Travel The Hangar Travel Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone clarify the legality of bringing aerosol deodorant on carry on luggage? I always thought you couldn’t do it. This website suggests you can

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav...travelling-with-powders-liquids-aerosols-gels

This page, still from home affairs, suggests you can’t

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/travelsecure/carry-on-baggage/what-i-cannot-take-onboard

Anyone got any first hand knowledge?
Check the luggage guidelines for your airline and your flight. I think sometimes it depends where you're going and the local laws there, but it should all be in your flight details.

All liquids in hand luggage the last time I went overseas had to add up to no more than a litre, could not be an aerosol and had to be sealed inside a zip lock bag. I also had a drink bottle but I had to empty it outside security checks and refill it once I was inside, couldn't carry water through the scanners.

Countdown is on to our USA holiday! :D

Nearly paid off our trip, we're going to Hawaii, LA, San Fran, driving and staying at Yosemite for a couple of nights, driving to Vegas, Orlando, Chicago, New York, Vancouver and then driving to Banff for a few days!

I'm so excited :D :D :D

Haven't really planned much for NY yet, we're there for 8 days and staying in Brooklyn, any tips?
What time of year are you going?
NY is ace...even just riding the subway you will get some great buskers hopping on the train and rapping etc and it will be one of the best parts of your trip.
Go see a Broadway show for cheap (Halftix in Times Square), Central Park and the High Line for walks, think you can catch the Statten Island ferry for free to get your photos of the Statue of Liberty. Rockefeller late arvo going into night so you get a great view of city at both times of day (views just as good as Empire State Building but you get it in your photos...google The Clash Rockefeller). Great museums and walking tours (I did a music one but they probably have one for every hobby).

San Fran...can recommend hiring a bike and heading out over Golden Gate Bridge. Alcatraz is worth it, one of the best audio tours of a museum I have done but you need to book a couple of days in advance (even now??) because if you rock up to SF and only have 2 days it will be booked out 2-3 days in advance. Rug up when you go out there...it is cold!

What time of year are you going?
NY is ace...even just riding the subway you will get some great buskers hopping on the train and rapping etc and it will be one of the best parts of your trip.
Go see a Broadway show for cheap (Halftix in Times Square), Central Park and the High Line for walks, think you can catch the Statten Island ferry for free to get your photos of the Statue of Liberty. Rockefeller late arvo going into night so you get a great view of city at both times of day (views just as good as Empire State Building but you get it in your photos...google The Clash Rockefeller). Great museums and walking tours (I did a music one but they probably have one for every hobby).

San Fran...can recommend hiring a bike and heading out over Golden Gate Bridge. Alcatraz is worth it, one of the best audio tours of a museum I have done but you need to book a couple of days in advance (even now??) because if you rock up to SF and only have 2 days it will be booked out 2-3 days in advance. Rug up when you go out there...it is cold!

We're going in March so spring! Yeah I am definitely going to book Alcatraz in advance, have heard you need to!

Our Air BnB is actually only a 10 minute walk from the Golden Gate Bridge :) I'm most looking forward to San Fran!

Thanks for all the tips, NY sounds amazing! We have 8 days which should be a good chunk of time!

This time next week I'll be at Brisbane airport to fly to Europe. Getting excited. Packed my bags today.

What are your stop overs? From Melbourne now apparently you can do it with just one stop in Perth! From Brisbane maybe through Singapore or something?

Taiwan. Which is good because I lived there for a couple of years so am catching up with some friends who are still there.

I'm flying in to Vienna.

Taiwan. Which is good because I lived there for a couple of years so am catching up with some friends who are still there.

I'm flying in to Vienna.
Oh nice! That's better than just sitting in a damned airport... or worse, running through one to make your flight.

What are you planning to see while you're there? And how long are you gone for?

Oh nice! That's better than just sitting in a damned airport... or worse, running through one to make your flight.

What are you planning to see while you're there? And how long are you gone for?

4 weeks. 2 weeks school holidays plus using two weeks of my long service.

Vienna
Salzburg
Prague
Cesky Krumlov
Dresden
Berlin
Krakow
Budapest
Timisoara
Sighisoara
Ljubljana
Zagreb
Split
Dubrovnik
Belgrade
Bar
Venice
Vienna

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 weeks. 2 weeks school holidays plus using two weeks of my long service.

Vienna
Salzburg
Prague
Cesky Krumlov
Dresden
Berlin
Krakow
Budapest
Timisoara
Sighisoara
Ljubljana
Zagreb
Split
Dubrovnik
Belgrade
Bar
Venice
Vienna
Sounds like a solid itinerary for four weeks! I haven't been to any of those places (yet), but a good few are on the bucket list.

Take lots of photos for us! :)

I get wind from airline food and compressed air, One highly combustible item is more than enough for safetys sake...leave the cans at home, they sell deodorant in the usa
And in the next episode of Howie's flatulence adventures...

Just landed in Seattle after a couple of days in Phoenix. Not much in Phoenix but got to see an NFL game, which is the reason I went.

a162ad1dd219acd8830dccb79c7b417d.jpg

cd61d96f2be07f75bb54194f3e72afad.jpg

Going to Austria, Ireland and Northern Norway from early December to mid January to visit family from both sides me(Austrian) gf(Norwegian). Stopping at Ireland for a party week in between.
Never really traveled to Europe during winter and I would like to pack light, how can this be achieved?

Last edited:
Going to Austria, Ireland and Northern Norway from early December to mid January to visit family from both sides me(Austrian) gf(Norwegian). Stopping at Ireland for a party week in between.
Never really traveled to Europe during winter and I would like to pack light, how can this be achieved?
take 2 sets of Le Bent thermal underwear (and socks) added to your usual winter gear. Additionally, a Uniquo slim line puffer can be worn over jumpers or under an overcoat.

I have friends who recently moved from New York to Taipei for work.

It's in the back of my mind as somewhere to go for a week or so.
I have been to Taipei three times, first well over 20 years ago. The pollution that was terrible then has been largely resolved. I love it. We went last year when the boys were both studying Mandarin and we put them into an intensive summer school program recommended by friends in HK (our daughter had also done the same course a couple of years before.) Of course they've now both dropped Chinese - one's doing Latin, the other is taking Spanish. Luckily I have no regrets about the Taipei visit. The food is fantastic, the people lovely, the geography spectacular and the history interesting. The Japanese influence is still evident making it a fascinating cultural mix. The only low point of our 10 days last year was going to a sports bar to see the Sydney v Ess game. Feeling confident we had the game in the bag, I went to the bathroom with 2 minutes to go; and was in disbelief on my return.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back