News We’re going to Dingleyland! Construction to begin.

ImageProxy.mvc

Email to members:-

As a valued member, you would be aware that for the past three years the club has been in the process of conducting a feasibility study on the future of Waverley Park.

This has been a very thorough and comprehensive project, and the Board has received regular updates on its progress over that period.

Since relocating to Waverley Park in 2006, this site has served the club extremely well. In that time, we have grown in all areas of our business.

At the end of 2014, we sent a small delegation overseas to tour some of the world’s best training and administration facilities, which has put us in a better position to make the right decision for the club and our members.

The three year feasibility study concluded that Waverley Park now has a number of limitations, which will restrict any future expansion, growth and development. As a result it was in the best interests of the club to explore the option of an alternate site.

Our key vision, to be the destination club, is one of the main objectives within our strategic plan and this means providing world-class training and administration facilities to attract the best players, coaches and staff.

Most other AFL clubs have developed new state-of-the-art facilities and we have rapidly fallen down the ladder in this respect.

Furthermore, we desire a facility that will allow our increasing number of members to feel part of the club and to create a destination that is accessible to all. Our present facility is not conducive to this requirement, which we regard as fundamental to aligning with our values as the family club.

Over the past few years, the club has identified and explored a short list of 15-20 potential sites throughout Melbourne’s south eastern corridor, and a 28 hectare site in Dingley has been of significant interest due to its location, size and capability.

Following further analysis of the land, a working party has recommended the Dingley site could meet the future needs of the club, its members, players, coaches and staff.

As such, I am pleased to inform you the club has put a conditional offer to purchase the identified parcel of land, and we have 18 months to conduct further due diligence on the site.

This decision has been made following an extensive process that has included consultation with the Board, leadership group, coaching and management staff; an overseas study tour and the investigation of potential alternative sites throughout Melbourne’s south eastern corridor.

If, after the 18 month investigation, the Dingley site does not suit the club’s requirements we are not obligated to purchase the property.

Should it eventuate, the site will allow for the development of a world-class training and administrative facility which will provide greater prospects for member interaction, community engagement and future expansion.

It is important to note that this project is in the exploration phase and any potential development would be a 5-10 year undertaking.

CEO Stuart Fox and I, along with the Board and management, are focused on establishing the best option to future proof Hawthorn Football Club for our most important stakeholders – you, our members and supporters.

This is a significant decision for the future of our club and its members, and rest assured it has been made after exhaustive research and due diligence.

We are determined to place the club at the forefront of elite sporting and community facilities, and to ensure any future home of the Hawks is a place where our valued members and supporters feel welcomed and engaged.

So what do we think?

This would be incredible for Hawthorn.

We'd have ovals the equivalent of the MCG and Etihad, plenty of room for indoor training, medical facilities and gym, much larger administration base and no doubt build a large social club for supporters to dine/wine.

Whilst I haven't seen the final proposal, the possibilities are enormous.

walhawk

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2007
Box Hill
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill, Storm
I have to look up Dingley to see where it is - the middle of nowhere.
It would want to be bloody good - miles from where players like to live and where most members live.

Dec 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City, Box Hill Hawks
It would want to be bloody good - miles from where players like to live and where most members live.

Expanding!

Saints won't be happy, it's kind of their territory.

wallyt99

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2007
Bay 13
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Its about 15 minutes from waverley park. Still. Lots of.plane noise from moorabbin airport and.sometimes rubbish tip.smells.

Not surewhy they dont look to partner with Monash city.council and Mazenod to develop Freeway Reserve in Mulgrave.

Anything that helps better the club im all for it and its just down the road from my place would love it if they setup base there.

Last edited:

zacattack

Rookie
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fantastic for cash flow, just like pokies in Caroline Springs.
An absolute shocker for the changing nature of the 'masses' that will be members of the Hawthorn football club - there has been a slight trend towards more ferals/bogans/Big Issue sellers supporting Hawthorn/wearing Hawthorn garb and stickers on their cars, compared to the Glenferrie Rd years; possibly now likely to get worse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingley_Village,_Victoria

Whilst Dingley is not so bad a suburb it is indeed woop-woop - not exactly Camberwell or East Hawthorn.
The club is making some hard nosed decisions for financial pragmatics survival - fair enough, but this is way too far out for me if it goes ahead. Not exactly Lexus centre right smack bang in the middle of the inner city...just a personal opinion...

An absolute shocker for the changing nature of the 'masses' that will be members of the Hawthorn football club - there has been a slight trend towards more ferals/bogans/Big Issue sellers supporting Hawthorn/wearing Hawthorn garb and stickers on their cars, compared to the Glenferrie Rd years; possibly now likely to get worse.

Whilst Dingley is not so bad a suburb it is indeed woop-woop - not exactly Camberwell or East Hawthorn.
The club is making some hard nosed decisions for financial pragmatics survival - fair enough, but this is way too far out for me if it goes ahead. Not exactly Lexus centre right smack bang in the middle of the inner city...just a personal opinion...
Is this a joke?

Where is this city land you are hoping for?

Hawks are looking to own the land, not lease it.

You try identifying a parcel of land that size in the middle of the inner city.
& at the right price.

Im pretty happy with the way the club has consistently grown on & off the ground since the dark merger days.
I trust Newbold & Co. to keep this growth up & do whats best for the club.

They are doing their due-diligence by putting a conditional offer on the land while continuing the feasibility study

I guess some will never be happy with the way the club is run

Back