Travel The Hangar Travel Thread

Cambridge

It seems like there are more bicycles here than people, but not a MAMIL or power ranger to be seen - old skool

0DC5546E-1413-4DF3-A727-BD3087021708.jpeg
4D3BF923-5495-4A92-B305-E3606DB4A917.jpeg
16BB113F-7738-4786-AB6F-862010CA328B.jpeg

1C86C4CE-871B-49E1-8E04-A5B075B14B04.jpeg

Last edited:

Zephyr Spirally

Senior List
Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Hello, so the blended fam are all going to Europe for 6 weeks st Christmas time. We are actually spending Christmas week in Cambridge, Tesla! Your photos made me very happy.
Anyway on the way back we have a 3 day stopover in Singapore. We are tossing up between staying in Singapore itself or staying in Johore. A trip to Legoland on the Malay side (and maybe a quick trip to Hello Kitty world ) is planned. The kids are age 9 and 11. I’ve done a quick trip to singapore never been to Malaysia.
All advice welcome.

Hello, so the blended fam are all going to Europe for 6 weeks st Christmas time. We are actually spending Christmas week in Cambridge, Tesla! Your photos made me very happy.
Anyway on the way back we have a 3 day stopover in Singapore. We are tossing up between staying in Singapore itself or staying in Johore. A trip to Legoland on the Malay side (and maybe a quick trip to Hello Kitty world ) is planned. The kids are age 9 and 11. I’ve done a quick trip to singapore never been to Malaysia.
All advice welcome.
I'd stay in Singapore and visit JB. Having said that I've been to Sng many times but never been to JB so maybe that says more about me than either place. A friend of mine grew up in JB and visits his parents there from Sng but does not say anything good about his home town. With only 3 days, there'll be plenty to do on the Sng side of the causeway. I've heard good things about the biodome. At that age my kids loved the night safari at the zoo.

Zephyr Spirally

Senior List
Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd stay in Singapore and visit JB. Having said that I've been to Sng many times but never been to JB so maybe that says more about me than either place. A friend of mine grew up in JB and visits his parents there from Sng but does not say anything good about his home town. With only 3 days, there'll be plenty to do on the Sng side of the causeway. I've heard good things about the biodome. At that age my kids loved the night safari at the zoo.
Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I hadn’t even thought of the zoo!

All advice welcome.
I spent a few days over there earlier in the year sans the kids doing a bit of a reconnoitre. I am hoping to get back there with them as it is a great city! The Gardens by the Bay at night would be spectacular. I went during the day and checked it all out but young kids may not appreciate it as you probably need 3 hours to to get around to everything. That said, there is a kids water-park there although although it might suit younger kids. You can walk across from there to the Art Science Museum and there is also the iconic Marina Sands building which looks like 3 80 story towers with a big metal leaf on top. You won't have any problems getting around by underground train.

I did not get to the Disneyland or Universal studios but I'd probably check them out next time if I have the kids I reckon. A smaller, bmore bite-sized Disneyland would certainly suit my limited attention span.

Last edited:
Zephyr Spirally I meant "suit younger kids" not older for the water-park. The indoor water-fall with dinosaurs, crystals etc will be a winner as are the vertical gardens that you can climb to the top and walk around.

Zephyr Spirally

Senior List
Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I spent a few days over there earlier in the year sans the kids doing a bit of a reconnoitre. I am hoping to get back there with them as it is a great city! The Gardens by the Bay at night would be spectacular. I went during the day and checked it all out but young kids may not appreciate it as you probably need 3 hours to to get around to everything. That said, there is a kids water-park there although although it might suit older kids. You can walk across from there to the Art Science Museum and there is also the iconic Marina Sands building which looks like 3 80 story tower with a big metal leaf on top. You won't have any problems getting around by underground train.

I did not get to the Disneyland or Universal studios but I'd probably check them out next time if I have the kids I reckon. A smaller, bmore bite-sized Disneyland would certainly suit my limited attention span.

Thankyou so much. We were leaning toward JB mainly due to the lower prices on, well everything. But we are now having another look at Singapore, and will look at a day trip to the LEGO.

Zephyr Spirally

Senior List
Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Singapore for an easy visit, Malaysia for an interesting one.
Ha! That’s for that break down. I think that clinches it!
We are now looking for ahotel in Singapore with a pool the kids can use. I think we will even forego LEGO for the gardens. After 6-7 weeks in Europe, this stopover is about rest, getting ready for school and acclimatising to hot weather again.

So I'll be in <ahem> Brisbane for a week come Monday. Second last capital city I've yet to travel to. Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated. raskolnikov Billy ray?

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
So I'll be in <ahem> Brisbane for a week come Monday. Second last capital city I've yet to travel to. Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated. raskolnikov Billy ray?

Brisbane is ok but not a whole lot to do tourist wise. South bank is nice. Queen St mall for shopping. Eat Street in Hamilton is a great place to go at night for something to eat. I don't know your itinerary but the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast have a lot more to offer a tourist. Even a day trip to Toowoomba would be worthwhile. A beautiful city.

Wifey and I are going to Hobart for five days near the end of November. Our one year anniversary. Can't ******* wait.
oh wow! Has it been one whole year since you didn’t invite me to your wedding? congratulations, i guess.

Brisbane is ok but not a whole lot to do tourist wise. South bank is nice. Queen St mall for shopping. Eat Street in Hamilton is a great place to go at night for something to eat. I don't know your itinerary but the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast have a lot more to offer a tourist. Even a day trip to Toowoomba would be worthwhile. A beautiful city.
Well tbh I'm tagging along with wifey who is there for work so pretty much the whole week will be spent in Brisbane CBDish except the Saturday following the Friday (fly home Sunday night). I'll just be chilling by and in the pool in the glorious low 30's most of the time (I can't ******* wait). Good Food is a major priority too so Eat Street in Hamilton. Got it. Thanks. Toowoomba on the Saturday maybe worth a look then?

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Well tbh I'm tagging along with wifey who is there for work so pretty much the whole week will be spent in Brisbane CBDish except the Saturday following the Friday (fly home Sunday night). I'll just be chilling by and in the pool in the glorious low 30's most of the time (I can't ******* wait). Good Food is a major priority too so Eat Street in Hamilton. Got it. Thanks. Toowoomba on the Saturday maybe worth a look then?

Toowoomba is definitely worth a visit, especially at this time of year. Great parks and gardens and a lot of historical buildings.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
raskolnikov wifey is yapping at me about some place called Fortitude Valley for eating?

Fortitude Valley is ok and close to the CBD. Eat Street is definitely worth at least one night though.

Back