The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Daytona is great but id have Testing over it.
Strongly disagree with this. Every song on Daytona is at least 8/10 and it has 2-3 10/10 tracks. This GOOD music release month is looking like it could be another MBDTF/Yeezus moment.

While I'm most interested for Kanye's solo album, his Cudi collab will be bloody interesting (especially to see if Cudi can be strong for a whole project) and the Nas one is also seriously intriguing.

gym4life

Norm Smith Medallist
Melbourne Bolts Player - BFFCL Pokemon is Life
May 22, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I wish I could love the whole album, but Distorted Records is the only song I fully enjoy
Purity, changes, the new asap forever, fukk sleep, brotha man, tony tone.
Strongly disagree with this. Every song on Daytona is at least 8/10 and it has 2-3 10/10 tracks. This GOOD music release month is looking like it could be another MBDTF/Yeezus moment.

While I'm most interested for Kanye's solo album, his Cudi collab will be bloody interesting (especially to see if Cudi can be strong for a whole project) and the Nas one is also seriously intriguing.
It’s pretty easy to make a good album when it’s only 7 songs, testing has more filler but I’m pretty confident saying testing top 7 > Daytona.

Also most interested in Kanye’s solo but after hearing cudis verse on asap forever I’m so ******* excited for that collab. Cudi is ******* back.

It’s pretty easy to make a good album when it’s only 7 songs,
Seeing this a lot, but not sure I agree. One weak song can just about jeopardize the whole project. You need to be ON with every song to release a great project at that length. Not much room for error.
I’m pretty confident saying testing top 7 > Daytona.
Don't agree with this either, but fair enough. Not really feeling the new A$AP compared to Push in general, to be honest.

gym4life

Norm Smith Medallist
May 22, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Seeing this a lot, but not sure I agree. One weak song can just about jeopardize the whole project. You need to be ON with every song to release a great project at that length. Not much room for error.
While it’s true there’s not much room for error, typically artists make 20 + songs in preparation for an album and then choose the album from those, hence the smaller the album the easier it is for it to be cohesive and to not have any lows.

While it’s true there’s not much room for error, typically artists make 20 + songs in preparation for an album and then choose the album from those, hence the smaller the album the easier it is for it to be cohesive and to not have any lows.
Still, your choices have to be impeccable. Look at TLOP's initial release for example. Only about 10 songs (from apparently hundreds) and Fade was a pretty huge buzzkill. While Facts was better than the single version, it still wasn't great.

A couple years on though, and I think it's Waves that kills that album for me. Chris Brown should have been left in the past.

gym4life

Norm Smith Medallist
May 22, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Still, your choices have to be impeccable. Look at TLOP's initial release for example. Only about 10 songs (from apparently hundreds) and Fade was a pretty huge buzzkill. While Facts was better than the single version, it still wasn't great.

A couple years on though, and I think it's Waves that kills that album for me. Chris Brown should have been left in the past.
Speaking of tlop I think that testing is really similar in that the album isn’t very cohesive but there’s a lot of highs and the highs are very good.

Man, I really think Pusha T has one of the best rap voices ever. It hits the ear nicely.
I think Kanye's production has a lot to do with this too. Just seems to know how to get the most out of Pusha's vocals.

Production on Santeria is beautiful
As soon as the beat hit around the 30 second mark on If You Know You Know on first listen, I just said "*".

Somehow Kanye's production continues to be underrated.

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
Dunno about the whole LP, but The Games We Play is undefeated in getting me to stop everything and hit repeat 10x.
LinearDifficultBluejay-max-1mb.gif

What are your thoughts on Kanye's new album?
Really, really liking it. Gets better with each listen. I was disappointed at first, but every song is good, and Wouldn't Leave, Ghost Town and Violent Crimes are all excellent songs.

Back