Prediction Pre-Season Supplemental Selection & Mid-Season Rookie Draft

Who would you choose in the Mis-Season Draft: Multiple selections allowed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Many thanks eldorado. I have editited the initial post and title to replace “must” and “will” with “can”.
Your constructive feedback was awesome.
I have also added some info to make the initial post as complete as I can make it.

At this stage it seems unlikely that the Hawks will use their last option for a spot on the rookie list before 2019’s seasons start. It looks like they will hold the option untill mid-season.

Teams in development mode would likely fill their list to get the guys into their system.

But the Hawks want the option to fill a gap (due to injury or other). That is a club looking to contend.
We only have a Cat B spot open, we aren't eligible for that rule this year

We only have a Cat B spot open, we aren't eligible for that rule this year
I believe we have the option of moving Langford to an inactive list (kinda like what Carlton will do with Docherty) which will free up a spot.

But I doubt we'd use it during preseason. We'd keep the spot up our sleeve for mid-season so that we can cover for injury (especially now that we only really have 3 rucks on our list).

I believe we have the option of moving Langford to an inactive list (kinda like what Carlton will do with Docherty) which will free up a spot.

But I doubt we'd use it during preseason. We'd keep the spot up our sleeve for mid-season so that we can cover for injury (especially now that we only really have 3 rucks on our list).
possibly, but we haven't done that, and we've not indicated any interest in a list change like that at this point

things could change after Christmas but I agree that mid season could be the spot we aim for if needed

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn

JD1992

Debutant
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The player training at Hawks is reported to be a 20 yr old ruck/ fwd, 208cm tall. Came from oakleigh charges, played with StKevins in ammos last season

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

MrBeefSeven

Senior List
Apr 11, 2013
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Very unlikely, but I reckon it’d be cool if we got back Alex Woodward.
16 Liston votes in 8 games last year. As a footballer he is quality.
Would seem to be somewhat of a risk with his knees, but it’s only to fill in while Titch is out, just one year.
Also happy to not get anyone and use this as an opportunity to develop our young guys.

Looks like we are looking at Ned Reeves to fill the list spot left by Langford.
He is currently training with Hawthorn and is a 208cm Ruck/Forward
Langers remains on the (Rookie) list.

Pretty sure he didn't leave a list spot that could be filled by a mid-season Draft pick.

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
Langers remains on the (Rookie) list.

Pretty sure he didn't leave a list spot that could be filled by a mid-season Draft pick.
He can be put on the inactive list meaning we can add someone in for him.
Same Story with T.Mitchell. Can be placed on the inactive list meaning we could sign someone in the period before March 15

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC
Looks like we are looking at Ned Reeves to fill the list spot left by Langford.
He is currently training with Hawthorn and is a 208cm Ruck/Forward

I can't see why we would go with Reeves when we have McEvoy, Ceglar, Pittonet, and Lewis on the list already. Have him play for Box Hill sure, let him learn our systems but I think we should go for our biggest needs with this list flexibility.

Our traded in recruits give us options to rotate the midfield, there is a player that reminds me of Nathan Krueger last year. Zane Barzen a key forward/med forward that has skill yet was overlooked. Buckenara rated him in the top 50 around the same level as Kosi.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Very raw. He looks very unco and most of his marks at junior level were taken on opponents that were severely undersized against him.

His vertical leap and body positioning didn’t look quite up to scratch, he wouldn’t get away with it at AFL level where the bodies are bigger and the talent is more abundant.

I must admit though, his tap-work in the ruck was very impressive. Almost Gawn like. Wouldn’t be as dominant against bigger and better ruckman but still could go okay.

If we took him as a rookie it would be a very speculative pick. His hands do look pretty good so with a lot of work on his ability to cover the ground and his leading/positioning in contests you never know, he might just make it.

The fact that he is training with us suggests that we aren’t confident that Pitto is going to be our next ruckman...

Last edited:

RIOLINWITPUNCHS

Big Footy Member
Sep 30, 2009
Back Of My Kombi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Aug 16, 2009
Behind you
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Very unlikely, but I reckon it’d be cool if we got back Alex Woodward.
16 Liston votes in 8 games last year. As a footballer he is quality.
Would seem to be somewhat of a risk with his knees, but it’s only to fill in while Titch is out, just one year.
Also happy to not get anyone and use this as an opportunity to develop our young guys.
I love this idea but assume it won’t happen.
I reckon we could do worse that putting Moore on the senior list. He’s shown good form at Box Hill, would know the system and some of the boys. He would be a strong body in a contest.
I would give him a year as long as he understood his role would be to help the young blokes develop, be an onfield coach and block/protect as much as possible to help the development of young blokes.
Might mean 10-15 games with no fanfair.
I reckon this will also mean a lot of games for Henderson. Titch got a lot of possessions because of his ability to run and find space (on top of his obvious ability to extract the pill from a pack).
Hendo can’t do the inside work but can do the running and find space.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I love this idea but assume it won’t happen.
I reckon we could do worse that putting Moore on the senior list. He’s shown good form at Box Hill, would know the system and some of the boys. He would be a strong body in a contest.
I would give him a year as long as he understood his role would be to help the young blokes develop, be an onfield coach and block/protect as much as possible to help the development of young blokes.
Might mean 10-15 games with no fanfair.
I reckon this will also mean a lot of games for Henderson. Titch got a lot of possessions because of his ability to run and find space (on top of his obvious ability to extract the pill from a pack).
Hendo can’t do the inside work but can do the running and find space.
Hendo needed on a wing as Scull will go inside now.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Here are some ideas from the AFL’s website:

HAWTHORN was already considering topping up its list before Brownlow medallist Tom Mitchell's potentially season-ending leg break on Friday.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-11/hawks-were-considering-adding-to-list-before-bad-break

Inside mid options:
Kieren Lovell qualifies for the Hawks having re-nominated for the 2018 draft.
Others up for consideration include Mitch Grigg (Norwood), Jye Bolton (Claremont) and Michael Gibbons (Williamstown), all winners of respective state league best and fairests in 2018.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-11/did-the-hawks-delist-their-ideal-mitchell-replacement

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Very raw. He looks very unco and most of his marks at junior level were taken on opponents that were severely undersized against him.

His vertical leap and body positioning didn’t look quite up to scratch, he wouldn’t get away with it at AFL level where the bodies are bigger and the talent is more abundant.

I must admit though, his tap-work in the ruck was very impressive. Almost Gawn like. Wouldn’t be as dominant against bigger and better ruckman but still could go okay.

If we took him as a rookie it would be a very speculative pick. His hands do look pretty good so with a lot of work on his ability to cover the ground and his leading/positioning in contests you never know, he might just make it.

The fact that he is training with us suggests that we aren’t confident that Pitto is going to be our next ruckman...
from Knightmare:

Player Focus
The tallest player in the TAC Cup, Oakleigh overage ruckman and key forward Ned Reeves, was one of the weekend's surprise packets. Through the ruck, the 207cm, 96kg bigman was occasionally overpowered body-on-body by the more powerful, overage ruckman Lloyd Meek, who stands at an imposing 202cm, 104kg. But Reeves in his own right proved effective with his reach and ability to tap the ball down to the advantage of his teammates.
While capable through the ruck, what was most noteworthy with Reeves was his work as a key forward. In exceptionally windy conditions, Reeves timed his leads well and regularly read the drop of the ball which other forwards struggled to do in the conditions. He also showed the capacity to take marks overhead at full stretch, which was impressive.
One unexpected but pleasing play from Reeves was a tackle which seconds later he recovered from, before smothering an opponent's kick.
With 16 disposals, 15 contested possessions, four marks (three contested), 21 hit-outs, four clearances and two goals, the signs are there to suggest scope to develop. While only currently a draft smokey, Reeves' stocks are improving and he's an outside chance to land on an AFL list come November.

And
2017 Draft Combine Result
Kicking test (out of 30)

Ned Reeves - 29

Also

Ned REEVES
31-Oct-98 | 207.8cm | 95.3kg | Oakleigh Chargers
“Reevesy missed the first half of the year with a hip operation. He grew and put on size over the summer and for a guy his size, his skill level is very good by hand and foot. We wanted to test him out as a key forward and he was effective for us taking marks and kicking goals. As with most big blokes, his best footy is ahead of him.” – Oakleigh Chargers talent manager Craig Notman.

Rating out of 5
Kicking: 4, Marking : 2.5, Accumulating: 2.5, Cont. Ball: 4, Speed: 3, Agility: 3, Endurance: 2.5, Range: Late pick/Rookie

http://m.afl.com.au/video/2017-09-30/draft-prospect-ned-reeves

Last edited:

JD1992

Debutant
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I would suggest not Pitto, but if Cegler is not resigned after the season, we would have McEvoy, Pitto, then a project ruck...

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Let's be honest, if we are relying on someone not yet on an AFL list to contribute anything, 2019 is as good as gone.

Happy to top the list up with another kid but really we need to look to what we have and fill the (huge) void as best we can.

Being competitive in 2019 requires career best football from O'Meara, Wingard and Shiels, significant improvement from Worpel and a fit and firing Scully. Even with that, we will be beaten in the midfield most weeks and it's up to Clarko to devise a game plan around likely losing the midfield.

Back