The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't really a fan of Mos Def but I gave Estactic a listen, and wow there are some great songs. These two are amazing, and Slick Rick absolute kills it with his verse.

Last year we posted our favourite albums and songs of the year. I thought it'd be cool if we did it again. I'm getting in early as I'm pretty sure my opinion won't be changed over the next 3 weeks.

Song of the year:

Danny Brown - Grown Up. I spent the first part of this year absolutely obsessed with Danny Brown's XXX album, and when this song came out it was like a breath of fresh air. It's chill as *, and nothing at all like the tracks on his album. It really made me realise that this guy is a multi-dimensional rapper and will probably be around for a good while yet.

Album of the year:

Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music. Words cannot express how much I enjoy listening to this album. Mike's raps are fearsome yet thought provoking. El-P's production is some of the best I have heard, period. Take away a couple of the guest verses on the opening track, and it is pretty much a flawless hip hop album.

Apologies to Kendrick Lamar. His album was a clear second, followed by El-P's "Cancer 4 Cure".

album here:
http://mishkanyc.bandcamp.com/album/mandatory-brunch-meetings

Last year we posted our favourite albums and songs of the year. I thought it'd be cool if we did it again. I'm getting in early as I'm pretty sure my opinion won't be changed over the next 3 weeks.
i'll edit this with more detail later, but I better write this down now while I can still remember what came out this year :p

albums/mixtapes:
Kendrick lamar - Good Kid, M.A.A.D City
LIL UGLY MANE - MISTA THUG ISOLATION
Gunplay - 601 & Snort
Sean Price - Mic Tyson
Jeremih - Late Nights With Jeremih
Flatbush Zombies - D.R.U.G.S.

songs:
Isiah Toothtaker + Rapewolf - Burn It Down
Freddie Gibbs - Shame
Lute - Letter 2
CurT@!n$ - RutHLe$$
Gunplay - Bible on the Dash
Flatbush Zombies - S.C.O.S.A.
Kendrick Lamar - Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst
Antwon - Living Every Dream
Jeremih - * U All the Time
Joey Bada$$ - Survival Tactics

Album of the year? Good Kid M.A.A.D City (took me a while to "get" it though). For second place you can't go past Apollo Brown & OC: "Trophies". Pretty much a perfect album IMO. No gimmicks, no guest artists... Just straight up exquisite production and dope, smooth rhymes with a conscious message.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Album of the year? Good Kid M.A.A.D City (took me a while to "get" it though). For second place you can't go past Apollo Brown & OC: "Trophies". Pretty much a perfect album IMO. No gimmicks, no guest artists... Just straight up exquisite production and dope, smooth rhymes with a conscious message.

Yeah, that Apollo Brown/OC album is great. Have you heard the Apollo Brown and Guilty Simpson album? That came out this year too. It's been such a good year for hip hop!

Is it just me or is it slightly annoying when people call ASAP Rocky just ASAP. Seeing as there is like 15 guys with ASAP at the start of their names.

No one happens to have a spare/unclaimed Action Bronson ticket for his Melbourne show do they?

I waited too long, I never thought they'd sell out this far in advance

Check out this EP called 'Wall Street' by Melbourne Hip Hop/Rap Artist Ry.

Some songs have been featured on Triple J Unearthed so you might have heard them before if local hip hop is your thing.

Download: ITSTHATKIDRY.COM

WallStreet500DD.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back