Food & Drink The Hangar Wine Thread! (posts moved from various locations)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh i dont drink wine. Never been able to. I used to think hey your young, you will grow into enjoying it. 26 now and still cant stand it. Feel like a peasant when my mates all start talking wine.

I learned something kinda cool about that line a while back, apparently there is a chemical in liver, fava beans and red wine that interacts badly with anti-psychotic drugs so it was a veiled hint that he hadn't been taking his meds.

The more you know. Nice little bit of trivia that one

Sigh i dont drink wine. Never been able to. I used to think hey your young, you will grow into enjoying it. 26 now and still cant stand it. Feel like a peasant when my mates all start talking wine.
It can be an acquired taste, certainly. I suggest easing your way into it with one of these handy contraptions:
6tJVQAP.jpg

You'll acquire the taste in no time.

nah I love a good champagne. Holy s**t, I took my wife for a $1000 dinner at Vue after the birth of our first son as a thank-you, cos she loves oozy cheese and good food and wine; and one of the wines we had was a seriously good Moet & Chandon. Mind blowing. Even a good $100 bottle is outstanding.

And I like white too. A lot. But I just love red too much to ever drink it that much.

I used to just focus on "big reds", but over the last few years I've really enjoyed how good a pinot can be, they aren't all just weak piss, you can get really intense flavour palettes too, if you get a good one
Nine out of ten winemakers dream of making the perfect Pinot (burgundy) it's a really tricky thing to grow but there's not much better when it comes together. I love red wine, white wine, sparkling wine, Sauternes, sherry in all its incarnations, port, ice wine but I have never taken to sparkling Shiraz, even the ones that are supposed to be good.

Nine out of ten winemakers dream of making the perfect Pinot (burgundy) it's a really tricky thing to grow but there's not much better when it comes together. I love red wine, white wine, sparkling wine, Sauternes, sherry in all its incarnations, port, ice wine but I have never taken to sparkling Shiraz, even the ones that are supposed to be good.
Yeah I can't see me buying one tbh.

Would probably still drink if given to me again though. :drunk:

I've got finding good wines in the Dan Murphy's bargain bin down to a fine art. The trick is to find wines from regions that don't have very large commercial vineyards, that means the wine is probably something decent that is in the bin because there was half a box left on the pallet or something and not because it's a s**t wine no one want to buy.

Mornington Peninsula, Yarra Valley, Clare Valley and Tasmania are usually good from the bargain bin. Be careful of 'South Eastern Australia' (can be anywhere other than WA and QLD but usually means the cheap vineyards in the Murray-Darling basin), the Barossa (a lot of s**t wine comes from there despite it's reputation), Coonawarra/Padthaway/Wrattonbully/Limestone Coast (high yielding vineyards that can suffer in cool years).
Seems like you have bought into the large commercial vineyards produce crap wines but small intensely hand managed vineyards make good wine myth. Large well managed commercial vineyards in the right climate for the variety can make excellent wine and some of the very worst wines come from small boutique horrendously expensively managed vineyards

Last edited:
The missus' stepdad was right into reds. He cellared his wines and brought them out, nicely aged, on special occasions.

Then one day he left his mobile phone where his wife (my missus' mum) could see his messages and there was a little text message on there from his secret mistress.

He left and never attempted to retrieve his wine. 5 years later and we are still getting through the collection...

Once you've tasted a good aged red you fall in love with red wine.

I've got finding good wines in the Dan Murphy's bargain bin down to a fine art. The trick is to find wines from regions that don't have very large commercial vineyards, that means the wine is probably something decent that is in the bin because there was half a box left on the pallet or something and not because it's a s**t wine no one want to buy.

Mornington Peninsula, Yarra Valley, Clare Valley and Tasmania are usually good from the bargain bin. Be careful of 'South Eastern Australia' (can be anywhere other than WA and QLD but usually means the cheap vineyards in the Murray-Darling basin), the Barossa (a lot of s**t wine comes from there despite it's reputation), Coonawarra/Padthaway/Wrattonbully/Limestone Coast (high yielding vineyards that can suffer in cool years).
Heathcote is in the first category I find, too.

Don't mind a red on a weekend. Tend to stay away from the really expensive stuff as I really can't tell the difference. Best bottle I ever had was about $180 at a steak restaurant (Charcoal Grill on the Hill), though it was 20 years ago and I haven't the faintest idea what it is.

These days tend to be more of a scotch drinker than anything else. Mind you, since I started at the gym 6 weeks ago I've even cut that down. Too bloody knackered!!

I bought my husband 18 bottles of 2004 Peter Lehman Stonewell Shiraz for his 30th birthday (obviously some time ago now). At the time it was a new concept of the wine being like shares - Langtons stored it for you in their wonderful cellar and you could sell it in a similar fashion to shares, or you could take it 6 bottles at a time and drink it.

Guess which we did?

As an aside I got very cranky when I was pregnant as hubby would sometimes bring a bottle of nice wine to a function and even if I had wanted to I couldn't even sip it, because all alcohol tasted like cardboard to me at the time.

I like most wines these days after enjoying white wine and then migrating to red over the years. Even Moscato has a place, namely at my in laws for brunch on Xmas day when my father in law starts on the Shiraz almost as soon as we walk in the door. I'm driving and we still have to go to my parents for the next meal!

My personal favourite Mt Marys Quintet, and I think Grange is overrated (unless you are giving it to me for free).

One of my mates runs the winemaking course at one of the TAFEs in SA, he can seriously pick a cheap and cheerful red. I've had nights where I bring a 20 dollar red on his recommendation and it smashes the much more expensive drops out of the park.

Fair job though, he basically lives in the Barossa half the time

I reckon the best red I've ever had was a mate's 21st, in 2009. His father had bought a bottle of 1982 (which was a fiercely dry year, good for the heavier reds) George Bass Cab Sav upon the birth of my mate in 1988...and said he'd open it on his mate's 21st.

He was as good as his word, and I got a rather generous glass of it.

Just velvet on the tongue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back