The hosting of the grand final

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmondfan#1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2000
AFL Club
Richmond
Let's hope that in future years the magnificent event of the grand final is not played at colonial stadium. I love watching footy being played at the MCG and especially the grand final.
The question has to be asked. How many people would turn up? Maybe they wouldn't come because they might think about all the bother it would take to get into the stadium.
And if the grand final was played at colonial, would the roof be closed? Let's hope not.

While you raise a good point about colonial stadium i think you are forgetting about a 99 year contract the afl has with the Mcg to play at the "G" until late in the 21st century we will all be dead by then so dont worry about it too much

No I follow where your coming from Richmondfan1, that could (god I hope not) happen.

Dons_R I can show you a contract the Hawks had to play at Waverly to 2020, so that just shows the AFL doesnt mind breaking contracts when it suits them.

Grendel,
Unfortuantley I know of that contract however the MCC/MCG have probably got a great deal more pull than the HFC (no Offence Intended) there would be a huge payout involved to get out of such a contract as the 99 year one and the Mcc would enforce it far more vigorously than the hawks did.

While I personally don't think that the GF would ever be moved to Colonial - you gotta remember who put in place the contract between the AFL and the MCC - Ian Collins.

What's the name of that guy that now runs Colonial??

It will never happen, because the powers that be built the stadium to only take half the amount of spectators that the G holds.
The AFL would lose too much revenue, pure & simple.

------------------
Mantis

The GF would be played at Homebush Stadium in Sydney or even a redeveloped Footy Park in Adelaide before it ever goes to Colonial.

But don't hold yer breath, the Gf will be at the MCG, probably for the rest of our lifetimes.

Just on the money side of things, im not so sure they would really lose out if the GF was shifted. The 15,000 odd (and I mean ODD) MCC members, signage rights to the ground and the MCG's take would all decrease the actual takings that the AFL would make on the day.
None of this would happen at Colonical, if anything they could then increase prices for the medallion club as a guarantee for a GF seat. More corporate boxes, super boxes, increase from exclusive TV rights, etc. If anything they might actually make more from Cocomical than the 'G.

Scary thought that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back