Discussion The history of the lace up jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest, until this thread was bumped, I thought that lace ups were some forgotten thing from the 19th century. I had no idea they were used so recently.

I guess it's sort of like what Collingwood are doing with Star Athletic, using different materials for different players to get the most out of the uniform.

the Essendon Football Club has told me that it's not one of theirs, it is from a Tasmanian team,
There are only three teams from that era which had these colors,
1897–1897 – South Hobart Football Club.
1887-2014 Ulverstone Football Club
1893-2014 North Launceston Football Club (1893 was know as the Railway Football Club before becoming the Essendon Football Club and then known as the North Launceston Football Club.
that is all i know at the moment

If that's from the late 1800s/early 1900s then it belongs in the National Sports Museum at the MCG. :thumbsu:

You'd need a lot more information. Mero might be able to help us by telling us at what point numbers started to be put on jumpers in that way which might give us a closer ballpark on the age.

It might be worth emailing the clubs you've mentioned there and asking them if they ever wore this design (and if so, when) and whether it might be one of theirs.

The club it belongs to will probably consider it more valuable than the average punter.

the Essendon Football Club has told me that it's not one of theirs, it is from a Tasmanian team,
There are only three teams from that era which had these colors,
1897–1897 – South Hobart Football Club.
1887-2014 Ulverstone Football Club
1893-2014 North Launceston Football Club (1893 was know as the Railway Football Club before becoming the Essendon Football Club and then known as the North Launceston Football Club.
that is all i know at the moment

Numbers started in 1910's I think

So can cross south Hobart out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think that looks like a turn of the century jumper.
I would think a 1970's maybe even 1980's jumper would be more likely.
(Which still makes it probably 35-40 years old)
Reasons why:
- Metal eyelets on the hole where the laces go
- No reinforcing on the outside of the stripe
- Laces go 3/4 of the way down the jumper, not to the bottom
- Cloth number, not felt.
- The fact that is has a number at all.

I don't think that looks like a turn of the century jumper.
I would think a 1970's maybe even 1980's jumper would be more likely.
(Which still makes it probably 35-40 years old)
Reasons why:
- Metal eyelets on the hole where the laces go
- No reinforcing on the outside of the stripe
- Laces go 3/4 of the way down the jumper, not to the bottom
- Cloth number, not felt.
- The fact that is has a number at all.

This is why I think it's Westies. I don't recall ever seeing a lace up in the VFA, given they aren't cheap to make that's no surprise. I'm also pretty sure those Tassie teams were wearing Essendon jumpers in the 70's.

Westies had black collar and cuffs when they wore stripes in the color era, but I have a feeling initially they were red.

Interesting.
There's no such suburbs as 'East' or 'West' Subiaco - in fact the modern town lends itself more to a North (industrial-turn-commercial) and South (old housing).
Nor is there any mention of associated amateur clubs in Subiaco FC's online literature.
The western suburbs are really old and established; but perhaps the suburban boundaries/classifications were different in like 1926.

Or, more likely, these were now-defunct schools. 'P.S.A.' now refers to the private all-boys schools of Perth, who compete for the Alcock Cup.
Perth School became Hale, Marist School went co-ed, while CBC split (I believe?) to form Aquinas, Trinity and CBC Fremantle. An East or West Subi School may well have existed.

My old man might know about this, or there might be something in his Diehards (SFC history books) back home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back