The Heavy Metal Law!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Strattonsphere

Senior List
Sep 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone getting into King Gizzard new album? Quality thrash from an unexpected source.

Also, Kublai Kahn and Knocked Loose's latest releases are heavy as hell.. for those that like a little hardcore

Crowbar in November? Think they are all December gigs.. I'm seeing them in Melb
Yeah, December.

I also heard recently that Kvelertak will be out next year.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Anyone getting into King Gizzard new album? Quality thrash from an unexpected source.

Also, Kublai Kahn and Knocked Loose's latest releases are heavy as hell.. for those that like a little hardcore

Knocked Loose are absolutely savage. Blowing up big time too.

Any metalcore fans at all who still get around some of the classic bands of the golden era? The Devil Wears Prada just released their strongest work in 13 years.
As I Lay Dying and Killswitch Engage released solid albums recently as well.

VERY excited to hear that Every Time I Die are close to recording a new record soon too. Their last album Low Teens was absolutely phenomenal.

Sep 18, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Haven't read the whole thread and all my favs already mentioned but what I could get through I didn't see a Aussie band mentioned - Sergression and their albums 05/05 and L.I.A

Another Aussie band Dream Killers - not super hard core but Aussie so thought I'd mention them.

Pungent Stemth...would have been mentioned....

So much music - could never listen to it all.

Download looks a little skint for my liking. Anyone heard of any Carcass sideshows? Would probably be the only thing that tempted me. Whist theres a definite interest in Baroness and In Flames, I reckon its pretty disappointing overall.

Still, the news of Maiden in May aint a bad thing.

Clutch and Plini are good gets.

Brant you’re up to date on Clutch yet?
Listened to some Clutch songs tonight.

I really like The Regulator, but found Electric Worry far too 'bluesy'. Wasn't huge on Son of Virginia either. A Quick Death in Texas & X-ray Visions... not for me.

I checked out Kind by Plini & immediately thought of Squeeze Me Macaroni by Mr. Bungle - but 90% less psycho. Then I thought of Cyco Miko from Suicidal Tendencies & had to listen to Institutionalised!!!!

Sorry... back to Plini... Salt + Charcoal was cool (For an instrumental?). KO KI sounded like lounge music from the world's best Hotel Lobby & by the time I finished Atlas, I was craving lyrics.

Refused... intriguing! Rev001 was pretty cool & I enjoyed Rather be Dead. Then YouTube reminded me to listen to Wasting Away from Nail Bomb - so I did! Thanks YouTube - at least you get me!

I checked out The Haunted as suggested by Leather Poisoning I really liked their The Dead Eye album!

Another LP recommendation was Stone Sour, of which I really liked Fabuless & Absolute Zero.

From Rhayader I liked Lotus from Soen. Actually, liked a few of their songs. Converge were ok. Same, didn't love them but not bad. Opeth, about the same - not bad & could grow to like them. Meshuggah = badass!

Came across Twelve Foot Ninja - will have a look at their stuff as I liked One Hand Killing.

More to follow...

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Listened to some Clutch songs tonight.

I really like The Regulator, but found Electric Worry far too 'bluesy'. Wasn't huge on Son of Virginia either. A Quick Death in Texas & X-ray Visions... not for me.

I checked out Kind by Plini & immediately thought of Squeeze Me Macaroni by Mr. Bungle - but 90% less psycho. Then I thought of Cyco Miko from Suicidal Tendencies & had to listen to Institutionalised!!!!

Sorry... back to Plini... Salt + Charcoal was cool (For an instrumental?). KO KI sounded like lounge music from the world's best Hotel Lobby & by the time I finished Atlas, I was craving lyrics.

Refused... intriguing! Rev001 was pretty cool & I enjoyed Rather be Dead. Then YouTube reminded me to listen to Wasting Away from Nail Bomb - so I did! Thanks YouTube - at least you get me!

I checked out The Haunted as suggested by Leather Poisoning I really liked their The Dead Eye album!

Another LP recommendation was Stone Sour, of which I really liked Fabuless & Absolute Zero.

From Rhayader I liked Lotus from Soen. Actually, liked a few of their songs. Converge were ok. Same, didn't love them but not bad. Opeth, about the same - not bad & could grow to like them. Meshuggah = badass!

Came across Twelve Foot Ninja - will have a look at their stuff as I liked One Hand Killing.

More to follow...
You need to get Clutch from the start. I thought the first album was great.
Just did a quick scroll through Spotify & thought you might like some of these.
I have been re visiting music that I didn’t really catch on with the first time round in the first 4 & they have been Regulars for the last 12 months.

Testament
Danzig
Lamb of god
Parkway drive

August burns red
Cataract
Dead Kelly
Devonera
Dustbolt
Grand Magus
Hermano
King Parrot
Mustach
Pigmy love Circus
Prophets of Rage
Ringworm
Sanctity
Se Bon Ki Ra
Sylosis
Throwdown
Flotsam & Jetsom
Kingdom of sorrow
Robot Lords of Tokyo

Brant, don’t listen to their latest album. Listen to the stuff I linked here a while back.

blast tyrant
Pure rock fury
Jam room
Robot hives

They’re the albums to listen to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brant, how have you not heard “the shape of punk to come”?
OK, a bit overdue... but I've had a listen to The Shape of Punk to Come - their Refused album, anyway.

I like it. That album would've toured really well as support to Faith No More on their King for a Day tour (1996, from memory).

In doing so, I came across a band called The Interrupters, from LA (I think). The (female) vocalist sounded heaps like Courtney Love from the Live Through This album (which I still love & listen to often) so that was fun.

When I get the chance, I'll listen a bit more to The Shape of Punk to Come - they seem easy to like. I can't see them hitting Pennywise or Bad Religion status, but I reckon I could like them if I give them a chance.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Despised Icon's new album Purgatory was the soundtrack of choice bright and early at work this morning. What a bloody wake up. Been doing the hardcore influenced death metal longer than most in the scene and this is just about their finest work. So much to enjoy if it's your thing.

Crock

All Australian
Oct 22, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
G'day Gents
Got a few questions that I would appreciate some help with, (but got to admit feeling somewhat naive at this point!)

In my day, Led Zep, Black Sabbath, etc, were classed as "heavy" bands! (in fact currently listening to Hawkwind - In Search of Space)

Are they still considered Heavy metal, or is the term heavy rock/blues rock more appropriate?

Reason I ask is that one of my sons has put me on to a band "The Hu" who I've found to be surprisingly good. It appears that they will be performing once in Melbourne (on the 20th March) which appears to be the same date as a few of the bands mentioned here are on stage!

If we attended this event would be silly not to try to "broaden my horizons" but I know nothing of the other bands so I wouldn't know who else to try to catch!

Would appreciate input from anybody that's prepared to take the time to give me their thoughts on the best bands performing (acknowledge previous comments made on here regarding Clutch and Plini, and that its all personal taste)

For the record, anybody that hasn't heard The Hu: They are a band out of Mongolia currently touring USA.
In my opinion, their cd "The Gereg" is worth taking the time to listen to. I would certainly be interested in the opinion of others.
Would give me some context to the other bands in this concert.

Cheers

In doing so, I came across a band called The Interrupters, from LA (I think). The (female) vocalist sounded heaps like Courtney Love from the Live Through This album (which I still love & listen to often) so that was fun.

The Interrupters are fantastic! All 3 albums chock full of fun, catchy ska punk (the good kind). All were produced by Tim Armstrong from Rancid, and the Rancid guys pop up on the occasional track here and there as well.

My whole family like that band, which is most unusual.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back