The Hawthorn 3peat: is it an accident of history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're inability to comprehend isn't my problem. Agreeing with the OP (which is an obvious troll anyway) just makes you a simpleton. Now run along.

your.

Best to get things right when accusing others of being simpletons.......

I wouldn't say accident of history but you'd have to be moronic to think the compromised drafts had no impact in extending their run at the top.

Basically this.

Accident of history is just a subjective term.

Of course the compromised drafts had an impact and helped the Hawks. That’s just logic. But so what?

your.

Best to get things right when accusing others of being simpletons.......
Thanks mate. I’d blame that typo on not bothering to proof-read due to a hangover, but I think all the exposure to the drivel from some Essendon posters is killing more brain cells.

I visited all the "alternate universes", "quantum universes", "interpenetrating dimensions", "parallel dimensions", "parallel worlds", "parallel realities", "quantum realities", "alternate realities", "alternate timelines", and "dimensional planes", and in every single one of them I found deluded Essendon supporters crapping on about Hawthorn winning 3 flags in a row is somehow diminished, for some obscure reasoning that can never be quantified.

Just on a side note, you still get that warm fuzzy feeling that they just can't get over it, and still do us a favour of constantly talk about it.

Basically this.

Of course the compromised drafts had an impact and helped the Hawks. That’s just logic. But so what?

Without the compromised draft we could have easily won 5 in a row. We did a pretty good job of lifting ourselves up from being the middle of the road side we were in 2009 and 2010 with players acquired during the compromised period. Imagine what we could have done with the picks that would have trickled down to the later first round if GWS and GC had not been in play. One extra decent player may have been enough to beat Sydney in 2012, and a little more depth in 2016 and we'd likely have maintained our top of the ladder position we had with a few rounds to go and run over Geelong and then Sydney to make a grand final and most likely beat a finals inexperienced GWS or Dogs.

"Nobody was able to catch up" ignores the fact that we were impacted too, and others were further ahead of us in 2009/2010 that we went past during the compromised period. You remove the compromise, and we get better too, certainly we may not have improved as much as cellar dwellers getting #1 picks would have, but they were basket cases, and were never going to catch up even without the concessions.

The real accident of history here is how the compromise robbed Hawthorn of an unprecedented 5 in a row. Jealous opposition fans should be thankful for the compromise, but I'm sure they'd have found a way to undermine the 5-peat had the compromise not prevented it from happening.

If the needles and paper shredding guys had not got caught, they would have been winning 3 in a row and nor your lot.;)

Nah, they were busting hammy's and calves all over the place

Dank may have found a solution to all that, given more time in the lab.:p

I still think Dank and the Essendon brains trust have been underestimated. The doping scandal was all about the long game. The true purpose of the 'supplement' saga will unfold in 15 or so years when the father son mutant army rise up and sweep all before them.

Basically this.

Precisely.

It's not like they got half size cups or anything - three flags is three flags.

But of course the entry of the expansion clubs created circumstances favourable to the Hawks winning three straight - a team that would otherwise have not have been good enough to do so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo and Swans were favourites going in to the match...
That's because most footy pundits don't have a clue. Adelaide were favourites this year; yet it was obvious to anyone with with any footy nous that Richmond would win easily. Interstate teams get way too much advantage during the season (and finals) and then, lo and behold, come GHF day it is revealed that they're not nearly as good as they appeared on home soil.

Hawthorn were incredibly lucky to come up against three dud interstate sides in three successive GFs. All three games pretty much highlight-free snore-fests.

So * tigers premiership

That's because most footy pundits don't have a clue. Adelaide were favourites this year; yet it was obvious to anyone with with any footy nous that Richmond would win easily. Interstate teams get way too much advantage during the season (and finals) and then, lo and behold, come GHF day it is revealed that they're not nearly as good as they appeared on home soil.
Wow. This is an amazingly poor argument.

Everyone else is dumb and I told you so

Okaaaaaaaaay....

Hawthorn were incredibly lucky to come up against three dud interstate sides in three successive GFs. All three games pretty much highlight-free snore-fests.

Tigers were incredibly lucky to peak at the right time during the weakest season in living memory.

With a flag based on a game plan with a short shelf life, a zero injury list, and easy draw, coupled with a very weak year with no standout team, and a list which falls away faster than any other after their top 3 or 4, I fully expect Richmond to return to business as usual next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back