Analysis The Highlights of 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

So while we all argue who the better fan is and what makes a good coach how about just a thread on the good of 2018

What were your top moments this season and what pleased you the most.

In no order mine are

- AJ returning to senior footy (next week is a lowlight) but just to play one game, and one of those rare moments where all fans even people who hate Sydney liked the story. He played well too

- Ronke 7 goals and v hawthorn, he probably won’t get close to that again and even If he did it won’t have the surprise element

- rohan dealing with his twins, I know that’s a sad moment, but just how and him his partner and the club handled it all was impressive

- Sinclair rucking solo and having a break out year

- Cunningham improvemet

- florent taking the game on to kick the winner v the dogs

- win down at Geelong including fox mark and winning without buddy

- beating the eagles round 1, almost our best brand of footy for the year

- aliir coming back to senior footy and showing what he could do

Anything else

- beating Norf in the last couple of seconds and then seeing them melt about that and Blakey
- beating Western Bulldogs in the last second in which Florent took the game on (god forbid nearly got himself de-listed)
- Hawfs getting Ronked
- Being the first team to win @ Optus Stadium, Bud tearing them a new one.

Did lol. Imagine how pissed of Longmire would've been after that game!

Trying to be positive

Cleaned my house and you came in and took a dump in my flower pot :p

Definitely Sinclair for me. Took his chance when it came up, shat all over Naismith's performances, worked extremely hard all year with very little backup.

I gave him a real barrage of criticism in 2017 and this year he absolutely stood up to the plate. Well done Callum

Harry Cunningham was the other huge improver, really impressive consistency

My non-Swans positives for the year will be when West Coast and Melbourne get knocked out. Living in WA the Eagles fans are completely intolerable (Freo are fine)

Definitely Sinclair for me. Took his chance when it came up, shat all over Naismith's performances, worked extremely hard all year with very little backup.

I gave him a real barrage of criticism in 2017 and this year he absolutely stood up to the plate. Well done Callum

My non-Swans positives for the year will be when West Coast and Melbourne get knocked out. Living in WA the Eagles fans are completely intolerable (Freo are fine)
Both the Eagles and Dees are a pretty good shot for the Grand Final.

How goods the stadium?

Must be great as every WA person I’ve met this year tells me about it

- McCartin's kick on the deck to beat the pies

- Parker's scissor kick goal

- AJ's bravery at qtr time in the Melb game and after the break to keep all his teammates positive...and all that turning into a famous victory

- AA's running goal to break Norf's hearts

- Round 1 against Eagles, MCG game against hawks and North game at Etihad stand out as the really good games of football we were involved in this year (probably more so a lot of the others were excruciating to watch for long patches of the games, despite a few really good quarters here and there).
- Heeney's mark against the dees and Buddy's 65m goal against GWS early in the season.
- Kennedys last quarter clearance masterclass against the Cats in Geelong.
- Cunningham's improvement. Sinclair likewise. Sinclair was a real whipping boy of mine pre-season so his form was especially surprising and good to see. Although I still don't rate his actual ruck-work itself he proved very useful around the ground and never stopped trying... if he keeps that up next season he could be a really useful forward / 2nd ruck.
- Florent, Hayward and Ronkes early season form was encouraging. All had moments where they really stood up in crucial stages of big games in that first half of the year. Florent was really good when he had that run of 20+ possession games before the bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think we were robbed of one of the biggest potential highlights for the year. They should've started AJ on the bench so that his arrival onto the field was a more significant occasion. Imagine the whole stadium standing as one to celebrate his remarkable resilience and determination. It was somehow anticlimactic that the game just started with him there. Still, it was an obvious highlight!

Also, something that particularly tickled me throughout the year was McVeigh selling candy on such a regular basis. Just makes me fistpump every time the wily, old bugged does it. Oozes class.

Many great highlights already referenced.. Buddy, when he fit just makes me laugh with job at the game.

Cunningham and Sinkers were the great improvers. Good matches from K. AJ and Allir. Pinching some matches.

Recruitment of two potential senior coaches.

That is all

That moment I first saw AJ out on the field + the footage of Him, Robo & co as the siren went was a standout for me.

Everyone has pretty muched summed up the rest I'd mention.

Despite our exit, it's been an exciting season. Seeing all the kids step up & seeing a bit of life here & there in guys like Kizza & Macca has been unexpected & nice.

Onward to 2019. I'm so pumped to see what we can do with a year under the belt of the kids & Millsy/Naisy back.

That moment I first saw AJ out on the field + the footage of Him, Robo & co as the siren went was a standout for me.

Everyone has pretty muched summed up the rest I'd mention.

Despite our exit, it's been an exciting season. Seeing all the kids step up & seeing a bit of life here & there in guys like Kizza & Macca has been unexpected & nice.

Onward to 2019. I'm so pumped to see what we can do with a year under the belt of the kids & Millsy/Naisy back.

Such enthusiasm!
Good to see.:thumbsu:

1. Development of some players (Ronke, Hayward, etc)
2. Finding the next star in MCcartin
3. Heeney's development, big things for me over the next 2-3 years and beyond. Will win a Brownlow.
4. Despite it being brief AJ's return was good to see live.
5. Beating Hawthorn once.

Buddy's 8.
Florent's match-winner.
Cattery comeback.
Ronke's 7.
ALIIR ALIIR THE WHOLE ******** YEAR (that rhymed)
AJ's comeback.
Llllllooooyyyyddd's form.
Heeney's mark (MOTY)
Parker's goal (GOTY)

Another one, which I wouldn't say was a highlight but more an eye-opener, was the Richmond game at Etihad. Yeah we lost and were behind the whole night, but it was the rare game where it felt like we got a real perspective on where we were at as a team. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but came up against a team in the premiership zone, the zone we often occupied just a few years ago. To me it was exciting for us to go up against that and see what we have to do to get back into that zone.

Then there was the Hawthorn game at the MCG, and the North game at Etihad, both of which were very high-octane and really tested the attacking capacity of our side and we were up to it. There were times we weren't this year but on those occasions we were, which was promising.

So while we all argue who the better fan is and what makes a good coach how about just a thread on the good of 2018

What were your top moments this season and what pleased you the most.

In no order mine are

- AJ returning to senior footy (next week is a lowlight) but just to play one game, and one of those rare moments where all fans even people who hate Sydney liked the story. He played well too

- Ronke 7 goals and v hawthorn, he probably won’t get close to that again and even If he did it won’t have the surprise element

- rohan dealing with his twins, I know that’s a sad moment, but just how and him his partner and the club handled it all was impressive

- Sinclair rucking solo and having a break out year

- Cunningham improvemet

- florent taking the game on to kick the winner v the dogs

- win down at Geelong including fox mark and winning without buddy

- beating the eagles round 1, almost our best brand of footy for the year

- aliir coming back to senior footy and showing what he could do

Anything else
Agree with all these.

AA kicking the sealer against North was a really special moment for mine.

Round 1 Beating WC and Buddy's 8
Florent, Hayward and Ronke (first half of the year)
First Hawthorn game and Ronke's 7goal/10 tackle game
Heeney's mark of the year
Parker's goal of the year
The second North game

Agree with the highlights above.

From a team perspective, the win at the Litter Box and the two wins over the Weasels.

For me Sinkers effort in the ruck all year was sensational. Under sized another a natural tap ruckman, he never shirked the contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back