The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

No discussion of the new surprise release Eminem album?

Best album he’s made in years.

And IMHO it's still complete garbage, to be honest. I don't really like Eminem in general, but hard to remember another hip-hop artist that has tarnished their legacy with shithouse albums as much as him. The beats are boring and he relies too much on technical ability at the expense of subject matter. And showcasing your technical ability is kind of pointless when all it does is make disappointing bars difficult to decipher.

Yah Yah was probably the best track on the album, and even then it borrowed its hook from a comfortably superior Benny The Butcher track:

Usually I wouldn't go off about artists I don't like, but Eminem's fanbase popping up suggesting he's still owning the game and that all new school rappers are trash (not saying you're doing that, just generally happens) shits me off, so I always feel the need to vent lol.

And IMHO it's still complete garbage, to be honest. I don't really like Eminem in general, but hard to remember another hip-hop artist that has tarnished their legacy with shithouse albums as much as him. The beats are boring and he relies too much on technical ability at the expense of subject matter. And showcasing your technical ability is kind of pointless when all it does is make disappointing bars difficult to decipher.

Yah Yah was probably the best track on the album, and even then it borrowed its hook from a comfortably superior Benny The Butcher track:

Usually I wouldn't go off about artists I don't like, but Eminem's fanbase popping up suggesting he's still owning the game and that all new school rappers are trash (not saying you're doing that, just generally happens) shits me off, so I always feel the need to vent lol.

That Yah Yah (and Benny) hook is from a Busta Rhymes song.

That Yah Yah (and Benny) hook is from a Busta Rhymes song.
Thought it was fron somewhere else. Couldn't pick it.

EDIT: Reason I made the Gristlda link is they're on Shady's label and he seems to be a fan.

Last edited:
Love AZ too. My personal favourite from him is Ho Happy Jackie, but honestly he has a tonne of great songs, and overall, at least 2 or 3 really good albums. Also love the duo that he and Nas were, literally every one of their songs together is great.

my all time favourite song is Affirmative Action

my all time favourite song is Affirmative Action
Great song, and easily the best that the firm ever put out (well that incarnation of them, that included cormega). The firm biz world's famous remix is another personal favourite of mine, using the Malcolm McLaren sample.
Affirmative Action is also easily in the top few songs on it was written.

Lol you don't have a clue. Topped off by saying yah yah is the best song on the album when that is just about the only weak one. The album is his 4th best ever after mmlp sslp relapse. Darkness has to be just about the most genius concept he has done since Stan. Double meaning throughout the entire song from his perspective about performing and the las vegas shooters perspective. Tracks like stepdad, lock it up, godzilla will become classics once he retires. The fact you described his bars as disappointing either means you are unintellegent or didn't listen properly. How is a bar like "i'm talking euthanasia, like kids in Taiwan" a disappointing bar?

Lol you don't have a clue. Topped off by saying yah yah is the best song on the album when that is just about the only weak one. The album is his 4th best ever after mmlp sslp relapse. Darkness has to be just about the most genius concept he has done since Stan. Double meaning throughout the entire song from his perspective about performing and the las vegas shooters perspective. Tracks like stepdad, lock it up, godzilla will become classics once he retires. The fact you described his bars as disappointing either means you are unintellegent or didn't listen properly. How is a bar like "i'm talking euthanasia, like kids in Taiwan" a disappointing bar?
Good Lord, Eminem fans are defensive. 'You must be unintelligent if you don't like Eminem' is such a ludicrous opinion. I'm far from the only person to pan the album. The bar you referenced isn't good. I heard it on first listen and laughed that he's going for dad jokes now. Realllly scraping the bottom of the barrel. Listen to a Billy Woods song if you want to hear impressive bars. Calling Darkness a "genius concept" is a huge stretch. It's one of the better songs on the album, but far from a "genius concept". Even then it loses a lot of its emotional depth after he makes an edgy line about the bombing at the Ariana Grande concert.

The first line of the album is literally "They said my last album sounded bitter / no, I sound like an spitter", at which point I lost my s**t laughing out loud. On an album called Music to Be Murdered By he spends the first two tracks complaining that people won't respect him and his longevity. Then you have the Alfred interlude where it seems like he's finally going to lean in to the concept and then literally the next thing you hear is: "Damn, girl, with your sexy ass, haha / Let me holla at you". I can empathsie with the subject matter on Stepdad and Leaving Heaven, but his approach to those topics is ludicrously corny. The chorus of Marsh is laugh-out-loud funny again (not in a good way) and Farewell is another awful track.

Yah Yah is one of the best tracks because Black Thought kills it. Something which Eminem largely fails to do on any other track on the album.

It's really not a good album. The only people I've seen try to praise it are diehard Eminem fans, and even then I've seen plenty of them pan it. As a general rule, Eminem fans don't seem very willing to explore plenty of new school hip-hop, or the underground, so makes sense that they think he is releasing quality hip-hop, I guess.

Good Lord, Eminem fans are defensive. 'You must be unintelligent if you don't like Eminem' is such a ludicrous opinion. I'm far from the only person to pan the album. The bar you referenced isn't good. I heard it on first listen and laughed that he's going for dad jokes now. Realllly scraping the bottom of the barrel. Listen to a Billy Woods song if you want to hear impressive bars. Calling Darkness a "genius concept" is a huge stretch. It's one of the better songs on the album, but far from a "genius concept". Even then it loses a lot of its emotional depth after he makes an edgy line about the bombing at the Ariana Grande concert.

The first line of the album is literally "They said my last album sounded bitter / no, I sound like an spitter", at which point I lost my s**t laughing out loud. On an album called Music to Be Murdered By he spends the first two tracks complaining that people won't respect him and his longevity. Then you have the Alfred interlude where it seems like he's finally going to lean in to the concept and then literally the next thing you hear is: "Damn, girl, with your sexy ass, haha / Let me holla at you". I can empathsie with the subject matter on Stepdad and Leaving Heaven, but his approach to those topics is ludicrously corny. The chorus of Marsh is laugh-out-loud funny again (not in a good way) and Farewell is another awful track.

Yah Yah is one of the best tracks because Black Thought kills it. Something which Eminem largely fails to do on any other track on the album.

It's really not a good album. The only people I've seen try to praise it are diehard Eminem fans, and even then I've seen plenty of them pan it. As a general rule, Eminem fans don't seem very willing to explore plenty of new school hip-hop, or the underground, so makes sense that they think he is releasing quality hip-hop, I guess.
Bro the spine of your argument was that his bars are weak, yet you can't even explain the bar I sent you as an example. I will be more than happy to compare 10 of his bars from the album to your favourite rapper, and I can guarantee every single one will be more clever and harder. I bet you skimmed through the album once and gave it no time at all and judged from there, although you seem like someone who already made his mind up before it began.

Again you are incorrect regarding that only Eminem fans like it, even you know that's wrong. It's trending everywhere and is getting an extremely positive neutral reception. Another bullshit statement regarding Eminem fans not exploring newschool and underground realms of hip hop, what kind of toss comment is that? I listen to new school trap skrrt s**t and I still bump the hidden old school gems. Wrong on so many fronts.

Bro the spine of your argument was that his bars are weak, yet you can't even explain the bar I sent you as an example. I will be more than happy to compare 10 of his bars from the album to your favourite rapper, and I can guarantee every single one will be more clever and harder. I bet you skimmed through the album once and gave it no time at all and judged from there, although you seem like someone who already made his mind up before it began.

Again you are incorrect regarding that only Eminem fans like it, even you know that's wrong. It's trending everywhere and is getting an extremely positive neutral reception. Another bullshit statement regarding Eminem fans not exploring newschool and underground realms of hip hop, what kind of toss comment is that? I listen to new school trap skrrt s**t and I still bump the hidden old school gems. Wrong on so many fronts.
Hahahha trap only represents a smidgen of new school hip-hop, and frankly overall represents some of the least creative and interesting new school hip there is. It's a watered down regurgitation of the Memphis Rap scene of the 90s. Way to prove my point.

I can't believe you think "euthanasia" being a play on words of "youth in Asia" is clever. Not setting the bar very high there.

Listen to literally any Billy Woods album. You'll probably think Eminem making dad jokes, bragging about harrassing strippers, being an edgy misogynist, and saying "I HAAAATE MYYY STEPDAAAAAAADDD" is better though given you think "I'm talking about euthanasia, like kids in Taiwan" is some really clever line. Really made me think, that one.

I listened to the whole thing because I wanted to give it a chance. I literally talked about half the tracks on there just before lol. Justin Bieber's new single is trending - does that make it any good?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your Eminem hatred is kind of embarrassing. Literally nothing you have said has any credibility, truth or merit.
Yet you can't refute it.

"I'm still as fly as your zipper" lmao crazy good bars.

Let's see what this geezer has to say about Royces verse in You Gon Learn. Probably thinks its whack.
Royce's verse is good. Some of the features are the best part of the album.
Link me a bar you like from your favourite rapper that tops that
Not my job to educate you on good hip-hop. Abusive, angry Eminem fans tend to not want to learn anyway. Go look for yourself:

Blinded by hatred.

Royce's verse is good. Some of the features are the best part of the album.

Not my job to educate you on good hip-hop. Abusive, angry Eminem fans tend to not want to learn anyway. Go look for yourself:
Billy who? :tearsofjoy:

Blinded by hatred.

Billy who? :tearsofjoy:
Standard Eminem fan. 'Unpopular = bad' lmao. It's almost like much of the greatest hip-hop has always belonged to the underground. Educate yourself.
Bring me champagne when im thirsttttyyyy, bring me reefer when I wanna get highhh. Man those are some next level bars. Really awesome.
Oh dear. That's a Muddy Waters tribute...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back