The Heavy Metal Law!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh yeah, no argument here. Bands that are past it are more likely to come here, no doubt. I have worked with the occasional promoter who has a bit more balls, and not only does it for themselves, but what is right for the scene. Some of the support slots that some bands get is ******* ridiculous. Now I am not complaining, we have been lucky enough over the years to get the supports for Toxic Holocaust, Krisiun, Dismember, Impiety/Goatwhore, Sinister, Undergang and maybe one or two I have missed. They are few and far between, but we have had our share for the less mainstream gigs. These promoters have put us on because it is appropriate, not due to arse licking. Some promoters just work in their own circle jerk,and too many flavour of the month and inappropriate bands getting support slots.

I know its not really classed as metal, but is there any Karnivool fans out there?

Saw their show @ the corner last week. They really are a sensational band.

Sound Awake rivals Lateralus as an album IMO

Anyone listening to anything brutal before tonight's massive game? I've got new Cattle Decapitation, Fear Factory and Psycroptic on rotation

Just got back from a massive gig for us in the states. Back in time to get annoyed by the Hawks. Back to the metal, it never disappoints, as long as I am selecting the metal.

Bout time this thread got a kick.

Have thrashed the new Slayer album recently. Very old school Slayer. Nothing especially new, but for those of us who grew up with Reign in Blood/South of Heaven on constant rotation, it does not disappoint.

Getting rather excited about Baroness's upcoming album Purple as well. The making of clips on YouTube are highly entertaining and it's sounding awesome, in my opinion.

Good one Woodside Hawk. this thread has been up and running for 8 years, I think it's time they locked it up the top.

I left Slayer a long time ago, but the old heart beats true....

I saw The Haunting Presence when we were in the States, and I recommend them highly. Dark, but good old school death metal, but clearly a black metal leaning. Great Riffs. One of the highlights of the fest.

AngelCorpse have reformed, and I got to see Perditon Temple (featuring Gene from AngleCorpse) at the fest also, ******* killer.

Nunslaughter album Angelic Dread is as you'd expect from them, and was majorly s**t that Jim (drummer) died just a couple of weeks after we left the USA. Was killer hanging with him in Cleveland, he really spent some good time with us, being a tourist guide.

95 percent of you probably have barely an idea what I am talking about, but anyway, those that do, top s**t.

I might have to put some killer stuff up for those who don't know some of the classic, more intense stuff.

Bout time this thread got a kick.

Have thrashed the new Slayer album recently. Very old school Slayer. Nothing especially new, but for those of us who grew up with Reign in Blood/South of Heaven on constant rotation, it does not disappoint.

Getting rather excited about Baroness's upcoming album Purple as well. The making of clips on YouTube are highly entertaining and it's sounding awesome, in my opinion.
Haven't listened to much of the new Baroness clips, and they lost me a little with their softer edge of the yellow/green album. Have seen them a bunch of times, and they really are a great band live, with John a ripping bloke willing to shake hands and chat with anyone( I think the near death experience keeps him pretty humble if he wasn't already).
Am a massive fan of Baizley's art though, and already have 4 of his limited prints, so will most likely grab one of the new album cover once it's released, as a bit of an investment ( every one I have bought is now worth twice as much).

A couple of recent releases people should check out. Not sure if you'd actually label either of them strictly 'metal', but they certainly reside in the progressive and heavy music realm.

Check out: Earthside, and their debut album 'A Dream in Static': https://earthside.bandcamp.com/

Stunning, epic cinematic progressive rock and metal. With some unbelievable guest vocalists, including Speed from Soilwork, Lajon from Sevendust and Daniel from Tesseract.

And Brisbane's Caligula's Horse, and their third album 'Bloom':

This will be the next Aussie band to break out of Australia and make waves overseas. Count on it.

Haven't listened to much of the new Baroness clips, and they lost me a little with their softer edge of the yellow/green album. Have seen them a bunch of times, and they really are a great band live, with John a ripping bloke willing to shake hands and chat with anyone( I think the near death experience keeps him pretty humble if he wasn't already).
Am a massive fan of Baizley's art though, and already have 4 of his limited prints, so will most likely grab one of the new album cover once it's released, as a bit of an investment ( every one I have bought is now worth twice as much).

Totally get where you're coming from with Yellow/Green. Think they tried to come up with a better balance between light/shade and got it a bit wrong. Was def a bit too mellow.

From the YouTube stuff it appears they've gotten the balance right on the new one. John's still singing, rather than shouting, for the most part, but the overall vibe is much heavier than a lot of Yellow/Green. I think the new guys are bringing a lot to the table this time around as well.

That said, I seriously doubt there's another Blue Record in them. They've moved on...be interesting to see where it lands.

I just don't get Caligula's horse. I mean I don't understand its popularity. I saw their previous band Quandary and whilst it was raw, it epitomised progressive rock/metal. The bassist for Caligula's Horse is a once in a generation vocalist and they've got him doing the occasional backup. I saw them open for Opeth and the crowd wasn't really interested until they catch a glimpse of the back up vocals. Everyone was looking up thinking where did that come from.

The Guitarist is elite but doesn't play anywhere near his boundaries which is a shame. I guess I'm disappointed because I felt they would have become the next Dream Theatre. Now their nothing more than a popular rock band.

On the other hand Opeth, who I saw for the 3rd time was simply amazing.

I just don't get Caligula's horse. I mean I don't understand its popularity. I saw their previous band Quandary and whilst it was raw, it epitomised progressive rock/metal. The bassist for Caligula's Horse is a once in a generation vocalist and they've got him doing the occasional backup. I saw them open for Opeth and the crowd wasn't really interested until they catch a glimpse of the back up vocals. Everyone was looking up thinking where did that come from.

The Guitarist is elite but doesn't play anywhere near his boundaries which is a shame. I guess I'm disappointed because I felt they would have become the next Dream Theatre. Now their nothing more than a popular rock band.

On the other hand Opeth, who I saw for the 3rd time was simply amazing.
You've answered your own question there, it comes out in the language you use. You're looking for something C-Horse are simply not, a band of individuals. You are looking for a great vocalist, a great bassist, a great guitarist. With a band like C-Horse, they can certainly play, but it's far more about the cohesiveness and beauty of the songs, not what the individuals can do.

But of course, music is arguably the most subjective thing on the planet, if you're not into it, you're not into it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your right it is very subjective and my purpose wasn't to slander the band. I think it's great that a band from my town looks likely to make it on the big stage, but knowing their history from the Quandary days, it's personally a bit frustrating that a band looked so good (in my opinion) is now a shadow of its former self.

Sort of like a footy player having a cracking first season and then mediocre for the rest of their career. You know what they are capable of but they don't show it.

It's pretty much the same band minus the keys player and I doubt he would have had much influence on the music. Maybe he did. Who knows.

I can only disagree, I think they are amazing, and get better with every record, and are the next Aussie progressive/alternative rock act to break out of Australia.

On a completely different note - the new Baroness album is freakin' awesome.

The new rhythm section are guns and bring a new intensity to the performances, and the songs are clearly strongly influenced by their big bus crash a few years ago, but in a really positive way.

Check it out if you get the chance. It's not quite as heavy as Blue, but it's a true return to form nonetheless.

Been digging this album for two years, UK band Xerath. Dense, brutal but melodic tech-ish metal meets massive, grandiose movie soundtrack. Awesome.

Apparently he's not indestructible.

:-(

The Motorhead facebook states he found out on the 26th of December that he had a very aggressive cancer.

Probably best to go fast rather than have cancer kill you over a longer period. TBH I thought he'd have a heart attack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back