Podcast The Heat Room - Gold Coast Suns Podcast

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’m listening now and this homage to GAJ they are conducting is doing my head in. They are completely out of touch with the fans and locals.
Sean Tobin is good mates (and business partner) with GAJ so he was never going to say anything other than positive stuff. Ablett related content aside, I enjoyed listening to it and you can tell these two have a good insight into the club. I think Tobin in particular can give us fans some context about what it was like inside the four walls in those formative years when we were all asking questions so I'm looking forward to hearing what he reveals over the coming weeks. He kind of touched on what it was like on a Monday after a heavy loss but didn't give specific examples of what happened (yet).

I would ask all Suns fans to please embrace this podcast, listen to it weekly and send them question via social media because we very rarely get the opportunity to get a better insight into our club and this is one of those rare opportunities where a former club employee and a current journalist who covers (covered?) the team want to give us more information.

Let's all embrace this because the end result is better coverage for the team we all love and support. Greater media exposure comes with so many benefits (for us and the club) and we have an opportunity here to prove there is demand for better coverage of our club. I can't express enough how important I think it is for our fanbase to embrace this podcast.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The two hosts Twitter pages you can send questions to:

I suppose we should probably use a hashtag like #TheHeatRoom ?

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sean Tobin is good mates (and business partner) with GAJ so he was never going to say anything other than positive stuff. Ablett related content aside, I enjoyed listening to it and you can tell these two have a good insight into the club. I think Tobin in particular can give us fans some context about what it was like inside the four walls in those formative years when we were all asking questions so I'm looking forward to hearing what he reveals over the coming weeks. He kind of touched on what it was like on a Monday after a heavy loss but didn't give specific examples of what happened (yet).

I would ask all Suns fans to please embrace this podcast, listen to it weekly and send them question via social media because we very rarely get the opportunity to get a better insight into our club and this is one of those rare opportunities where a former club employee and a current journalist who covers (covered?) the team want to give us more information.

Let's all embrace this because the end result is better coverage for the team we all love and support. Greater media exposure comes with so many benefits (for us and the club) and we have an opportunity here to prove there is demand for better coverage of our club. I can't express enough how important I think it is for our fanbase to embrace this podcast.

If he's going to keep sprouting how great GA was for our Club, then I'm not interested in listening to the next instalment...GA was only great for GA....no one else......you can fool some of the people some of the time...but you can't fool all the people all of the time...

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Look slag off Ablett all you want. But he provided some of the best live football I have ever or will ever see.

Because he left under a cloud (the family circumstances aside) you can't discredit his entire Sun's career and delete it all from existence. Whether people like it or not he was great for the game on the GC getting people through the turnstiles.

Should he be the name of the MVP? I would prefer David Swallow but could understand it being him.

It was a good listen and I will go back for sure, I don't think the Ablett talk will be too much through out the season, it's just because we are playing the cats this weekend.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
* me with the GAJ talk. Everyone wants the B&F to be named after GAJ! Made my ears bleed.

I'd prefer IVA Bigun and Mr Bods shoot from the hip.

This Tobin bloke is already claiming him and GAJ have set the foundations for a winning culture. Boswell should have worded up Rishca and Nicholls.

Bit more Suns insider talk.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If he's going to keep sprouting how great GA was for our Club, then I'm not interested in listening to the next instalment...GA was only great for GA....no one else......you can fool some of the people some of the time...but you can't fool all the people all of the time...
It was obviously a talking point this week because GAJ is likely to play his last ever game at Metricon on Saturday. They had a run sheet and probably dedicated 10 minutes to that subject alone. I'm certain you won't hear anywhere near as much talk about Ablett going forward unless they are trying to give historical context over what happened in the past.

Give these guys a chance to do this properly with interaction from the fans and then we can judge.

Last edited:

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It was obviously a talking point this week because GAJ is likely to play his last ever game at Metricon on Saturday. They had a run sheet and probably dedicated 10 minutes to that subject alone. I'm certain you won't hear anywhere near as much talk about Ablett going forward unless they are trying to give historical context over what happened in the past.

Give these guys a chance to do this properly with interaction from the fans and then we can judge.
I will definitely listen again but this one-sided my buddy Champion trophy deserving Ablett crap did not do them any favour. They lost a lot of credibility in my eyes.

If Tom had any guts he could ask questions like:

'Was Ablett a good captain?
Still remember when McKenna confirmed that there are 2 set of rules - one for the captain and one for the rest of the team.

'Does Ablett take any responsibility as a captain for the culture developed early?'
Yep, I am talking e.g. about golf off-season turnament when 12 players were taking drugs.

How about 'It's all about playing finals' Ablett's answer in interviews why he left.

Champion trophy named after Ablett - give me a break.

Last edited:

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Look slag off Ablett all you want. But he provided some of the best live football I have ever or will ever see.

Because he left under a cloud (the family circumstances aside) you can't discredit his entire Sun's career and delete it all from existence. Whether people like it or not he was great for the game on the GC getting people through the turnstiles.

Should he be the name of the MVP? I would prefer David Swallow but could understand it being him.

It was a good listen and I will go back for sure, I don't think the Ablett talk will be too much through out the season, it's just because we are playing the cats this weekend.
That's a pretty balanced reply. The B&F should not be named after Gaz. He's too polarizing, but he did provide plenty of highlights in 100+ games for the Suns. Some of his goals were incredible & I was on my feet, fist in the air & cheering him on. The B&F should be named after someone who displays more than just footy skills. It is more about loyalty & team-first qualities. Ablett's not that person. There's no hurry to name it. Maybe a name won't be attached for another 30 years. What's the rush? Wait for the right person. I agree Swallow is in front at the moment, but let's wait.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
That's a pretty balanced reply. The B&F should not be named after Gaz. He's too polarizing, but he did provide plenty of highlights in 100+ games for the Suns. Some of his goals were incredible & I was on my feet, fist in the air & cheering him on. The B&F should be named after someone who displays more than just footy skills. It is more about loyalty & team-first qualities. Ablett's not that person. There's no hurry to name it. Maybe a name won't be attached for another 30 years. What's the rush? Wait for the right person. I agree Swallow is in front at the moment, but let's wait.
So does it get named after Rowell, Rankine, Anderson or King?

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I'd be surprised to learn if a single Suns fan would support the idea of our Club Champ award to go to GAJ.

I'm all aboard it to be Swallow. Or even Harbrow given his influence on the community as a Sun, both indigenous and non. I'd have Gaz a fair way down the list.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
I'd be surprised to learn if a single Suns fan would support the idea of our Club Champ award to go to GAJ.

I'm all aboard it to be Swallow. Or even Harbrow given his influence on the community as a Sun, both indigenous and non. I'd have Gaz a fair way down the list.
I'd definitely be down for having Harbrow as the name for the community award going forward.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I would like the exclusive insight from tobin who was behind the scenes of the rise of 2014 heading up and then the crashing down when McKenna sacked at the end of the season and slippery slide back down the ladder in 2015

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I would like the exclusive insight from tobin who was behind the scenes of the rise of 2014 heading up and then the crashing down when McKenna sacked at the end of the season and slippery slide back down the ladder in 2015
Are you going to tweet him and ask him to give us that insight for next week's edition of the podcast?

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Like to hear about Gazza's triumphant return to Metricon on this week's podcast, and how he inspired his teammates at the Cats to give a big effort to show how much he meant to them.

Maybe they could just talk us through each of his possessions so it should only take a few seconds.

Back