The Horror of a Cashless Society

Remove this Banner Ad

The fish and chip shop and the chicken shop near my house are like this. Has to be tax dodging for they're surely losing sales as people, including me, don't want to go to Coles first or use the stupid $2.50 fee ATM.
Can't remember the exact cost but also having an eftpos machine/facility itself iirc is quite expensive for the business. Fast food would be a bit annoying but hairdressers it's ridiculous when women could spend like $100 on their hair.

The fish and chip shop and the chicken shop near my house are like this. Has to be tax dodging for they're surely losing sales as people, including me, don't want to go to Coles first or use the stupid $2.50 fee ATM.
Does your Coles do self checkout? If so you may be able to get cash out for free from those machines even without a purchase. It works like at at Woolies anyway. (I have no point other than to give this PSA!)

The two groups who would love a cash-free society the most are banks and cops. Always funny when lefties can be persuaded into supporting them via internecine resentment.

Im going to Japan in a few months so having to hoard cash to be able to access it there.

Not a lot of (affordable)places take credit card, especially "Western" Credit Cards ( I got a Citi Bank debit card but it needs to be filled with real money here)

Im so used to pay on credit card get the interest free period and pay off in full. (collect points go travelling)

Pantry and freezer is stocked,no shopping (bare minimum) for a few months, cash will be hoarded.

It is estimated Australians are losing a few hundred million dollars a year in surcharges, according to illustrative figuring based on research by the Reserve Bank of Australia.

There is a cost to every transaction. Data published by the RBA suggests merchants pay around $4 billion in service fees to banks and card issuers a year.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018...-200-million-a-year-paying-with-card/10666008

A similar thread exists on whirlpool so thought I might create one here.

Aside from placating the parasitic ATO and making it easier for the government to spy on us, not much good can come from this.

My transactions are personal and what I spend on and where I do it is my business. The extremist comments on that age article today are quite scary with suggestions to ban 100s and 50s.

And lastly, whatever the ATO does people will always find a way around when it comes to assets and non-electronic transactions so the ATO and Australian Government should really save themselves the time, effort and money and stop meddling in the lives of private citizens and controlling every little movement of ours.
Now your opinion on FB, Twitter, Instagram, google etc that are already spying and tracking our data?

Last edited:
I love how the banks have responded to a kicking from the royal commission by.....putting the boot into their customers, especially the loyal ones

I suspect the cashless society is a bit like the paperless office, as in it wont happen as the name suggests, the central problem is the people pushing these systems often become so focused on the concept that they overlook the fact that many people either don't have credit cards or they are often maxed out so they will need to use cash or they will have to cut spending also for small businesses it is better to be paid in cash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The two groups who would love a cash-free society the most are banks and cops. Always funny when lefties can be persuaded into supporting them via internecine resentment.
No us law abiding tax payers would prefer it too so the cheats would be forced to pay their share as well and put less tax burden on the rest of us. Not to mention cash free is just easier with not having to go to atms anymore.

I suspect the cashless society is a bit like the paperless office, as in it wont happen as the name suggests, the central problem is the people pushing these systems often become so focused on the concept that they overlook the fact that many people either don't have credit cards or they are often maxed out so they will need to use cash or they will have to cut spending also for small businesses it is better to be paid in cash.
Um debit cards. The same way you get cash from an atm except you no longer need to waste time at an atm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back