Opinion Hawthorn - Clarkson - Fagan Racism Investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

So if you went to work tomorrow and your boss said “look, I’ve got concerns about your family life, and I think we need to make some changes for the betterment of the company… so, handover your personal phone, tell your missus and family you cant see them anymore, oh, and tell her to have an abortion because you are gonna be living with another one of our employees from now on and we’ll tell you who you can see, talk to, where you can go and what you can do”..

You’d be fine with that?..

I can tell you I’d be telling them to get fxxked and I’d be ringing the police to report it.. followed by ringing fair work australia/workcover/my union if I was in one..

You reckon what you posted is a criminal offence? They’d laugh at you, or at least they should.

If the investigation panel can’t be worked out, this will be going to court as reported on “On the couch”.
When the going gets tough, Gil the dill had nfi what to do

There is talk he wants to stay on for longer because of this review... when we will be better off for his exit from AFL house.

You reckon what you posted is a criminal offence? They’d laugh at you, or at least they should.
So what your saying is… you don’t actually know if a criminal offence would‘ve been committed in my scenario.. because your caveat of “or at least they should laugh at you“ doesn’t exactly scream confidence.

I’d say any employers threats to restrict the personal liberties of a person employed by them would be taken very seriously.. if not by the police then by worksafe/workcover and fairwork Australia who in some instances can have just as much, if not more, power than the police to prosecute when it comes to workplace law…

I’ve been telling you that you and your type are part of the problem. You make it much easier for the misery to continue.
My type?, what type is that?… the type that thinks we should all be treated equally?.. regardless of the colour of your skin?

are you the type to disagree with that?

The push to get a "football person" onto the investigative panel is interesting.

Isn't the whole point that maybe some "football people" have lost perspective of appropriate boundaries and their responsibilities?

Trying to shoehorn someone who "gets football..." - is that admitting some actions taken might be frowned upon if viewed solely by people who've not been indoctrinated into how clubs operate?

The push to get a "football person" onto the investigative panel is interesting.

Isn't the whole point that maybe some "football people" have lost perspective of appropriate boundaries and their responsibilities?

Trying to shoehorn someone who "gets football..." - is that admitting some actions taken might be frowned upon if viewed solely by people who've not been indoctrinated into how clubs operate?

Which is why this might end up in court. The families don’t want to be interviewed by football people, they don’t trust them.

If the AFL try and get their way and the panel not be seen as impartial then this goes to court - Brisbane and North will be looking for new coaches. Sometimes those in football aren’t as smart as they think there are.

And the families reportedly have said that money isn’t the issue here either.

Strange isn’t it..

almost a “normal people wouldn’t understand why someone would take someone else’s SIM card away, isolate them from their family and friends, force them to move in with a “minder” and tell them to get their now ex missus to terminate her pregnancy” claim..

“only footy coaches that have coached at the top level would understand the reasoning behind this type of genius coaching tactic”!…

Which is why this might end up in court. The families don’t want to be interviewed by football people, they don’t trust them.

If the AFL try and get their way and the panel not be seen as impartial then this goes to court - Brisbane and North will be looking for new coaches. Sometimes those in football aren’t as smart as they think there are.

And the families reportedly have said that money isn’t the issue here either.
Which is why the AFL should hand this whole investigation over to the proper authorities to investigate.

the accused and the accusers can all have their say and present their evidence in interviews with the proper authorities..

why wouldn’t the AFL simply do this?… seems like the most sensible course of action..

do they have something to worry about if they let it be taken out of their hands?..

100% agree. I thought the same thing. Seems like they need someone on the panel to explain why mistakes were made.

Last edited:
Which is why the AFL should hand this whole investigation over to the proper authorities to investigate.

the accused and the accusers can all have their say and present their evidence in interviews with the proper authorities..

why wouldn’t the AFL simply do this?… seems like the most sensible course of action..

do they have something to worry about if they let it be taken out of their hands?..

They have seen the review report so had their legal eagles looking at it and it probably concerns them.

We are in the midst of attempting to amend our Constitution for First Nations.

This whole thing has to be carefully dealt with.

Yes, surely a panel independent of football interests is needed.

AFL isn't some sort of special workplace where only insiders understand what is appropriate behaviour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many indigenous members does the AFLCA have?

I think they’d be better off sitting this one out.

It's kinda their Job to go into bat for their members though isn't it?

Arent they wanting to appoint an Indigenous representative and two females reps to the panel. I don't see much issue with having representation from someone who would have knowledge of how coaching/footy clubs work. They don't necessarily need to be from within the current AFL system.

So if you went to work tomorrow and your boss said “look, I’ve got concerns about your family life, and I think we need to make some changes for the betterment of the company… so, handover your personal phone, tell your missus and family you cant see them anymore, oh, and tell her to have an abortion because you are gonna be living with another one of our employees from now on and we’ll tell you who you can see, talk to, where you can go and what you can do”..

You’d be fine with that?..

I can tell you I’d be telling them to get fxxked and I’d be ringing the police to report it.. followed by ringing fair work australia/workcover/my union if I was in one..

If your home life was significantly affecting your job performance, in normal situations, you’d be warned then sacked.

It could be seen that way, or just as likely a pre-emptive strike to guard against the possibility that a lack of knowledge & context becomes a problem

A family court judge has a very different view of society compared to say a sociology student. Not everyone brings the same perspective to every question

How is it their job?
They exist to advocate for the interests of the coaches. Two of their members face dismissal. They should sit it out?

Advocating for the investigation to have a person representing their interests is hardly John Setka territory, though DABM is correct in that it does raise questions about what has actually occurred.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back