The Heavy Metal Law!!

Rhayader

Club Legend
Nov 3, 2009
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I haven’t listened to Opeth for sometime. I lost track of them when they went full clean prog.
Yeah I thought I was going to do that too, but I ended up really like those later albums now, especially Pale Communion and ICV. I'm even starting to come around to Heritage.

Back to The Drapery Falls, that change into the "spiraling to the ground below.." section is :fire:

rjslcM

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2008
Glen Waverly
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Australia, Roger Federer.
Woah, thank you. I am blown away by how easily the composer in the video can hear their sounds and translate them onto the piano. I am also blown away by how easily he can understand what they're doing as musicians via their selection of notes. His music IQ is ridiculous.

I can really see how listening to metal is intellectually very stimulating now, particularly to those with a much firmer grasp on music theory than me.

The song itself was enjoyable too, really good to listen to and appreciate all of the different elements through his lens, such complexity! In terms of vocals, I think I'm finding that I don't mind growling in songs for the effect, so long as the entire song's lyrics aren't growling - but that's just me.

Its visible with how impressed he is that Opeth's notes in the song don't exist within the same key from 3:44 to 4:30 and then later on in the video too. I don't know enough about music theory, but it really seems like he is highlighting how creative Opeth were when making this song to ensure the song brought about a particular emotion. Guess thats what all composers do, but its crazy to me! Thank you for sharing this!

Apr 19, 2006
The local Satanist Cabal
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Storm, Spurs, Socceroos
Woah, thank you. I am blown away by how easily the composer in the video can hear their sounds and translate them onto the piano. I am also blown away by how easily he can understand what they're doing as musicians via their selection of notes. His music IQ is ridiculous.

I can really see how listening to metal is intellectually very stimulating now, particularly to those with a much firmer grasp on music theory than me.

The song itself was enjoyable too, really good to listen to and appreciate all of the different elements through his lens, such complexity! In terms of vocals, I think I'm finding that I don't mind growling in songs for the effect, so long as the entire song's lyrics aren't growling - but that's just me.

Its visible with how impressed he is that Opeth's notes in the song don't exist within the same key from 3:44 to 4:30 and then later on in the video too. I don't know enough about music theory, but it really seems like he is highlighting how creative Opeth were when making this song to ensure the song brought about a particular emotion. Guess thats what all composers do, but its crazy to me! Thank you for sharing this!
There’s all sorts of subtleties within different genres of music.

For many the gruff angry element of metal is what resonates, for others it’s the musicianship and how the music translates to them on an emotional level. Lots to consider.

Another example to watch...although her facial expressions are over the top...

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Can you tell me more about why people are drawn to heavy metal?

I appreciate the talents and hard work that goes in to music. I don't play the guitar well and I know how long it has taken me to be able to play it poorly, therefore when I see or hear someone play an amazing guitar riff, I am in awe. However, I still can't get around *most* heavy metal.

"In the taxonomy of popular music, heavy metal is a major subspecies of hard-rock—the breed with less syncopation, less blues, more showmanship and more brute force ". Contrary to your statement, perhaps acts of showmanship and brute force as seen in heavy metal are not qualities that people want to support, consciously or subconsciously.

Would you care to help me understand the draw to heavy metal more? While I don't think I'll be a convert any time soon, I am only looking to understand its allure so that I can respect it more fully.
Someone just reminded me of this. This should give you an idea of the sheer depth of musicality that goes into the composition of metal music.

Judd2Sewell

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Mick Gordon (the one true GOAT) produced the DOOM soundtrack for 2016 and DOOM Eternal (for for most part - not including the DLC's). Some of the stuff is incredible, heavy, atmospheric and it's all extremely creative. Such epic soundtracks.

He's a Melbournian too.

This is an amazing piece he did for the 2016 game. Very experimental.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad