Training The house is coming down - it's training time!

Remove this Banner Ad

"
The club will determine its leadership roles in February but it's likely Lewis will feature in some capacity, with Viney the best bet to replace Nathan Jones if he steps down as captain."

What's the deal with this quote from The Age? Is there any word that Jones is looking to do this?

"
The club will determine its leadership roles in February but it's likely Lewis will feature in some capacity, with Viney the best bet to replace Nathan Jones if he steps down as captain."

What's the deal with this quote from The Age? Is there any word that Jones is looking to do this?

I'd imagine its just speculation, can't see why Jones would want to step down now. At least a year too early IMO.

"

Speculative. He does have a really young family I suppose. Not sure how much impact the captaincy would have on his family time compared to the rest of the list.

"

Viney would be the next captain you'd think. But doubt Jones steps aside yet. He's got a couple more years leff as captain.

Sounds like Viney is already a captain of sorts down at the club anyway, pushes himself and others at every training session and makes himself available all the time

Whilst I wouldn't change anything, I could understand the want for Jones to concentrate on playing well and improving because any drop off and we have a lot of good inside midfielders coming through

Too soon for Viney in my opinion - not that I don't think he is ready but he is already seen as a leader anyway. The longer he is able to do it without scrutiny and develop himself the better.

Also it looks as though we are finally stumbling our way out of the s**t-swamp we've been in for a decade.. it just seems right that Jones leads us out if said s**t-swamp and hopefully to finals in the next 2 years. Viney can takeover thereafter.

It is probably just speculative writing anyway.

Sounds like Viney is already a captain of sorts down at the club anyway, pushes himself and others at every training session and makes himself available all the time

Whilst I wouldn't change anything, I could understand the want for Jones to concentrate on playing well and improving because any drop off and we have a lot of good inside midfielders coming through

Jones is so underrated around here smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way Chunk stands down as captain. Heart and soul of the club and a great leader.

New coach/new captain is too much change unless absolutely necessary (see Lions).

Not to mention he is heading into next season with a bloody great list both on and off the field. He would be looking forward to it moreso than any previous year id say.

Wild horses wont drag him away.

Viney shows great leadership and initiative, but he still has a lot to learn. Needs to learn a little control too if he want's to be a fair caption one day, Scuffles with Mcdonald preseason because he went to hard doesn't sound to me like his read. Some can be over the top, Rockcliff is one that probably is brutal and tries to hard and it has cost him, i'm not saying Viney is Rockcliff, but he doesn't need captaincy thrust on him straight away.

Jones anyway is serving as a terrific leader for our football club, i don't know why people are so keen to look past him and at the future right this minute

I think the Jones to Viney thing only came up on the back of Grant Thomas talking about a handful of clubs who should change captains.
We weren't one of them but he went hard on a few.
FWIW I think Jonesy should have it for the next 2 seasons before we consider passing it on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just an odd statement in that article to suggest that anyone other than Jones will be captain next year really. Absolutely nothing to suggest there is anything at all to it, other than Goody responding to a question about Lewis being a part of our Leadership Group that would be determined, as always, in Feb.

Jones will be captain until he doesn't want to be captain any more, and staring down the barrel of our first genuine finals assault since his first season, I don't see him stepping down any time soon.

Jones is so underrated around here smh

Yeah so instead of reading that properly you've decided to try be a hero, all I was saying was it would surprise me if he wanted to concentrate more on his own game now because he's been carrying the midfield by himself for years

He apparently got some work done on his calves mid session yesterday, there are pictures of it on the AFL Photo's gallery.

From a couple of the training reports i read it was nothing, just a bit tight and finished the session. Wouldn't be the first bloke to head off for some treatment to avoid a couple of efforts, won't be the last!

Has Hoges hurt himself?
SEN bloke filling in for Andy Maher just said they'll be catching up with the MFC doctor and finished by saying "Has Jesse Hogan twinged something"
I wouldn't read too much into that, you left out that the other guy mentioned he could've had an itch.

it was a nothing statement I reckon.

I wouldn't read too much into that, you left out that the other guy mentioned he could've had an itch.

it was a nothing statement I reckon.
Yeah that was later.
I wrote my comment before they got into it but like you said, doesn't sound like much.

Yeah so instead of reading that properly you've decided to try be a hero, all I was saying was it would surprise me if he wanted to concentrate more on his own game now because he's been carrying the midfield by himself for years

That's not what you said. You said he needs to keep improving or his spot will be taken by another player. Maybe work on how you express your points before having a crack at me, seems like you think one thing and say another

That's not what you said. You said he needs to keep improving or his spot will be taken by another player. Maybe work on how you express your points before having a crack at me, seems like you think one thing and say another

That's a true statement though, I'd say the same for Vince Lewis and our other senior players. At their age if they have a bad season it can be over fast
Petracca, Tyson, Lewis, Viney, Brayshaw, Oliver, Jones etc are all very capable of playing at the Centre bounce, all I ment was I wouldn't be surprised if as the competitor Jones is he chooses to focus on his own game more and he's earned that right

Moot anyway I don't see it happening for 2 more years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back