The Heavy Metal Law!!

G'day Gents
Got a few questions that I would appreciate some help with, (but got to admit feeling somewhat naive at this point!)

In my day, Led Zep, Black Sabbath, etc, were classed as "heavy" bands! (in fact currently listening to Hawkwind - In Search of Space)

Are they still considered Heavy metal, or is the term heavy rock/blues rock more appropriate?

Reason I ask is that one of my sons has put me on to a band "The Hu" who I've found to be surprisingly good. It appears that they will be performing once in Melbourne (on the 20th March) which appears to be the same date as a few of the bands mentioned here are on stage!

If we attended this event would be silly not to try to "broaden my horizons" but I know nothing of the other bands so I wouldn't know who else to try to catch!

Would appreciate input from anybody that's prepared to take the time to give me their thoughts on the best bands performing (acknowledge previous comments made on here regarding Clutch and Plini, and that its all personal taste)

For the record, anybody that hasn't heard The Hu: They are a band out of Mongolia currently touring USA.
In my opinion, their cd "The Gereg" is worth taking the time to listen to. I would certainly be interested in the opinion of others.
Would give me some context to the other bands in this concert.

Cheers

G’day Crock, Sabbath are still considered the fathers of heavy metal, but I don’t think Zep ever liked or appreciated being linked to metal - I’d got with blues rock for them, personally.

Download has some great bands on the bill, depending on what you’re into. Baroness are a fantastic progressive metal band that these days aren’t even particularly heavy (earlier stuff like Blue album was), but they’re great musicians and nice peeps too - definitely check them out.

My Chemical Romance play really melodic pop punk with slightly over wrought vocals that’s surprisingly effective, especially on their ‘Black Parade’ album. They’re great live, too.

Jimmy Eat World has one brilliant album back in the 90’s (Bleed American), and when I saw them back then they were blistering live. Unfortunately since then they’ve been way too mellow for me, but I suspect they’d still put on a great show. Another melodic pop/punk band.

More to come...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Sabbath is your thing definitely check out Corrosion of Conformity, Crock

their deliverance, wiseblood and in the arms of god albums would most likely be up your alley.

Sabbath has leant itself to so many genres of rock/metal, and it’s really just a matter of choice as to what musical cue you want to follow. Whether it’s the doom, stoner, prog or metal paths.
There’s literally hundreds of Sabbath inspired bands out there who have built on their different sounds.

Crock, there’s also Testament on the Download bill. They’re one of the classic thrash bands, from the same vintage as Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth etc. Chuck Billy is a very versatile metal singer as well. Definitely check them out if thrash is at all interesting to you.

Ministry would be familiar to any 90’s alternative fans. Industrial music pioneers, they’re best known for “Jesus Built My Hot Rod”, and are one of the most influential industrial acts of all time. They’re great live and Al Joirgensen is one of the most interesting front men around. Well worth a look.

Nu Metal fans will tell you Deftones need to be checked out as well....not my thing, but their fans absolutely LOVE them, so if’s probably worth catching at least part of their set to see if it’s yours!

Hope that helps! I’m off to check out The Hu!

Crock

All Australian
Oct 22, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hey Gents

Really appreciate your input!

Abasi
I’m in the process of downloading those three cds of Corrosion of Conformity and listening to
Deliverance atr the moment!.

Would you class these as a reasonable indication of their current sound?

Didn’t realize there were so may sub-genres within the Metal genre. Can guess at how most of the sub-genres got their names, but mystified by “Stoner”! Is this something to do with being stoned?

ps: just listening to “deliverance” and can see the similarity with Sabbath on COC!

Woodside Hawk
Yes agree with you on Blues rock for Zep, (a lot of it pinched/influenced by early Negro blues)
Saw them live back in the mid 70’s at Kooyong and they were sensational.

Doing a bit of googling on the bands you’ve mentioned and will do some homework on them!

Got a feeling I’ll be attending this festival if for nothing else but the experience.

Thanks again guys, appreciate your help.

Hey Woodside if you’ve had a chance to listen to the Hu, would be interested in your thoughts. I liked them on first listen but I’m not going to be offended if they don’t appeal to you.

Cheers

Yeah there’s so many classifications of metal/stoner/rock and I guess it has some links to guys smoking joints and writing big fat riffs.

IMO stoner rock generally refers to riff-laden rock music that has metal influences.

There’s so many bands that fall into that group and have been dubbed stoner though. Kyuss and Sabbath although decades apart are often seen as the pinnacle of stoner rock.

Stoner rock - Wikipedia
Stoner rock, also known as stoner metal or stoner doom, is a rock music fusion genre that combines elements of heavy metal and/or doom metal with psychedelic rock and acid rock.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoner_rock

Hey WH I must have been typing my post whilst you were uploading yours.
Glad to hear that you liked The Hu!

cheers

Mate, I reckon they’re great. Been sending links on Spotify to all my mates all day. Listening to their album again right now!

Re: Stoner: to me, early Queens of the Stone Age and Fu Manchu pretty much define the genre. Check out QOTSA’s first album and I reckon Fu Manchu’s latest ‘Clone of the Universe’ is a cracker too. Of course, as Abasi will probably point out, Kyuss are the kings of stoner metal, but I reckon you’d find QOTSA and Fu Manchu a little more accessible. If you’re interested, of course.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 4.24.41 pm.png

May actually miss a game of local footy for this. Every Time I Die are one of two remaining all time favourites bands I haven't seen live yet. Supporting the kings in huge arenas is insane.

Took my daughter to see Halestorm last night at The Gov. Those guys were great! Old school musicians playing some of the tightest hard rock you’ll ever hear and with a secret weapon upfront in Lzzy Hale - that girl has an incredible voice! They put on a seriously good rock show complete with extended jams and drum solos, which aren’t usually my thing, but they sell it so well and they’re fantastic musicians.

If you get the chance, head along and check em out - you won’t be disappointed.

View attachment 791242

May actually miss a game of local footy for this. Every Time I Die are one of two remaining all time favourites bands I haven't seen live yet. Supporting the kings in huge arenas is insane.
I’ll be going only to see ETID.

I’ve just recently stumbled across a Melbourne guitarist-virtuoso that goes by the name “I built the sky”.

for those who love Animals as Leaders, Plini, Intervals, Metsis and other instrumental acts this one might be for you.

How was it? Opeth cancelled the Hong Kong show (unnecessarily, but it was an understandable decision)
Really good. Was strange being at a sit down Opeth show but easy on the feet

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
I’ve just recently stumbled across a Melbourne guitarist-virtuoso that goes by the name “I built the sky”.

for those who love Animals as Leaders, Plini, Intervals, Metsis and other instrumental acts this one might be for you.

Yes, I know him quite well, amazing musician, composer and top bloke.

Back