The Hawthorn Game Plan - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

There are a lot of mini discussions in a lot of different threads about how we are playing, and what the game plan is (if we do in fact have one) - thought it might be a good idea to centralise it.

The positives:
1st Tackles Per Game
1st Tackles Inside 50 Per Game
1st Tackles Inside 50 Team - Opponent Differential
1st Contested Marks Per Game
1st Intercepts Per Game
2nd Tackles Team - Opponent Differential

It's clear to see that the fundamental pressure that our team has been based on for a long time now hasn't changed. That effort is still there.

Drop your comments here.

There are a lot of mini discussions in a lot of different threads about how we are playing, and what the game plan is (if we do in fact have one) - thought it might be a good idea to centralise it.

The positives:
1st Tackles Per Game
1st Tackles Inside 50 Per Game
1st Tackles Inside 50 Team - Opponent Differential
1st Contested Marks Per Game
1st Intercepts Per Game
2nd Tackles Team - Opponent Differential

It's clear to see that the fundamental pressure that our team has been based on for a long time now hasn't changed. That effort is still there.

Drop your comments here.

That one stands out and really surprises me, it's not something that I would have picked at all.

WHEN THEY HAVE IT
1. Apply high pressure on the ball carrier to force a rushed disposal
2. Cover the immediate outlet options by standing in the space between them and the ball (intercept or force a high handball)
3. Always man the mark to slow them down and prevent them from playing on
4. Try to force them to kick long down wings to contests
5. Flood D50 and try to force them to kick out wide towards boundaries for spoiling

WHEN WE HAVE IT
1. Use short kicks to maintain possession or to take ground
2. Use overlapping run with handballing to move the ball forward quickly in bursts
3. Use long kicks to contests when prior the 2 options aren't available
4. Hit up shorts leads inside F50 if available
5. Otherwise kick long to contests inside F50 with forwards to crumb

WHEN IN CONTEST
1. Swarm the ball and man up their outlets by keeping ball side (again intercept or force a high handball)
2. Ready to pressure their ball winners into a turnover/incorrect disposal
3. Our own outlet players set up staggered behind the play as options by hand for our ball winners
4. In general guide loose ball forwards and towards the boundaries to gain ground and reset with a stoppage
5. When in F50 lock the ball in there with a perimeter of players just outside the 50m arc looking to intercept a rushed kick out

I was rather surprised to see the contested marking stats, but I've thought about it and it makes sense.

The best teams move it fast, and in fact most teams are trying to, which eliminates a lot of potential pack/contested marking situations.

We don't, unfortunately, and we have all seen the resulting bombs down the line. So we create a lot of potential opportunities. We have also had Big Boy in dominant form all season, who has been clunking a lot of marks.

I would imagine that Sicily and Scrimshaw in particular have helped bolster those numbers too.

One big thing I've noticed we've stopped doing with regularity is switching the ball across half back. It used to be the bread and butter of our forward attacks (in prior years). I'm not sure why we're not doing it as much any more because it still often looks like we're setting up for it to only then go the long bomb down the line.

Could be a ploy to draw opposition numbers away from the drop but it just seems like such a waste. We still have so many skilled kickers that could take full advantage of it. Hopefully there's something bigger at play that I'm not seeing.

I was rather surprised to see the contested marking stats, but I've thought about it and it makes sense.

The best teams move it fast, and in fact most teams are trying to, which eliminates a lot of potential pack/contested marking situations.

We don't, unfortunately, and we have all seen the resulting bombs down the line. So we create a lot of potential opportunities. We have also had Big Boy in dominant form all season, who has been clunking a lot of marks.

I would imagine that Sicily and Scrimshaw in particular have helped bolster those numbers too.
The first two or so games was a clunkathon

One big thing I've noticed we've stopped doing with regularity is switching the ball across half back. It used to be the bread and butter of our forward attacks (in prior years). I'm not sure why we're not doing it as much any more because it still often looks like we're setting up for it to only then go the long bomb down the line.

Could be a ploy to draw opposition numbers away from the drop but it just seems like such a waste. We still have so many skilled kickers that could take full advantage of it. Hopefully there's something bigger at play that I'm not seeing.

What frustrates me is that when we do look to switch or take an inboard kick, it's invariably from our deepest forward which is either Brand or Frawley, neither of whom are ultra reliable.

We don’t do it anymore because it became too predictable. Then we got annihilated by teams like Richmond and Melbourne who cut it off. Sides in general are better at cutting the easy switch now.
We are looking for the 25 metre kick to the corridor now but haven’t worked out how to play on from that yet and/or haven’t got the speedsters off half back (except for Impey)

Equal first with Collingwood on 99, Carlton is second on 98

Geelong is 6th on 84 and North is last on 63

McEvoy on 21 then daylight to Sicily on 9, Rough and Gunston on 8, Hendo, Impey, Scrimshaw, Breust and Lewis all on 6 thanks to him pulling in 4 against Melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember an interview with Chip Frawley early on in the 2018 preseason where he spoke about increased pressure and scoring from turnovers being the focus. Whilst the team haven’t quite mastered it this game style has been more evident this year. I don’t see the coaching group abandoning it just yet unless they believe out ball use can not improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the game plan was "get the ball in our D50, kick to Pocket, flood to Wing, kick to pack, win contested possession and spread quickly"
The issue appears to be the last two there. We do the first part ok :)
It's simplistic, but how about the old "cluster at CHB" for a kickout and then break from that? Would it work in this day and age?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back