The Heavy Metal Law!!

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of good bands in amongst mostly rubbish.

How the **** Korn and Limp Bizkit are seen as headline acts in 2018, I do not know.

I'd check out Arch Enemy if Angela Gossow was still in the band :) I see Jeff Loomis is playing guitar for them... I'm sure the guy is not from this planet !

I saw Bruce Dickinson doing his book-promo talk-gig-thing at the Palais last week. Bloody awesome. Paid $109 for the experience and it's all over youtube now.

Off to see the Scorpions in a couple of weeks. Def Leppard playing also. Missed the Scorps two years ago and found out two weeks after the event that they'd been in Melbourne. Spewing then but rapt now ! If only Doro Pesch would drop by again :)

Update.... per their Facebook page, the Scorpions cancelled their appearance at 3pm on the day of the gig. We got to Rod Laver at 7pm... no announcements or signs were up telling anyone of their cancellation. Merchandise available... pleased I fit into a size L :) Anyway we take our seats and Dallas Crane take the stage. Around 4-5 songs in I wonder what the heck is going on because time allotted for the Scorpions is running short. Dallas Crane soon leave the stage and a swarm of stage hands transform the place. The logo on the drum kit clearly says Def Leppard ! The good lady goes off to find a staff member who advises the Scorpions aren't playing :( Klaus has apparently lost his voice. I see they also cancelled their Sydney show last Saturday.

I feel no animosity to the band of course, but the promoters need a foot up the backside. Although Def Leppard were pretty darn good, I can't justify the $366 for two tickets. The promoters generic e-mail (no doubt to hundreds of disgruntled Scorps fans) said 'no refunds' because the main act played and the Scorpions were just the support act. Advertised on tickets as 'very special guests' and with over 110 million album sales, 'support act' is an insult to the band and their fans. Anyway, misleading information by silence is an offence under Australian Consumer Law, so watch this space :)

Update.... per their Facebook page, the Scorpions cancelled their appearance at 3pm on the day of the gig. We got to Rod Laver at 7pm... no announcements or signs were up telling anyone of their cancellation. Merchandise available... pleased I fit into a size L :) Anyway we take our seats and Dallas Crane take the stage. Around 4-5 songs in I wonder what the heck is going on because time allotted for the Scorpions is running short. Dallas Crane soon leave the stage and a swarm of stage hands transform the place. The logo on the drum kit clearly says Def Leppard ! The good lady goes off to find a staff member who advises the Scorpions aren't playing :( Klaus has apparently lost his voice. I see they also cancelled their Sydney show last Saturday.

I feel no animosity to the band of course, but the promoters need a foot up the backside. Although Def Leppard were pretty darn good, I can't justify the $366 for two tickets. The promoters generic e-mail (no doubt to hundreds of disgruntled Scorps fans) said 'no refunds' because the main act played and the Scorpions were just the support act. Advertised on tickets as 'very special guests' and with over 110 million album sales, 'support act' is an insult to the band and their fans. Anyway, misleading information by silence is an offence under Australian Consumer Law, so watch this space :)
I remember going to a gig one night, as we walked in they told us the band wasn't playing and we could get a refund, we wanted to see the support acts so we stuck around. This was probably a $40 gig though and a local band.

Found out afterwards the lead singer had fallen down the stairs at the venue and ended up in a coma. When he came out he couldn't remember recording their new album and had to learn all the songs again.

Did anyone go to Download?

I did, and I loved it.
Was too crook to go. Missed out.

Heard that Priest and Slayer put on a good show.

Was somewhat happy to hear that Converge’s sound wasn’t great....only because it meant I didn’t miss it.

Was too crook to go. Missed out.

Heard that Priest and Slayer put on a good show.

Was somewhat happy to hear that Converge’s sound wasn’t great....only because it meant I didn’t miss it.
Behemoth weren't great
Anthrax were really really good but a 7 song set wasn't enough
Amity Affliction and Polaris are everything that's wrong with metal.
Pennywise can still smash it out
Alien Weaponry are really cool for an up and coming band.
Thy Art is Murder were really really good
Judas Priest seemed good but I took a break and watched from a distance
There was a Melbourne band called Outright. Singer was okay, but the band overall was really good.

Slayer were the best I've ever seen them, but I left after 30 mins to go and see Ghost which was well worth it. Ghost have something rare and awesome, even though they're nowhere near as heavy.

Behemoth not suited to a big outside venue at 2.30pm. Pity they didn't play a club show. Judas Priest and Slayer two of my favourite bands. Both delivered but Slayer took the honours. Off to NZ in morning for Slayer on Friday and Judas Priest on Saturday. Standalone indoor shows - think it will be awesome.

Reads exactly like my post on this debacle. Absolute disgrace the way this was handled. If I got to the venue and was told they had cancelled, I would have taken it on the chin and gone straight home. The complete disregard for people's time is what pissed me off. UFC apparently had signs everywhere the other week advising that the main event had been cancelled etc - not hard to arrange. Not hard to make an annoucement over the PA either. Hope the promoters get in a fair bit of trouble for their stunt. Imagine the windfall they got off it - don't need to pay Scoprions, pay Dallas Crane * all and don't refund anyone. campaigners.

I'd heard of the cancellation on radio on the way in and despite some disappointment I was there for Def Leppard in the main and enjoyed their show. Headed straight for the bar and caught up with a mate instead of watching the support act.

As for value and ticket prices, I've just spent $520 for 2 tickets for Metallica in October. My son will be 18 about a month beforehand and it'll be his first gig and I'm pumped to do something like this with him. He doesn't mind Metallica but appreciates the chance to get along to something like this.

A little bummed it's at Marvel though.

Download was great. As others have said, Priest and Slayer the standouts, and Anthrax were great as usual. Alien Weaponry are like a NZ version of Roots era Sepultura at times - really enjoyed what I saw of their set.

Slaves were seriously impressive and a lot of fun. 2 piece with more attitude and energy than most bands, and a very unique drumming style.

Frenzal Rhomb were, well, Frenzal Rhomb. Opened with Crazy Train and took the piss for the next hour. Great fun.

Fever 333 had huge energy and sounded sorta like Rage Against The Machine, despite being only drums, guitar and vocals.

But it Slayer’s day for me. I couldn’t believe how tight they were. I saw them at Soundwave a few years back and they were great, but it seemed to have gone up a notch for this tour (more settled line up recently, I guess). Hard to believe they’re finishing up but they’re definitely going out on top.

Metallica tickets are ridiculously expensive.... but I just shelled out $520 for 2 as well!

I noticed the $3,500 tickets have sold out here in Adelaide already!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd heard of the cancellation on radio on the way in and despite some disappointment I was there for Def Leppard in the main and enjoyed their show. Headed straight for the bar and caught up with a mate instead of watching the support act.

As for value and ticket prices, I've just spent $520 for 2 tickets for Metallica in October. My son will be 18 about a month beforehand and it'll be his first gig and I'm pumped to do something like this with him. He doesn't mind Metallica but appreciates the chance to get along to something like this.

A little bummed it's at Marvel though.
I wish Slipknot were just doing their own more reasonably priced show. I'd go to that, Metallica lost me years ago, they used to be great

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny you say that. I tend to agree but my 21 year old nephew reckoned Polaris were the pick of the bunch.

Ah, kids these days.

Polaris do some weird stuff. They have a high energy singer who's really not bad. (Could be better, is bit limited) but then they let this other tosser who sounds like the singer of Sum41 do all the chorus and bridging work. It's s**t house.

It’s not bad, but I find it hard to listen to because of the way it sounds (which is an artistic choice, not a money/incompetence thing it would seem)

100% agree. I hate the production and find it damn near impossible to listen to as a result. Digital clipping does not make for a pleasant listening experience.

It’s not bad, but I find it hard to listen to because of the way it sounds (which is an artistic choice, not a money/incompetence thing it would seem)
Didn't bother me as background music, didn't notice anything weird, will give it another spin at some point soon and see if I get what you mean

Remove this Banner Ad

Back