The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

I spent heaps of time trying to track down everything DOOM had put out back in the day. Countless hours listening to his stuff and pouncing on to every feature. So unique and so talented. Your favourite rapper's favourite rapper.

DOOM was the first rapper I ever loved. Madvillainy is my favourite album. I have a gigantic hangover from last night and this hurts a lot.

Might be a strange pick, but this may be my favourite track of his:

Basically DangerDoom before DangerDoom.

:hearts:

This one really hurts.
Yup, something about it has had me so deflated since waking up to the news. I hadn’t dived completely into DOOM’s discography but I’ve heard enough to understand the talent and the influence he had and I think that makes it harder to hear, the wide impact this has had on everyone who loves hip hop.

Only MC who could reference Slobodan Milosovic and use Eyjafjallajökull in a rhyme.

Shittest possible news to start the goddamn year, but take some comfort in knowing that his discography was so deep that it's gonna be a blast going through it all and finding some absolute gems for the first time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NinjaSwan you heard this tape? I had found Black Kray a bit annoying outside of it. Hydrocodone is insaaaane.

Yeah it's super cool, the witch house type stuff especially. I like a lot of his old stuff but the Sickboyrari era stuff is pretty hit and miss. Though still gotta respect him for how influential he was in cloud rap / emo rap / tread.

This album is insanely good. If you haven't listened to Injury Reserve before it's not a good start point but it's worth reading into them and checking this out, very experimental and marks the beginning of post-rap.

This album is insanely good. If you haven't listened to Injury Reserve before it's not a good start point but it's worth reading into them and checking this out, very experimental and marks the beginning of post-rap.

I wish I could listen to this album without getting profoundly sad lol

At least I got a chance to see them not long before COVID and Groggs' passing.

I've come full circle on Viper these past few years. Way back when I first heard him in 2013 I would have never believed he would go on to become one of my favourite artists, yet here we are. I think his album Hiram Clarke Hustler is a masterpiece, and the music he's uploading these days is even more batshit.

He's back up to his usual s**t, dumping hundreds of releases on Bandcamp. Most only singles as part of full-length casettes that you might get it you order them and hassle him for months. I've gone through and found some of the most avant-garde ones of the last few years. Hard to know which ones he's produced, which ones use beats people have sent him, and which ones are fake Viper songs he's simply stolen from the creators. I'm not sure if I even care if he made them anymore. It's postmodern as *.

Some choice selections:

Shout out to Pee Tear Griffin: I came to this thread hoping for some hip-hp suggestions for the first time in ages, and liked the Masta Ace and Marco Polo track he linked, and even more, the A Breukelen Story album I listened too afterwards. So much so, that just an hour or so about posting on the "Is old music drowning out new music" thread that people these days don't don't buy a record, take it home, roll a fat one, and listen carefully to it all way through. :), I did just that, for the first time ina long time! So thanks! :D

Been on one of my many Memphis Rap binges. Bounced off this tape when I listened to it (Lil Gin was 12 when this dropped lol) and never got to this banger. Hard to believe DJ Paul was 17 at the time he produced this, but he'd been dropping banging beats since he was 14, so I don't know why I'm shocked.

This is the first time I've heard such a Miami Bass influence on classic Memphis Rap too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back