The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

This track is from their album Black Seminar is was released December 9th, it's got some dope tracks on it and as always Madlib brings the beats, definitely worth a listen.

I'm not really feeling RTJ3. There's a few nice tracks, but it doesn't have the songwriting I'm used to from them and instead seems too reliant on El's production, which at times borders on obnoxious to me. Just a hard one to really enjoy.

I'm not really feeling RTJ3. There's a few nice tracks, but it doesn't have the songwriting I'm used to from them and instead seems too reliant on El's production, which at times borders on obnoxious to me. Just a hard one to really enjoy.

I've had a chance to listen to it about half a dozen times now and I agree in part, there are about four songs I really like but the rest don't do a heap for me, I think as a whole it's a bit to long I'm surprise a few of the tracks made the cut. Production wise I don't mind it I wouldn't say I find any of it obnoxious there are just some s**t tracks that shouldn't of made the album.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BoshtrichBurger you were right about 808s and Heartbreaks. Even though I was already a big fan of it, it really clicked for me to the extent that I would call it my second favourite Kanye album. Listening to Street Lights (one of my favourite Ye songs) really is quite devastating when you think about how Kanye just seems to be drifting further into insanity. Makes me really wonder just how much the dude was impacted by his mother's death.

BoshtrichBurger you were right about 808s and Heartbreaks. Even though I was already a big fan of it, it really clicked for me to the extent that I would call it my second favourite Kanye album. Listening to Street Lights (one of my favourite Ye songs) really is quite devastating when you think about how Kanye just seems to be drifting further into insanity. Makes me really wonder just how much the dude was impacted by his mother's death.
His mum's passing still haunts him to this day.

808s was cathartic for him. Yeezus was the anger boiling over.

What's the 808s story?

What's the 808s story?

The Wikipedia article sums it up pretty well:

Following the release of his third studio album Graduation, the remainder of 2007 and the following year featured events that profoundly affected Kanye West. On November 10, 2007, West's mother Donda West died due to complications arising following cosmetic surgery involving a tummy tuck and breast reduction procedure. Months later, West and fiancée Alexis Phifer ended their engagement and their long-term intermittent relationship, which had begun in 2002. At the same time, West struggled to adapt to his newfound pop star status he had once striven to achieve, often becoming the subject of media scrutiny. The loss, loneliness and longing for companionship and a sense of normality served to inspire 808s & Heartbreak. West stated that "This album was therapeutic – it's lonely at the top." A photograph taken by Danny Clinch of West kissing his mother on the cheek was included in the album's booklet liner notes. West felt that his emotions could not be fully expressed simply through rapping, which he said had limitations.

Only just stumbled upon Rav's "Beneath the Toxic Jungle" now. So bloody good. Reminds me of the first time I listened to Nujabes or Dark Time Sunshine -- just such a cool, unique sound.

Full album:

Only just stumbled upon Rav's "Beneath the Toxic Jungle" now. So bloody good. Reminds me of the first time I listened to Nujabes or Dark Time Sunshine -- just such a cool, unique sound.

Full album:

That beat at the start of the album is Soul Below by Ljones.

One of my favourite discoveries over the past few years. Love the beat tape.

That beat at the start of the album is Soul Below by Ljones.

One of my favourite discoveries over the past few years. Love the beat tape.

This sounds very promising. I'll give that album a listen tonight. Cheers for the shout!

That's also a fantastic YouTube channel. Always chuck on the ChillHop cafe if I'm studying or reading something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back