The Heavy Metal Law!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven’t listened to Opeth for sometime. I lost track of them when they went full clean prog.

Yeah I thought I was going to do that too, but I ended up really like those later albums now, especially Pale Communion and ICV. I'm even starting to come around to Heritage.

Back to The Drapery Falls, that change into the "spiraling to the ground below.." section is :fire:

Woah, thank you. I am blown away by how easily the composer in the video can hear their sounds and translate them onto the piano. I am also blown away by how easily he can understand what they're doing as musicians via their selection of notes. His music IQ is ridiculous.

I can really see how listening to metal is intellectually very stimulating now, particularly to those with a much firmer grasp on music theory than me.

The song itself was enjoyable too, really good to listen to and appreciate all of the different elements through his lens, such complexity! In terms of vocals, I think I'm finding that I don't mind growling in songs for the effect, so long as the entire song's lyrics aren't growling - but that's just me.

Its visible with how impressed he is that Opeth's notes in the song don't exist within the same key from 3:44 to 4:30 and then later on in the video too. I don't know enough about music theory, but it really seems like he is highlighting how creative Opeth were when making this song to ensure the song brought about a particular emotion. Guess thats what all composers do, but its crazy to me! Thank you for sharing this!

Woah, thank you. I am blown away by how easily the composer in the video can hear their sounds and translate them onto the piano. I am also blown away by how easily he can understand what they're doing as musicians via their selection of notes. His music IQ is ridiculous.

I can really see how listening to metal is intellectually very stimulating now, particularly to those with a much firmer grasp on music theory than me.

The song itself was enjoyable too, really good to listen to and appreciate all of the different elements through his lens, such complexity! In terms of vocals, I think I'm finding that I don't mind growling in songs for the effect, so long as the entire song's lyrics aren't growling - but that's just me.

Its visible with how impressed he is that Opeth's notes in the song don't exist within the same key from 3:44 to 4:30 and then later on in the video too. I don't know enough about music theory, but it really seems like he is highlighting how creative Opeth were when making this song to ensure the song brought about a particular emotion. Guess thats what all composers do, but its crazy to me! Thank you for sharing this!
There’s all sorts of subtleties within different genres of music.

For many the gruff angry element of metal is what resonates, for others it’s the musicianship and how the music translates to them on an emotional level. Lots to consider.

Another example to watch...although her facial expressions are over the top...

Can you tell me more about why people are drawn to heavy metal?

I appreciate the talents and hard work that goes in to music. I don't play the guitar well and I know how long it has taken me to be able to play it poorly, therefore when I see or hear someone play an amazing guitar riff, I am in awe. However, I still can't get around *most* heavy metal.

"In the taxonomy of popular music, heavy metal is a major subspecies of hard-rock—the breed with less syncopation, less blues, more showmanship and more brute force ". Contrary to your statement, perhaps acts of showmanship and brute force as seen in heavy metal are not qualities that people want to support, consciously or subconsciously.

Would you care to help me understand the draw to heavy metal more? While I don't think I'll be a convert any time soon, I am only looking to understand its allure so that I can respect it more fully.
Someone just reminded me of this. This should give you an idea of the sheer depth of musicality that goes into the composition of metal music.

Mick Gordon (the one true GOAT) produced the DOOM soundtrack for 2016 and DOOM Eternal (for for most part - not including the DLC's). Some of the stuff is incredible, heavy, atmospheric and it's all extremely creative. Such epic soundtracks.

He's a Melbournian too.

This is an amazing piece he did for the 2016 game. Very experimental.

Last edited:
I have a favourite drummer of all time (Peart), and a bloke I think is the greatest player of all time (Donati).
Thank you for that! I wasn't at all familiar with Donati so I viewed a couple of YouTube clips. Outstanding (and with a traditional grip LOL). Can't help but wonder what players like Gene Krupa or Buddy Rich would have become in the modern era. This may be as close as we get to finding out.

Thank you for that! I wasn't at all familiar with Donati so I viewed a couple of YouTube clips. Outstanding (and with a traditional grip LOL). Can't help but wonder what players like Gene Krupa or Buddy Rich would have become in the modern era. This may be as close as we get to finding out.
The fact that Virgil's an Aussie is just a bonus. He used to have a crazy heavy fusion band called 'On The Virg' who played long weeknight residencies here in Melbourne during the 90s, first at the Grainstore in the city and then at The Evelyn. Then they started playing a set of On the Virg tunes and then a set of Dream Theater covers. I must have gone 25 times, blew my effing mind every single time.

But yeah, Rich and Krupa are true legends....

Wow, almost as great as Neil Peart - LOL!
Seriously, the line between the great drummers is so very thin. This cat's amazing!
He's up there with Elliot Hoffman for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess this is metal dressed up as pop music. It’s brilliantly hilarious and they’re playing Good things festival in December.

Always respect a film clip with a sense of humour. Getting real TISM meets Eurovision vibes.

Hey All
Back in Nov 2019 I posted this in this thread.
This band was one of the acts booked to play in a “Heavy Metal” festival at te showgrounds early 2020 which was cancelled due to covid.
For the record, anybody that hasn't heard The Hu: They are a band out of Mongolia currently touring USA.
In my opinion, their cd "The Gereg" is worth taking the time to listen to. I would certainly be interested in the opinion of others.
Would give me some context to the other bands in this concert.

Cheers

I was lucky enough to attend their second (and last) performance in Melbourne last night with 2 of my sons and their partners.
Really excellent performance!
Something about the beat that really gets you moving.

However I wouid not class them as heavy metal and would be interested in other peoples opinions.
Link below to one of their songs on youtube

First gig in three years last night, and it was a good’un. StarGazer at the Bendigo in Collingwood.

Been wanting to see them for years, didn’t disappoint. Short set, but it was past midnight when it finished and I was kinda ready for bed 👴🏼

Attachments

• D67EA81C-E01E-4839-97BA-4BB9F7EA37C9.jpeg
    D67EA81C-E01E-4839-97BA-4BB9F7EA37C9.jpeg
    966.2 KB · Views: 42
I know it's not Heavy Metal, but I couldn't think of another thread to share this.

Earlier today I heard this and thought how have I never heard this Linkin Park tune before:

One of the most interesting covers/mash-ups I've come across.

His channel is full of great stuff.

Like this…

And this…

I know it's not Heavy Metal, but I couldn't think of another thread to share this.

Earlier today I heard this and thought how have I never heard this Linkin Park tune before:

there's wearing your influences on your sleeve and then there's this lmao

you couldn't sound more like Linkin Park even if you were doing a cover

Just wait until you get to "I can feel it all start slipping aw-AYYY MACARENA"

Both songs equally horrible, mixed together to make one incredibly bad tune.

Y U do this Kermit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back