The Heavy Metal Law!!

Remove this Banner Ad

100% genuine post & cry for help...

Music went into a shitty coma after 1994*. There’s been fleeting signs of life since & I’ve loved some stuff into early 2000’s, but can’t find the same meaning any more. In later years I’ve turned to hard(er) core rap to find any angst & emotion in music - it’s just not the same...

I loved:
Metallica, Pantera, Sepultura, Machine Head, Fear Factory, Allegiance,
Tool, Slipknot, Slayer, Gilgamesh, Nine Inch Nails, L7,
Pennywise, Blink182, Bad Religion, The Offspring, Frenzal Rhomb,
Nirvana, Mudhoney, Hole, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Sound Garden, Pearl Jam (hate now, of course), Smashing Pumpkins, The Tea Party,
Silverchair, You am I,

What’s worth listening to now?
Is there anything that draws you in like AiC, Nirvana, STP or Sound Garden? Where you can lose a day just wallowing?

Or anything with the energy of old school Pennywise or Bad Religion or Offspring?

I can’t even bring myself to try the new stuff. I’m not against it - I just find it meaningless & would love some recommendations...

Yours,

Unfulfilled musically in Perth...

*undoubtedly the best year of musical album releases of all time... o’ all time...

Music went into a s**tty coma after 1994*. There’s been fleeting signs of life since & I’ve loved some stuff into early 2000’s, but can’t find the same meaning any more. In later years I’ve turned to hard(er) core rap to find any angst & emotion in music - it’s just not the same...

I loved:
Nirvana, Mudhoney, Hole, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Sound Garden, Pearl Jam (hate now, of course), Smashing Pumpkins, The Tea Party,
Silverchair, You am I,

Is there anything that draws you in like AiC, Nirvana, STP or Sound Garden? Where you can lose a day just wallowing?

Or anything with the energy of old school Pennywise or Bad Religion or Offspring?

I can’t even bring myself to try the new stuff. I’m not against it - I just find it meaningless & would love some recommendations...

Yours,

*undoubtedly the best year of musical album releases of all time... o’ all time...
This was a pretty cool album....they are due to get another album out soon.

Wait for the drum roll at least.. it’s gold

Music went into a s**tty coma after 1994*. There’s been fleeting signs of life since & I’ve loved some stuff into early 2000’s, but can’t find the same meaning any more. In later years I’ve turned to hard(er) core rap to find any angst & emotion in music - it’s just not the same...

I loved:
Silverchair, You am I,

Yours,

Your list of bands is pretty damn similar to what I grew up loving.

Check out The Dead Eye by The Haunted. If you like that you can then go towards their more thrashy stuff (Revolver, The Haunted Made Me Do It, Exit Wounds.) or their Tool ripoff stuff (Versus/Unseen, which I didn't like as much but some people get really attached to it.)

Stone Sour is Corey from Slipknot's side gig with clean vocal and acoustic guitars. You can get lost in some of their tracks.

I loved:
Silverchair, You am I,

Yours,

Not really sure where to start, but here is some post 90s/newer stuff you *might* enjoy

Soen - try Lotus, it’s great
Isis (yes, but they predate the terrorists) - Panopticon
Anathema - Alternative 4
Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets, or maybe Good Apollo I’m Burning
Converge - people really rate these guys, I’m not a huge fan but you might like them
Opeth - maybe start with Blackwater Park or Deliverance ?
Meshuggah - try anything, you’ll either love it or hate it I think
Helmet - did you listen to them back in the day? Meantime and Betty still stack up
In Flames - they have so many iffy albums, but you might like Colony, or Whoracle?
Kyuss - anything is good
The Mars Volta - bit weird but Deloused in the Comatorium is still pretty cool
Mastodon - again I’m not a big fan but you might like them
Protest the Hero - Kezia (you may not like the vocals but the music is 😳)
System of a Down - you might like this maybe? Start with Toxicity and work forward
Therapy? - not new but Troublegum is a killer album

You may like none of this stuff haha, but it’s just some guessed suggestions off the top of my head. I steered clear of the really heavy/noisy stuff.

I wish I could hear some if this stuff for the first time again. Enjoy!

Hey Brant, I was in a pretty similar place till I got onto Spotify. I found the Discover Weekly playlists they sent me a lifesaver.

There’s some crap that comes your way, but you’ll find some gems along the way as well.

For me, I love stuff like Dropkick Murphy’s and CJ Ramone, neither of which are ‘new’ but have some great fun tunes and some depth as well.

On the slightly Blink 182-style front, there’s a great fun band from the States called Masked Intruder that I think are hilarious and cool. Check out ‘I got a knife’ and ‘No case’ from those guys.

The Interrupters are basically Rancid with a female lead singer and one of the few bands I can play at home that my whole family likes.

Power Trip are a kick ass thrash band from Texas (I think?) who clearly grew up on Metallica & Slayer. Check out ‘The Executioners Tax’.

If you’re after something different with emotional depth I highly recommend IDLES from the UK. These guys wear there hearts on their sleeves like almost no one else, singing about everything from Brexit and Immigration to the lead singer’s stillborn daughter. Unlike the 90’s acts they address their subject matter directly and head on, rather than through metaphors. They’re post punk, heavy but not metal and they kick ass.

Slaves are a two piece punk act from the UK that I saw at Download and they were amazing. Check out “Cheer Up London” or “The Hunter”.

Halestorm are a good ol’ fashioned hard rock band, named after David Hale (well, probably more likely named after the brother/sister combo that formed the band, Lizzy Hale on Vox and Arejay Hale on Drums). Check out ‘Uncomfortable’ - this girl can seriously sing and the band go hard as well.

Charger are a new band from the bass player from Rancid. They’re part Motörhead and part straight ahead punk, definitely worth a listen- check out ‘Victim’.

Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats are a low-fi, Sabbath inspired bit of 70’s style doom. Check out their ‘Blood Lust’ album.

Check out ‘Thrill of the kill’ by Early Man. Don’t know anything about them, but I like it.

English band The Hell are heavy as hell, with a very modern sound, but funny as f@&k too. Check out “I’ve got loads of money” or “Everybody Dies”. Heaps of fun.

There’s heaps more mate, there’s plenty out there, although I don’t know that there’s any true successors to the greats of the 90’s - that era is gone. But there’s still lotsa fun to be had, you’ve just gotta find a way to find it, and Spotify is exactly that for me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oh, and the more mainstream stuff - Red Fang, The Sword, Baroness, Prophets of Rage are all worth a listen if you haven’t checked them out, and Pissed Jeans are a strange, gnarly, Nirvana at their loosest style punk band that I reckon are great. Check out ‘False Jesii Part 2’ or ‘The Bar is Low’.

Good luck!

Not really sure where to start, but here is some post 90s/newer stuff you *might* enjoy

Soen - try Lotus, it’s great
Isis (yes, but they predate the terrorists) - Panopticon
Anathema - Alternative 4
Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets, or maybe Good Apollo I’m Burning
Converge - people really rate these guys, I’m not a huge fan but you might like them
Opeth - maybe start with Blackwater Park or Deliverance ?
Meshuggah - try anything, you’ll either love it or hate it I think
Helmet - did you listen to them back in the day? Meantime and Betty still stack up
In Flames - they have so many iffy albums, but you might like Colony, or Whoracle?
Kyuss - anything is good
The Mars Volta - bit weird but Deloused in the Comatorium is still pretty cool
Mastodon - again I’m not a big fan but you might like them
Protest the Hero - Kezia (you may not like the vocals but the music is 😳)
System of a Down - you might like this maybe? Start with Toxicity and work forward
Therapy? - not new but Troublegum is a killer album

You may like none of this stuff haha, but it’s just some guessed suggestions off the top of my head. I steered clear of the really heavy/noisy stuff.

I wish I could hear some if this stuff for the first time again. Enjoy!
Helmet were/are awesome! Betty was such a good album!!!

Hey Brant, I was in a pretty similar place till I got onto Spotify. I found the Discover Weekly playlists they sent me a lifesaver.

There’s some crap that comes your way, but you’ll find some gems along the way as well.

For me, I love stuff like Dropkick Murphy’s and CJ Ramone, neither of which are ‘new’ but have some great fun tunes and some depth as well.

On the slightly Blink 182-style front, there’s a great fun band from the States called Masked Intruder that I think are hilarious and cool. Check out ‘I got a knife’ and ‘No case’ from those guys.

The Interrupters are basically Rancid with a female lead singer and one of the few bands I can play at home that my whole family likes.

Power Trip are a kick ass thrash band from Texas (I think?) who clearly grew up on Metallica & Slayer. Check out ‘The Executioners Tax’.

If you’re after something different with emotional depth I highly recommend IDLES from the UK. These guys wear there hearts on their sleeves like almost no one else, singing about everything from Brexit and Immigration to the lead singer’s stillborn daughter. Unlike the 90’s acts they address their subject matter directly and head on, rather than through metaphors. They’re post punk, heavy but not metal and they kick ass.

Slaves are a two piece punk act from the UK that I saw at Download and they were amazing. Check out “Cheer Up London” or “The Hunter”.

Halestorm are a good ol’ fashioned hard rock band, named after David Hale (well, probably more likely named after the brother/sister combo that formed the band, Lizzy Hale on Vox and Arejay Hale on Drums). Check out ‘Uncomfortable’ - this girl can seriously sing and the band go hard as well.

Charger are a new band from the bass player from Rancid. They’re part Motörhead and part straight ahead punk, definitely worth a listen- check out ‘Victim’.

Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats are a low-fi, Sabbath inspired bit of 70’s style doom. Check out their ‘Blood Lust’ album.

Check out ‘Thrill of the kill’ by Early Man. Don’t know anything about them, but I like it.

English band The Hell are heavy as hell, with a very modern sound, but funny as f@&k too. Check out “I’ve got loads of money” or “Everybody Dies”. Heaps of fun.

There’s heaps more mate, there’s plenty out there, although I don’t know that there’s any true successors to the greats of the 90’s - that era is gone. But there’s still lotsa fun to be had, you’ve just gotta find a way to find it, and Spotify is exactly that for me.

Thanks heaps for that!

IDLES sound awesome - I’ll get onto them today. Same as The Hell & p***sed jeans!

I loved:
Silverchair, You am I,

Yours,

Similar to my 90's life as well. I've transitioned into listening to more technical and heavier stuff over the years.

I recently found a band via the youtube comments section of a faith no more song that people were raving about.....they're like a throwback to early AIC and Soundgarden. They are called Pregnant Whale Pain.

If you dig all that 90's stuff, surely you've heard Clutch? One of the greatest bands to ever roam this earth, IMO. Blast Tyrant, Jam Room and Robot Hives are classic albums I couldn't do without.

What about some Devin Townsend? He's pretty much written an album for everyone, whether it be ambient, rock, prog or metal.

My personal Aussie faves, The Mark of Cain?

Another aussie that I love listening to at the moment is a guitar virtuoso, Plini. Touring in October, too.

Rhayader has listed some great bands above also. I loved that Therapy got a mention. Definitely listen to Opeth if you haven't already.

Last but not least, I find these guys about 10 years ago(they have some good albums if you like Southern Rock/metal), and this song still gets me up....it's like Lynyrd Skynyrd meets Motley Crue.

Similar to my 90's life as well. I've transitioned into listening to more technical and heavier stuff over the years.

I recently found a band via the youtube comments section of a faith no more song that people were raving about.....they're like a throwback to early AIC and Soundgarden. They are called Pregnant Whale Pain.

If you dig all that 90's stuff, surely you've heard Clutch? One of the greatest bands to ever roam this earth, IMO. Blast Tyrant, Jam Room and Robot Hives are classic albums I couldn't do without.

What about some Devin Townsend? He's pretty much written an album for everyone, whether it be ambient, rock, prog or metal.

My personal Aussie faves, The Mark of Cain?

Another aussie that I love listening to at the moment is a guitar virtuoso, Plini. Touring in October, too.

Rhayader has listed some great bands above also. I loved that Therapy got a mention. Definitely listen to Opeth if you haven't already.

Last but not least, I find these guys about 10 years ago(they have some good albums if you like Southern Rock/metal), and this song still gets me up....it's like Lynyrd Skynyrd meets Motley Crue.

Thanks Abasi!

I’d forgotten about The Mark of Cain. Also, I left out Dinosaur Jnr, Tumbleweed & Spiderbait from the original list: all really cool & good fun. And of course, Faith No More are awesome.

I haven’t heard of Clutch, but will do by this afternoon!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Abasi!

I’d forgotten about The Mark of Cain. Also, I left out Dinosaur Jnr, Tumbleweed & Spiderbait from the original list: all really cool & good fun. And of course, Faith No More are awesome.

I haven’t heard of Clutch, but will do by this afternoon!
To add a few more
Perth band Karnivool
A Perfect Circle
Biffy Clyro
deafheaven
Ghost
Volbeat

To add a few more
Perth band Karnivool
A Perfect Circle
Biffy Clyro
deafheaven
Ghost
Volbeat
Yeh, Karnivool are cool & still going.
I went to school with Zoran & Brad from Gyroscope (both in my Bro’s year) & they’re cool dudes.
Even Jebediah, I still listen to.

A Perfect Circle, I know of but didn’t get into. The others there, I’ve not heard of.

I heard he other day that Machine Head are touring later this year: full original line-up!

Oh, sh*t. Don’t forget Ministry & White Zombie!

For real?
And unlike most on BigFooty - I’m happy to reveal my source.

Brad, a dude I went to school with - he reckons they’re touring. He’s ITK because he saw them in Hungary, back in the early 2000’s, when he was living in London.

I went to school with Zoran & Brad from Gyroscope (both in my Bro’s year) & they’re cool dudes.

A Perfect Circle, I know of but didn’t get into. The others there, I’ve not heard of.

I heard he other day that Machine Head are touring later this year: full original line-up!

Best thing really as others have mentioned onther than getting some recommendations is using YouTube or Spotify or any music streaming service and following the rabbit hole of similar bands/recommendations to music you do like

Also the four bands you haven't heard of are all quite different

I saw Plini here in Hong Kong a few months ago. Definitely worth a look and I enjoyed it, nice tasteful shreddery.

But he was overshadowed for me because I saw Polyphia around the same time and they were 🤯

I don't really enjoy their records tbh, but live they were killer

The latest Fu Manchu album ‘Clone of the Universe’ is a fantastic piece of stoner sludge, if you like that kinda thing. The last track ‘Il Mostro Atomico’ is probably the only 18 minute song I actually like!

Think it came out late last year. Well worth a listen, especially if you’ve enjoyed any of their previous stuff, or Kyuss style stoner rock.

Absolutely not new, but a lot of fun, is Camarosmith. Sabbath meets grunge meets good time rock’n’roll. Well worth a listen if any of that stuff rocks your boat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back