The Heavy Metal Law!!

Remove this Banner Ad

New TesseracT album is absolutely mesmerisingly good.

Also, and for something completely different, check out Johnny Booth's album - post hardcore, punk, with some Mars Volta-style avant garde chaos thrown in, and one of the most explosive albums I've heard in a long time.

This is only metal adjacent, but a good slab of the catalogue of John Zorn's Tzadik label is on various streaming platforms for the first time. Includes releases from metal bands such as Cleric and the first Kayo Dot album, and also stuff with members of Mr Bungle, Secret Chiefs 3, Imperial Triumphant (and heaps of great jazz players, if that's your thing)

Not much Naked City on there yet that I can see, but hopefully more stuff will start appearing soon.

This offers a good look into the heavier end of the Zorn wormhole:

Last edited:
This is only metal adjacent, but a good slab of the catalogue of John Zorn's Tzadik label is on various streaming platforms for the first time. Includes releases from metal bands such as Cleric and the first Kayo Dot album, and also stuff with members of Mr Bungle, Secret Chiefs 3, Imperial Triumphant (and heaps of great jazz players, if that's your thing)

Not much Naked City on there yet that I can see, but hopefully more stuff will start appearing soon.

This offers a good look into the heavier end of the Zorn wormhole:

Gee been a while since I’ve heard his name. Gonna put on Painkiller’s ‘Guts of a Virgin’.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nightfall is an incredible album.
I saw Pungent Stench in the early 2000s. Good fun

Yeah ripping album. Mirror Mirror and the title track for me. This will be my 3rd time for PS - missed 93 as was underage. Seen them twice here and once at MDF.

PetroDragonic Apocalypse, I am enjoying this.

Hope it's better than Murder of the Universe. Or Infest The Rats Nest.

Nonagon Infinity was a great album. I don't think that they've reached those heights since. Fishing For Fishes is cute though.

Infest The Rats Nest.
I think* it is similar to this, although I wouldn't know, I've only listened to a couple other tracks of theirs.
Got told listen to Gila Monster, wasn't expecting the riffage, going back for more of the whole album now.
Still trying to work out if I'm partial to them based on the name...my band name idea was 'Lyzyrd Gyzyrd' but I never had a band lol

*Justin Hawkins and Anthony Fantano vids mentioned this as comparison

I think* it is similar to this, although I wouldn't know, I've only listened to a couple other tracks of theirs.
Got told listen to Gila Monster, wasn't expecting the riffage, going back for more of the whole album now.
Still trying to work out if I'm partial to them based on the name...my band name idea was 'Lyzyrd Gyzyrd' but I never had a band lol

*Justin Hawkins and Anthony Fantano vids mentioned this as comparison
I have a few DJ mates who do Sunday sessions at my city local. One of them had a T-shirt with the caption Lizard lizard and the lizard lizard.

So, naturally, we hit it off.

They can be quite uneven but the reason they are pumping so much music out is the lead singer has Crohn's disease and time is short for them.

There is a lot of stuff. It's just a case of wading through a heap of it.

Next year is looking good for live shows.

Got tickets to Blind Guardian, Obituary and Carcass, might grab for Caligula’s Horse in April too.

Also, not metal, but I’m looking forward to seeing The Necks.

Think I’ll pass on Maiden, and Mr Bungle/Melvins tickets are insanely priced (IMO) so will skip them (I think I’m away then anyway).

Hopefully I’ll catch Alarum next time they play, missed the last one. Mournful Congregation are playing Oz shows next year but no Melb date announced that I can see.

Anything else of note coming up? I find it hard to keep track of upcoming gigs, I usually only find out when bands I follow on socials post about tours.

Next year is looking good for live shows.

Got tickets to Blind Guardian, Obituary and Carcass, might grab for Caligula’s Horse in April too.

Also, not metal, but I’m looking forward to seeing The Necks.

Think I’ll pass on Maiden, and Mr Bungle/Melvins tickets are insanely priced (IMO) so will skip them (I think I’m away then anyway).

Hopefully I’ll catch Alarum next time they play, missed the last one. Mournful Congregation are playing Oz shows next year but no Melb date announced that I can see.

Anything else of note coming up? I find it hard to keep track of upcoming gigs, I usually only find out when bands I follow on socials post about tours.

Mortiferum tour in Jan. Great bill and great price.

Probably late to the party but just saw Blind Guardian are doing a show in Melbourne next year if anyone's into Power metal. They are pretty cheesy but they're fun to listen to.

I saw them the last time they were in Melbourne yonks ago and they were awesome. Don't think I'll be able to get to see them this time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back