News We’re going to Dingleyland! Construction to begin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct weight.

"Mr Kennett told the Herald Sun he is "absolutely" certain his stinging criticism of (the Andrews Government)... cost the club its anticipated funding."

But he has no regrets over his criticism, saying: 'There are some things in life that are more important than money.'"

Forget about what side of politics he is on, he has openly admitted to knowing that his words were going to impact the Club’s chances of funding. Just as he’s known that his continual potting of AFL house and other clubs does us no favors ( see with fixturing or HUB plans in 2020). Yet he continues to throw mud, because he puts the club second.

Imagine if Tom Mitchell took to Twitter to slam a possible major sponsor, and they instead sent that money to Essendon or Richmond? Would we all be so forgiving?

So he should just keep his mouth shut and tow the line? Why not just get Gil to be president?

Damien Barret (i know i know) alluded to this issue on his podcast with Hutchy yesterday, including a statement that the Hawks had taken on a pretty hefty chunk of debt to begin facilitating the KCC. Any legs on that statement?

No.

I never even mentioned Jeff

I said if Andrews can not cop well deserved criticism then he needs to grow a pair.

Others called Andrews out for being petty.

Anyway I am over it.

Good news about the fed funding.
You wrote this which I asked whether it was worth losing the funding over

All good points.

The same as when jeff said of the Andrews Gov handling of the hotel fiasco was also a very very very good point.
We were talking about Jeff

Damien Barret (i know i know) alluded to this issue on his podcast with Hutchy yesterday, including a statement that the Hawks had taken on a pretty hefty chunk of debt to begin facilitating the KCC. Any legs on that statement?

dood, find a more productive way to spend your time than listening to Barrett’s podcast. You know you should :)

To the people defending Jeff, if he had been a Labor politician and started slagging off the liberals in public every chance he got I doubt you’d be happy about it. Throw in clashes with the coach, insensitive comments, insulting Cyrils wife etc. Jeff’s not a draw card to bring members into the club but he’s likely to lose some. Yes he helped to bring the club back from the brink but it doesn’t mean he’s immune from criticism.

Lots of faceless and nameless keyboard warrior yelling at JGK. # so brave
Because you dont know what it is, you think there is no plan?
Do you know who Luke Stambolis is and what he does?

I don’t think I said that. But if you know what the plan is we would love you to share. In the past there has always been a plan, it was often clear, but to date with this regeneration not much has been shared with the supporter base. I don’t suspect for one moment the Club does not have a plan, the intracacies of which I don’t expect to be public but I am sure all HFC supporters/members deserve some inkling of what we should be buying into.

Hilarious the Andrews government will oversee astronomical numbers of debt handing out money like it grows off trees, yet can't give the Dingley project a dime.
That’s because Jeff hurt Dan’s feelings.

Good god could Andrews be more of a wimp if he tried.

His decision after his union mates lent on him cost Victoria billions of dollars yet he is worried about 10 mill.

Make no mistake no matter what petty Dan says, Jeff hurt his feelings and the little dweeb is shallow enough to pull the pin on any money coming the Hawks way.

His bullshit “it’s not all about Jeff” is just a straight out lie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s because Jeff hurt Dan’s feelings.

Good god could Andrews be more of a wimp if he tried.

His decision after his union mates lent on him cost Victoria billions of dollars yet he is worried about 10 mill.

Make no mistake no matter what petty Dan says, Jeff hurt his feelings and the little dweeb is shallow enough to pull the pin on any money coming the Hawks way.

His bullshit “it’s not all about Jeff” is just a straight out lie.
We can argue all we like about which side of the political fence people sit on, and we'll get absolutely no where. Politics are a dirty beast.

The issue I have is that Jeff is clearly a very intelligent man, he knows the game and how it needs to be played, because he's worn both sets of shoes. If he's acting in the best interests of the football club he loves so dearly, shouldn't he put his opinion or ego to one side for the betterment of the HFC?

Jeff has continually said that he and all HFC employees are accountable to the HFC members, but the best and responsible thing in this instance was for him to stay quiet and HFC to receive further funding for this project. He couldn't do it.

Jeff has continually said that he and all HFC employees are accountable to the HFC members, but the best and responsible thing in this instance was for him to stay quiet and HFC to receive further funding for this project. He couldn't do it.
Your right about being accountable to the club that's why Hawthorn have always been a well run club both financially and governed on and off the field.
As for Jeff with his experience in politics he is well qualified to have his say and opinions on political matters.

Just because Jeff has been critical of Dan Andrews and his government on the way they handled the covid 2nd wave outbreak was well deserved, and at the moment Daniel has spat the dummy....but as Daniel said they will come good eventually and you will see money being provided in the future from the Andrews government. So at the moment the political games are being played but the end result will turn out in Hawthorn's favour

Disappointed woth how this is playing out, both in terms of the actual development being behind schedule & the public banter between Jeff & Labor. Our club used to be the strong, silent type but now we come across as a whinging, self entitled little brat. That's not the Hawthorn way.

There's things beyond our control no doubt, but the things we can control (Jeff) have been managed poorly, if at all.

Last edited:
We can argue all we like about which side of the political fence people sit on, and we'll get absolutely no where. Politics are a dirty beast.

The issue I have is that Jeff is clearly a very intelligent man, he knows the game and how it needs to be played, because he's worn both sets of shoes. If he's acting in the best interests of the football club he loves so dearly, shouldn't he put his opinion or ego to one side for the betterment of the HFC?

But Dan just said the lack of funding has nothing to do with Jeff calling him out.

Are you saying Dan is a liar?

Disappointed woth how this is playing out, both in terms of the actual development being behind schedule & the public banter between Jeff & Labor. Our club used to be the strong, silent type but now we come across as a whinging, self entitled little brat. That's not the Hawthorn way.

There's things beyond our control no doubt, but the things we can control (Jeff) have been managed poorly, if at all.
Lots of projects got put off because of covid.

God this is tiresome.

It sounds like we will get funding from the state gov, it's in Pakula's, and also Labor's, interests to get it happening. I don't believe Kennett's social media has played a part, but to be honest, my belief whether it has or hasn't isn't the point.

The point that is annoying me, and I suspect many others, is that Kennett DOES believe that his political comments, made while not in politics, and while representing Hawthorn's interests, HAVE negatively affected Hawthorn.

He believes this is true, and he is perfectly ok with that. He thinks that his right to vent on social media outweighs any responsibility to Hawthorn.

And that's where most of us say no. You have a responsibility to the club before yourself. If you want to put your own interests first, quit the club.

Last edited:
God this is tiresome.

It sounds like we will get funding from the state gov, it's in Pakula's, and also Labor's, interests to get it happening. I don't believe Kennett's social media has played a part, but to be honest, my belief whether it has or hasn't isn't the point.

The point that is annoying me, and I suspect many others, is that Kennett DOES believe that his political comments, made while not in politics, and while representing Hawthorn's interests, HAVE negatively affected Hawthorn.

He believes this is true, and he is perfectly ok with that. He thinks that his right to vent on social media outweighs any responsibility to Hawthorn.

And that's where most of us say, no. You have a responsibility to the club before yourself. If you want to put your own interests first, quit the club.
So Jeff is on record saying the Club suffered a loss directly due to his Twitter comments. This is his admission.

So, moving forward he has a choice. Keep dropping his tweets and accept harm to the Club, or just stop picking fights on Twitter with potential funders.

Let's see which path he chooses to go down.

I don’t think I said that. But if you know what the plan is we would love you to share. In the past there has always been a plan, it was often clear, but to date with this regeneration not much has been shared with the supporter base. I don’t suspect for one moment the Club does not have a plan, the intracacies of which I don’t expect to be public but I am sure all HFC supporters/members deserve some inkling of what we should be buying into.

Well I have been tracking it closely because I believe it will be one of the best facilities in the league.
Perhaps the WA and SA teams may have better but as far as Vic goes, we will be without peer.

I cant summarise it all for you as most of the updates have come via newsletters and annual reports etc but there is actually lots in this thread too.
It all started over 5 years ago with the option to purchase the land and the 18months due diligence that followed.

Calm down.

I just asked a simple question, since when is that remotely looking for a fight?

Dan said that Jeff’s criticism had NO bearing on the funding.
I'm calm mate, I'm also focusing on the person that is involved with and responsible to the Hawthorn Football Club.

I'm not concerned with what Dan Andrews said, Jeff said that his comments had a negative effect. He believed they would detrimentally impact our ability to gain State funding and he went ahead with them any way.

Putting ego and your own thoughts and feelings ahead of whats best for the club is not my idea of strong leadership.

I understand your position on Dan Andrews, you've been very clear on that. All I'm saying is I have zero interest in that side, and I'm very interested in the HFC side.

I'm calm mate, I'm also focusing on the person that is involved with and responsible to the Hawthorn Football Club.

I'm not concerned with what Dan Andrews said, Jeff said that his comments had a negative effect. He believed they would detrimentally impact our ability to gain State funding.
I understand your position on Dan Andrews, you've been very clear on that. All I'm saying is I have zero interest in that side, and I'm very interested in the HFC side.
I also am only concerned about the HFC.

But Dan said that “Jeff’s comments had NO effect”

I would have much more respect if he just told the truth, to me it’s very weak to withhold funding from an organisation because you can’t take a bit of heat.

Anyway I am glad the fed gov has kicked in some money and hopefully we can start seeing some progress in 2021 on the Kennedy Centre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back