The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

getthefooty

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Was mindlessly browsing the internet and stumbled across The Last Emperor... can't believe I'd never heard this dude before. Dope as *.

Best concept song I've heard, not the original beat but probably just as good:

His first album, The Legend of Bigfoot, never got a release from Rawkus but luckily it's able to be easily tracked down on the net, highly recommended. Music, Magic, Myth is his only album and there's hardly a skippable track, ******* insane.

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Baltimore Ravens
Was mindlessly browsing the internet and stumbled across The Last Emperor... can't believe I'd never heard this dude before. Dope as ****.

Best concept song I've heard, not the original beat but probably just as good:

His first album, The Legend of Bigfoot, never got a release from Rawkus but luckily it's able to be easily tracked down on the net, highly recommended. Music, Magic, Myth is his only album and there's hardly a skippable track, ******* insane.

I like that first track. I couldn't find it on isohunt. PM me?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So i copped Good Kid, M.A.A.D City today and I just don't feel it...

Sounds very commericial. Kinda like a drunken love child of crunk and bling.

Dunno. I've tried to give it a go but I can't understand how this album can get rave reviews. People have been throwing the word "Classic" around like cheap confetti.

Edit:
As an additional thought... Are people really loving this or is it cool to do so? Hipster Rap?

So i copped Good Kid, M.A.A.D City today and I just don't feel it...

Sounds very commericial. Kinda like a drunken love child of crunk and bling.

Dunno. I've tried to give it a go but I can't understand how this album can get rave reviews. People have been throwing the word "Classic" around like cheap confetti.

Edit:
As an additional thought... Are people really loving this or is it cool to do so? Hipster Rap?

What are you not feeling about it?

The phrase 'Kinda like a drunken love child of crunk and bling.' sounds like you are missing the whole story/narrative Kendrick is trying to tell.

What are you not feeling about it?

The phrase 'Kinda like a drunken love child of crunk and bling.' sounds like you are missing the whole story/narrative Kendrick is trying to tell.

It's just my oppinion and of course everyone has different tastes in music. Personally I don't feel the flow, his voice, subject matter and the music in general. I respect that this album is a narrative, but that doesn't change the fact that "musically" I don't find it appealing.

I'll give it another listen through with more of an open mind ;) . I have a pretty broad taste in music, and love many different types of Hip Hop, but on first listen I was disappointed. Can't get my head around the reviews calling it a "masterpiece" and "classic".

Maybe it'll grow on me. Or maybe I'm getting old.

Delroy

Club Legend
May 11, 2005
A Town Called Alice
AFL Club
West Coast
When I first heard it I wasn't blown away. It seemed like his great rapping was being hidden by all these other distractions like random choruses, people leaving stupid messages, prayers etc.

But when you keep listening, it becomes clear there is so much awesome rapping. And so much of it is pure story telling. But amazingly enough, the first time I really started loving a lot of the songs was when the album was on shuffle, so I definitely don't think it all needs to be appreciated as big story.

Kendrick displays many emotions in this album, and many of them I can relate to. Getting ****ed up on drugs through boredom. Anger, pain, hoping there is something more important. But the great thing is amongst all this heavy s**t there is still moments you can nod your head to, and bring a smile to your face. And he managed to tell his story and stay true to himself on a major record label album! (But can't understand how cartoon_cereal wasnt on there!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back