezing, glacially-fed river surging (and I mean really flying) through the middle of it.

Italy- I liked Italy, and loved the food, but I liked the prices and the prevalence of touts rather less. In Venice, they really were everywhere. Rome is a bit dirty in parts, but how can you not have a fair bit of time for a city that has a new set of historical ruins or a monument of one stripe or another with almost every turn you make?

Spain- now, I ******* loved Spain. I went to Barcelona and San Sebastian only, didn't get to Madrid or the south unfortunately. But Barcelona was wonderful- the food was wonderful, the people were really friendly, the drink was plentiful and cheap, and the weather was sensational. Sagrada Familia really is one of the most remarkable things you'll ever see; it's very hard to describe exactly what it is, but anyone who has been wandering the streets and then suddenly come into a perspective where it looms up above you will relate. It is awe-inspiring. San Sebastian, meanwhile, is significantly more sleepy, but you'll need to recalibrate your body clock; things don't really operate before midday and run well into the night. The pintxos in San Sebastian are unlike any 'tapas' you'll have had, either here and probably in other parts of Spain either. Their ability to combine seemingly unlikely ingredients never ceases to amaze- how do smoked cod, green pepper, jamon, sardines, manchego and blue cheese go together and taste so amazing? I'm not sure, yet somehow they do.

Overall, it was very easy to remain blissfully unaware of just how tough many Spaniards are still doing it in the aftermath of the GFC even now. The place seemed, for all intents and purposes, happy and alive.

Next was Bordeaux. It isn't necessarily the most exciting place, per se, but it's still got its decent dash of history and of course, it's also the gateway to one of the better wine regions you'll find. Hot top- Margaux/Medoc is where it's at.

I really liked Paris. I'd heard a fair few negative things about it, but honestly I had a lot of fun. It is true that there are certainly areas you're best advised to stay away from, but then it ain't alone in that either. Cliched as it is, Moulin Rouge is pretty bloody cool.

Edinburgh is a great city and I wish my stay had been longer- the two castles and Royal Mile are the sort of places where you can get lost for days, I reckon. Dublin is not a particularly attractive city compared to some of its European and British counterparts, but the nightlife is fantastic; if you're in Temple Bar, do yourself a favour and get to the Porterhouse. They're a brew pub and make a seemingly endless range of great beers, across the entire spectrum too. We did ourselves a favour and got out of Dublin for the day as well; took a trip down to Kilkenny, Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough, and to anyone considering it, do it- it's well worth it. Apart from anything, just how green Ireland is really is quite astounding; you'll really see why it's called the Emerald Isle.

London was the last stop. I don't think I could live there, but what a city to visit. The amount of history all around never ceases to drop your jaw; it murders your wallet, to be sure, but as long as you're prepared for it, it's not so confronting. I did manage to have a cheeky reunion with one Lord Nicholson while over there, and he took me to a place called Gordon's Wine Bar- which, funnily enough, Howard Moon recommended to me on Facebook the very day that LN took me there. It is truly remarkable- pitch black apart from being lit by candles, doorways and indeed a ceiling not built for anyone over about 5ft 4, and serving only wine and port; this is a true wine bar. And if you do eat there, take it from me, try the beef burgundy pie. I find it hard to pick out a favourite place there overall; I lean slightly to Tower of London, but not by a lot over any number of other things.

I also managed to take a day trip up to Stamford, which is a most delightful place and a really nice way to get away from London for a day. Train travel in England ain't cheap, but if you can spare the expense, such a day trip if you're based in London can be a really nice change up.

One of the things it can be easy to do is look back and rue what you didn't do. For example; I wish I'd been able to see more of Bavaria, or Dresden. I wish I'd been to Vienna. I wish I'd been to Madrid. I wish I'd had the time to get to the Highlands in Scotland. I could keep going. But when you have five weeks as we did, you really can only do so much.

i was keen to do a multi answer but am most ashamed to confess... i don't know how to multi quote... and didnt wanna be that guy with the unreadable reply post.

But ill say i also had the love affair with Prague, but i felt like it was some kind of ye olde eastern european worlde- like a corner of disney land that was all on show for tourists. It just feels so perfect!, around every corner, the buildings, the street scapes, the matching food and beer for the occasion, its like, this cant be a functioning city can it? surely at the end of the day when all the tourists turn in...everyone clocks off, returns to normal type, goes home to eat mc donalds and swear at the tv, til tomorrow, the show starts again! Just a perfect looking trumanshow esc place

Alright!

I've found people asking me ad nauseum what my favourite country was. I find it very hard to answer that in truth, because every country I visited had its good points and I feel somewhat guilty in excluding the others in narrowing it down.

Came in here to help resolve my umming and ahhing about my destination for tonight/tomorrow...can't say that that's really helped. ;)

I'm nearly six weeks into a ten-week trip...a very, very disorganised, seat-of-the-pants trip. The flexibility of solo travel is great, but I could have done with someone to keep me on the straight and narrow...wasting a hell of a lot of time on admin and umming and ahhing and introspective glumness. :p

I've been to Berlin (~20 days), Belgium (3), Iceland (11), Amsterdam (6 - bookending Iceland), Florence (2 - on day two now).

The plan for the remainder was something like Prague (2), Budapest (3), Barcelona (3), Andalusia (3), Morocco (8), London (3/4), maaaybe Edinburgh (2), then back home via Frankfurt. But now that I'm in Italy I have the sads slightly at not doing it properly, so considering spending two days in Rome, pushing Prague back til after Budapest. Probably shouldn't, as I've already stretched myself so thin and am so god damn disorganised. Anyone got an opinion on the remaining itinerary? Anything to expand or cut down?

Hmm while in Italy try get down to amalfi/sorrento/capri/pompeii?

If in Spain, on the way toward Morocco I Reckon granada is a must, not just for the alhumbra but it rates as one of my alltimey places, has a bit of the aladdins to the old town , but with Spanish hospitality and tapas, and a uni town to boot so very bohemian and active

Took my little bloke down to see my parents on Raymond Island (Gippsland lakes)

jetty.jpg

Bit gloomy for a day or two but in 4 days he has seen wild

Koala
Kangaroo
Wallaby
Echidna
Rabbits
Pelicans
Swans
Ducks with ducklings
Dolphins
An Owl
Kookaburras
Cockies
Had lorikeets and rosella feed from his hand
Crabs
Caught a bream

All within 200m of home. Who needs Australia zoo? Send overseas tourists here for free!

Lucky little bloke.

Came in here to help resolve my umming and ahhing about my destination for tonight/tomorrow...can't say that that's really helped. ;)

I'm nearly six weeks into a ten-week trip...a very, very disorganised, seat-of-the-pants trip. The flexibility of solo travel is great, but I could have done with someone to keep me on the straight and narrow...wasting a hell of a lot of time on admin and umming and ahhing and introspective glumness. :p

I've been to Berlin (~20 days), Belgium (3), Iceland (11), Amsterdam (6 - bookending Iceland), Florence (2 - on day two now).

The plan for the remainder was something like Prague (2), Budapest (3), Barcelona (3), Andalusia (3), Morocco (8), London (3/4), maaaybe Edinburgh (2), then back home via Frankfurt. But now that I'm in Italy I have the sads slightly at not doing it properly, so considering spending two days in Rome, pushing Prague back til after Budapest. Probably shouldn't, as I've already stretched myself so thin and am so god damn disorganised. Anyone got an opinion on the remaining itinerary? Anything to expand or cut down?
That's tough, everything left on the list is worth it, and it doesn't look like you're overdoing any of it.

Speaking of which, what did you do for three weeks in Berlin?

That's tough, everything left on the list is worth it, and it doesn't look like you're overdoing any of it.

Speaking of which, what did you do for three weeks in Berlin?
Yeah, think I'm just going to keep pruning back, hopefully not too much. As it stands, dropping Edinburgh, down to three days in London, two in Budapest, up to three in Prague.

In Berlin - relatively little, could've cut that down massively in hindsight. Lots of dagging around in Kreuzberg is the short answer. Met a lovely American girl through Tinder and ended up hanging out with her at her Kreuzberg apartment for a week, so that probably padded things out somewhat, hah.

You need to see Prague, whether it be short or longer. Make it a priority.
Yeah, no chance of it being cut out, I'll get there. :thumbsu:

Budapest will probably just get cut down to Saturday - Sunday. Might make sense to cut Morocco, but it was one of the cornerstones of my (very minimal amount of) planning since day one, so I'll still try to smash it out I think.

What did you get up to in Prague mate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you consider cutting Budapest for say Krakow in Poland? Another cracking place, also there are other places along the way to Prague like cesky kromlov that are just as awesome but loads cheaper on budget, could do both along the way, Salzburg too was a weiner

Would you consider cutting Budapest for say Krakow in Poland? Another cracking place, also there are other places along the way to Prague like cesky kromlov that are just as awesome but loads cheaper on budget, could do both along the way, Salzburg too was a weiner
Flying out to Budapest tomorrow, already booked, so that one's set in stone. I originally had four days in Krakow/Warsaw planned, but ditched that as Amsterdam and Iceland ran over. Have done Salzburg (and Vienna) briefly, 10 years ago, in high school, so done mind missing those as much.

If I drop anything at this stage, it would be Morocco, purely by virtue of it being a trip that I can easily do later, standalone...and less nightlife-focused, which I may as well do now, before I creep any closer to 30. :D

But fwiw, I only have a day and a half in Budapest atm - Saturday evening, Sunday, and an overnight train to Prague.

Flying out to Budapest tomorrow, already booked, so that one's set in stone. I originally had four days in Krakow/Warsaw planned, but ditched that as Amsterdam and Iceland ran over. Have done Salzburg (and Vienna) briefly, 10 years ago, in high school, so done mind missing those as much.

If I drop anything at this stage, it would be Morocco, purely by virtue of it being a trip that I can easily do later, standalone...and less nightlife-focused, which I may as well do now, before I creep any closer to 30. :D

But fwiw, I only have a day and a half in Budapest atm - Saturday evening, Sunday, and an overnight train to Prague.
If it's nightlife you're after, I assume Szimpla Kert on Saturday night is a given?

Question to all travellers in attendance.

Best night out ever, location and details , from your travels?
dunno about "best", but amusing: Berlin, lining up for Berghain, accompanying someone who actually wante to get in, i dgaf. on 3/4 tab of acid, people-watching Berlin hipsters for 3.5 hours, both got rejected, wandered over to another club, danced til morning. it was...good?

Totally go there then. It's a rad little pile of bars in a bombed out warehouse complex.
Will do, thanks. Had ruin bars in general suggested aplenty, but that's the first specific one.

Think I'm going to hit up a pub crawl, lonesome solo traveller that I am, so hopefully that either ends up there at some point, or I'll wander in after. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back