Food & Drink The Hangar Wine Thread! (posts moved from various locations)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry Pweter have no idea but this bump reminds me I've been meaning to ask tesla1962 about Tempranillos. Rarely get a bad one at restaurants yet I can't seem to buy a decent one off the shelf. It's pretty frustrating because I've had some absolute crackers dining out. Why is it so difficult to get a good one otherwise? We even looked into buying a case of one that we thought was amazing but there's only one distributor in Australia in the eastern states.

Remember what you drink in the restaurant, then buy it for $30 cheaper at the boozer.

It depends on your definition of decent. I've found Running With Bulls is a very safe buy but I tend to be more a budget wine drinker (I like good wine but can't justify spending more than $30 and I only buy $30 bottles rarely)

Sorry Pweter have no idea but this bump reminds me I've been meaning to ask tesla1962 about Tempranillos. Rarely get a bad one at restaurants yet I can't seem to buy a decent one off the shelf. It's pretty frustrating because I've had some absolute crackers dining out. Why is it so difficult to get a good one otherwise? We even looked into buying a case of one that we thought was amazing but there's only one distributor in Australia in the eastern states.
Beerfish sorry for the delay with this but the truth is I don't know much about the temperanillos from Rioja or, indeed, much about them in Australia. Please don't tell DERO he will be dissapointed and start sarcastically capitalising responses to my posts with WINE GURU and the like. Many Aussie regions have had a go at temperanillo but most haven't done it well. The exception is mclaren vale who probably have the most diverse and well regarded range of temperanillos. It has been told to me that this is due to the maritime influence but that doesn't make too much sense to me because Rioja is not maritime and warmer nights are probably going to lower colour and probably acid - temperanillo is fairly low acid to start with. Maybe they have just worked out how to manage it. My advice, gleaned from colleagues, is to mainly stay with McLean vale examples eg. Alpha box and dice. Also GSTs (Grenache Shiraz temp) blends are becoming more popular than the more well know GSMs from mclaren vale - I will try some in the next few weeks.

Beerfish sorry for the delay with this but the truth is I don't know much about the temperanillos from Rioja or, indeed, much about them in Australia. Please don't tell DERO he will be dissapointed and start sarcastically capitalising responses to my posts with WINE GURU and the like. Many Aussie regions have had a go at temperanillo but most haven't done it well. The exception is mclaren vale who probably have the most diverse and well regarded range of temperanillos. It has been told to me that this is due to the maritime influence but that doesn't make too much sense to me because Rioja is not maritime and warmer nights are probably going to lower colour and probably acid - temperanillo is fairly low acid to start with. Maybe they have just worked out how to manage it. My advice, gleaned from colleagues, is to mainly stay with McLean vale examples eg. Alpha box and dice. Also GSTs (Grenache Shiraz temp) blends are becoming more popular than the more well know GSMs from mclaren vale - I will try some in the next few weeks.
I am a big fan of McLaren Vale GSM's. Love the lighter, more delicate taste. Don't know much about them other than they don't smack you between the eyes like your traditional big Barossa reds. My in laws were bringing back some really interesting wine from there. I'd give them a couple of hundred bucks and say bring me back some good stuff and they always delivered...
And tesla1962 , you are a wine guru whether you like it or not!

This is amazing.

tridente-tempranillo-nv-bottle.jpg

What did you make of it DERO?
I tasted this a year or so ago and thought a very typical Australian Shiraz: full bodied, lots of fruit up front, some spice, nice oak that wasn't overpowering.
Nothing stood out that made it special (like contested marking) - just a well balanced, well made wine.

Last edited:
What did you make of it DERO?
I tasted this a year or so ago and thought a very typical Australian Shiraz: full bodied, lots of fruit up front, some spice, nice oak that wasn't overpowering.
Nothing stood out that made it special (like contested marking) - just a well balanced, well made wine.
Reports are varied.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it seems like redundancies are thick on the ground at the moment. My department in NSW has decided to reduce its investment in viticulture research for funding related political reasons. The fallout is that there is no longer a role for Leader, Viticulture (me sadly) but it looks like I am off to the south of England to run a Masters course in grapes and winemaking. The region is small but expanding due to climate change with some pretty smart wines. I think it will be fun but a long, long way away from seeing a game of AFL. Oh, and 37 days annual leave :)

Last edited:
Well it seems like redundancies are thick on the ground at the moment. My department in NSW has decided to reduce its investment in viticulture research for funding related political reasons. The fallout is that there is no longer a role for Leader, Viticulture (me sadly) but it looks like I am off to the south of England to run a Masters course in grapes and winemaking. The region is small but expanding due to climate change with some pretty smart wines. I think it will be fun but a long, long way away from seeing a game of AFL. Oh, and 37 days annual leave :)
WINE GURU

1-Mike Press. (14-17) esp his Shiraz. you will need to hit up a blackhearts & sparrow store for them i think
Gave the 2015 Shiraz a whirl on the weekend. A bit of an odd one, has some nice flavour to it but not much by way of body. I feel like it might age very nicely but isn't quite there yet.

Can't believe I forgot to mention this...

My grandfather gave the fiancee and I a bottle of Grange as a pre-wedding present!

Keep the cork from drying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back