Strategy The Hawk Supporters become One

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I love yelling Brooooooooost when he does well, and hearing the “Ooooooooooooooo” sound from around the stadium that says other Hawk supporters also appreciate Breust’s efforts. It is also fun to see opposition supports look in confusion when they think it is a boo.
My guess is that Breust loves it’s well.

So, why not set up similar sounds for other players. At worst it is fun, at best we can help our players be motivated to greater efforts.

My initial ideas are:
Nash could be shshshhhhhhshhhhhshhhhhh
Cyril will always be a slow Ceeeeeeyrrrroooolllll, Ceeeeeeeyrrrrooooll.
Worpel could be Wooorrrrp, woooorrrrp, wooooorrrrp, would sound like a frog.
Sicery could be SssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssIcery.

You get the idea...
We could make our supporters as one and let our players know of their huge support.
How good, and unique, would that be.
Then could come a few songs... ah la the English cricket team supporters.
So....

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Beautifully done Gold Member. A gif = 10,000 words.

I still have the English cheer squad’s chants in my head and how they are lauded and loved by their players. They make the group seem great.

I remember chanting, Lillee, Lillee, Lillee..... and loved it

Even copying the guy selling “Hot Pies” was fun at the cricket.

Whenever Ang Christou (edit: name fixed, thx) kicked the ball Carlton supporters gave a Woof. That was awesome.
We could do something similar with our players and they will like it as much.

Only Grampa Simpson would walk away from that because he is near senile.

Last edited:
I like anyone trying to get involved.

However - contrived chants and just that - contrived. The Breuuusst chant happened organically so it is great. Force it upon other players as a result of some directive and people won't enjoy it. It's a bit like when singers point the mic to Aussie crowds and barely anyone sings back - they always look so flummoxed, but that's Aussie crowd behaviour. As a collective, we won't be told what to chant.

Like the game on Saturday - that poor bastard doing the announcing tried his absolute hardest to get the 'We are Essenscum, we.are.Essenscum' chant started up and absolutely no-one got involved.

However - contrived chants and just that - contrived. The Breuuusst chant happened organically so it is great. Force it upon other players as a result of some directive and people won't enjoy it. It's a bit like when singers point the mic to Aussie crowds and barely anyone sings back - they always look so flummoxed, but that's Aussie crowd behaviour. As a collective, we won't be told what to chant.

Like the game on Saturday - that poor bastard doing the announcing tried his absolute hardest to get the 'We are Essenscum, we.are.Essenscum' chant started up and absolutely no-one got involved.
Gee that was embarrassingly bad and cringe worthy

Gee that was embarrassingly bad and cringe worthy

My mate and I got a good laugh over how the * fans didn't even get involved. Granted, I wouldn't be enthusiastic about supporting such a wretched organisation either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry Alite I don't meant to come across as a jerk but when Breust gets the ball people are cheering ooooooh as much as it does sound like that.

What is actually being cheered is "BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST" as it's just a play on his last name!!

I was near M10 on Saturday.

When Roughead kicks a goal.....there is a chorus sung of "All you needs is Rough" (the Beatles) by at least 300 supporters.
“All you need is ROUGH, ROUGH Da da da da. All you need is ROUGH, ROUGH, Rough is all ya need”

They also have chants for Breust, Cyril and Burgoyne.

Sorry Alite I don't meant to come across as a jerk but when Breust gets the ball people are cheering ooooooh as much as it does sound like that.

What is actually being cheered is "BROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST" as it's just a play on his last name!!
No issues H33. My point was that the BR and the ST is lost within the dominant “Ooooooooo” sound.
My brother and I agree that even if Breust was a sniper and got booos from the opposition, it would sound like a “well done” Breuooooooooost from supporters. The man is immune to booooos...

Last edited:

Fair point for older more reserved supporters.

I bring my young son to the games and he gets most excited when he gets to yell Broooost... eat some hot chips, and hear the song at the end (don’t we all). At his young age he gets into the theatre of footy as much as, if not more than, the skills of the game. I figure that anything that brings kids to watch the Hawks has to have value.

Last edited:
Fair point for older more reserved supporters.

I bring my young son to the games and he gets most excited when he gets to yell Broooost... eat some hot chips, and hear the song at the end (don’t we all). At his young age he gets into the theatre of footy as much as, if not more than, the skills of the game. I figure that anything that brings kids to watch the Hawks has to have value.

Once you get him to an age where it's alright for him to hear torrents of questionable language - get him around to the M10 lads for a game. They are absolute rippers - certainly add to the pageantry of a day at the footy.

I was near M10 on Saturday.

When Roughead kicks a goal.....there is a chorus sung of "All you needs is Rough" (the Beatles) by at least 300 supporters.

The 'Ohhhhh Cyril, I would give anything just to be like him' to the tune of Errol by Australian Crawl is my favourite.

Should do

"Jaeger O' Meara" to the tune of "Juantanamera"

Cringeworthy ones :
"You Cegsy thing" by T shirt I think
"Cegs on fire" by Kings of Leon

Can't think of any more :drunk:

Should do

Cringeworthy ones :

Gotta give it to you. Juantanamera made me LOL on the train. Can definitely hear the M10 mob busting that one out. Nice!!!

Sent from M10 with a hoarse voice, warm beer & a cold pie.

Should do

Cringeworthy ones :

I hadn’t heard this but G(J)uantanamera by the Sandpipers is a perfect fit for Jaegar.
Damn, now that it is in my head I’ll be hearing it all night. .... Phonetically: Jay-gar-O,mera...
That is gold.

When Jordan Lewis was kicking for goal I’d think .... Lewey, Lewey, oh baby, he’ll kick the goal... yeah yeah yeah. A song from the Kingsmen.
I thought that song would be gone but fotunately we have a new Lewey in Mitchell Lewis who is looking the goods to bring it back.

Mitch Lewey, Lewey, oh baby, he’ll kick the goal... yeah yeah yeah.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back