Training The house is coming down - it's training time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know how Trenners is going at training? Haven't seen any mention of him so far.
Rehab group today - doing timed runs and so forth rather than main group. Looks okay but incredible speed isn't ever going to be his go. I don't know what is keeping him out of main group though - has he had any surgery post season or similar?

Rehab group today - doing timed runs and so forth rather than main group. Looks okay but incredible speed isn't ever going to be his go. I don't know what is keeping him out of main group though - has he had any surgery post season or similar?

Maybe they are worried about over loading his foot early in preseason?? Who knows
Could have been sore and just had an easy day

December 2 - Gosch's Paddock

It was a nice sort of morning for aimless squinting so I took myself and the Ancient Demon along to Gosch's Paddock to observe the future premiers in training mode. Spoiler alert right away - I was suitably impressed.

Inching along Punt Road at 9:15 reveals Crossey's all stars (rehab group plus some of the brand new faces) have commenced early. The small group includes Viney, TMac, Trengove, Pedo and VDB plus other less familiar types with high jumper numbers. Interestingly the club has brought along big speakers to provide a nice dance track to accompany HIIT, pounding feet, occasional traffic noise and swearing. A strange idea perhaps, but I feel sure Mitch King's ACL responds to interjections from Taylor Swift as he solemnly loops the oval. TMac just glowers at the speakers, at the rubbernecking traffic, at other players, at the trainers, and briefly at one point at his own trainers. I'm a regular now though so read this as his default scarey face rather than any suggestion of emerging psychosis. One day I will be brave enough to essay a friendly wave or perhaps blow him a kiss then leg it, just to see how it feels.

My genius plan to drive there was to ultimately cost $30 in parking at AAMI - so counts as a somewhat flawed plan, but for now we're parked right at the oval and rolling up as Salem and Oliver arrive. Let's hope Christian is doing the driving for the time being.

A good indication and positive start is that most of the players are in the main training group. Footy Gods please let this continue. The only significant person I don't clock (and never did - he didn't train today) was Jesse Hogan. I figure this was probably something non-concerning like he is either hungover and slobbing it, wrestling a white pointer at Torquay, secretly traded to Freo or wandering the Australian bush while experiencing a fugue state from dehydration and trying to recall his name. No drama.

Oh and Heretier wasn't there, but the fact I've only remembered that now is a solid indication as to my care levels on this particular matter.

While they warm up with some jogging, jogging with occasional skipping and leaping (my favourite warm up - makes them look like understudies for the cast of the sound of music) and some leg swinging, and we're underway.

I can probably put in my two cents on the great demon board debate about whether or not Hunt has gained some size. He definitely has. Ancient Demon commented on this as we arrived. And promisingly in the thighs as well as upper body, so perhaps Topkent's relentless advice regarding core strength has found a disciple. Also much stronger looking, distinctly so, is Stretchy. Max is just ridiculously large still, and Frosty looks immense and imposing. Even his ears have gravitas. Or possibly I mean gravity - from behind his ears look like a pair of slightly smaller heads balanced on his shoulders. Though Frosty may be a weird looking unit, he is massive and as he develops as a defender could seriously impede some opposition forwards in 2017. Encouragingly all look lean; nobody appears to have returned overweight or out of condition. Oliver looks stronger and less squooshy than a year ago, though still blindingly white - short of a spray job this will always be the case. He will be an absolute bull in a few years.

First is a soccer drill, with soccer balls. Players are alternating kicking feet and acquit this pretty well given the round ball, the absence of hands involved and the non preferred foot being worked. Certainly the group closest to me look okay anyway. Lewis is exceptional in his kicking and control - which continues for the rest of the session. I think he will be a really important addition in the next year. It's a strange sensation seeing him there and it's truly remarkable how much better everyone looks in red and blue.

We ditch the soccer balls, magically acquire sherrins and go to some defensive training drills. There are a few people gathered to watch now along with two sleeping whippets and trio of goggle-eyed spaniels swarming over a Mick Malthouse doppelgänger. The world seems full of Malthouse impersonators. I see several on most days. Or I hope I see several, because if it's the same bloke on multiple occasions then this is a bit creepy because I've brought him here from the markets at Apollo Bay where he was selecting a tie-dyed hoody just five days ago.

Everyone looks sharp in this defensive drill, and a coach is barking instructions about not running head on, but defenders needing to keep their man sighted 'on the right shoulder'. This made more sense while watching then it appears to on the page, and Ancient Demon later explained that the defensive approach retains more options to move either way if you approach side on. Apparently. Anyhow, the drill appeared sharp and clean. A couple of blokes (Jones, Watts and Jetta) manage to duck past their defender altogether. No full tackles in this drill, more just a hug and a squeeze and an exchange of phone numbers.

At least one spy is present from the Pies lurking by the southern goals. There could be any number from wherever, but I wouldn't be likely to recognise most. The Collingwood observer was only identified by me because it was Jarod Rivers who is obviously familiar. So presumably Pies will soon hold the critical tactical know-how to buy some soccer balls and sidle up to each other.

I need to refresh my beer now, but will return later to describe footballers running in yet more directions.

Brilliant Proper Gander :thumbsu:

Right on. I will continue even though I'm in a dodgy mood after being kept awake by cats wrestling then some stupid cruise liner outside that moored itself at about 3:45am. Why do they have to announce themselves with all the honking rather than just park like your regular, land-bound vehicle?

December 2 - Gosch's Paddock (the next bit)

So from this point the main group spend time on more traditional drills - this one focussing on teams moving the ball as quickly and cleanly as possible from "coast to coast", using long drilled kicks rather than handballs, against an opposition in nice pink vests still employing the hug and wink defence.

It all looks genuinely promising. Decision speed and kicking accuracy has improved out of this world compared to the same point of pre-season last year. Always a standout at training, Jack Watts is drilling it with accuracy and intensity. Though it has to be said, his hair does look pretty terrible. Hibberd is a beautiful kick of the football. In fact both of the former Essendon boys look sharp and committed. In 2017 I would like to see Oliver find himself some space from time to time because he's not a bad kick by the look of things and I have high regard for his instinctive decision making. It's something he hasn't had much opportunity to display as yet, so I'll look out for it during the home and away season.

I wander over to rehab gaggle number one who are doing an endless series of timed runs with trainers. Viney's hip and TMac's shoulder surgery have done nothing to impede these two's running or endurance. Neither are blowing and look unlikely to even break a sweat. They also have the smooth, compact motion of the super fit. VDB looks less comfortable, though that may be that he tends to sport a red complexion when exerting himself. Pedo isn't and never will be the shape of an endurance runner. Every time I see him in the flesh I am surprised by the fact that he has such a powerful leap given there is a fair bit of Pedo to launch onto some poor bastards shoulders. He looks ready for a break. Crossey will oblige after about 20 more similar runs.

Later, a group of new players plus Wagner is pounding the oval boundary with Crossey. The poor new guys are more or less stuffed, but I'm pretty convinced Wagner could keep it up all day. He may be in the best shape of anyone present and I can suddenly see why the coaches nominated him as first year player of the year. As Jimmy Toumpas knows, that good ain't easy. Wagner looks to have been hitting the strength training hard and he wouldn't be carrying even a micro-mini-millimetre of spare fat around the belly. Never mind how I know this with any measure of precision. He seems to bring out extreme views on this board, but I'm mostly in the camp that thinks he will be a decent AFL player. The problem with inexperienced defenders is their errors are so visible and clownish, and given they inhabit the oppositions forward 50 the consequences of a mistake are generally immediately felt. I know Wagner had some iffy moments, and I would like a bit less of a lottery feeling each time he kicks it, but I think I get why we recruited him and honestly suspect he will be good for us.

As the rehab / new starter groups who commenced early pack it in (looking like they have had a gutfull of Lady Gaga et al) the main group is practicing marking contests in pairs. Oscar and Weideman are a frequent match up - which works well because they are a very compatible pair in size and development to practice the contest. Both train well and Weideman looks particularly good during this session. OMac and Weed are getting stronger and less like footy kit on a coat hanger, but both are a few years away from frequent pack crashing and out body-ing opponents on a regular basis (though sniping is permitted and occasionally encouraged).

So there isn't much more to describe apart from some goal kicking practice all round using the metal cutouts of 'man on the mark' most were sailing through without dramas - it's a nice, windless morning so few excuses available. Petracca boots one through but is obviously unsatisfied by the direction bending left at the end. The reason I know this is the same reason everyone within a two kilometre radius knew this - Petracca spent most of this drill in a loud shouting and swearing exchange with himself, or his muse, or some kind of hallucination accompanying a temporary personality disorder. After 10 minutes of screaming assorted phrases that started with the word *, he sorted out his issues with some clean goals (yelling thank * for that and nearly calming down before starting up a second vocal exchange with a fly that landed on his arm).

Max Gawn is getting up interest in a contest for last person to miss buys the group back-to-back lattes. Could it be he isn't yet aware that a series of gruelling uphill sprints are planned to end the session?

For me the Gosch's Paddock component of today's training was drawing to a close and I needed to go buy fish more than I needed to watch Petracca assaulting more flying insects, so I went my way then, having first paid the THIRTY DOLLARS (ffs!) to free Ancient Demon's Honda from Olympic Park.

Last edited:
Right on. I will continue even though I'm in a dodgy mood after being kept awake by cats wrestling then some stupid cruise liner outside that moored itself at about 3:45am. Why do they have to announce themselves with all the honking rather than just park like your regular, land-bound vehicle?

So from this point the main group spend time on more traditional drills - this one focussing on teams moving the ball as quickly and cleanly as possible from "coast to coast", using long drilled kicks rather than handballs, against an opposition in nice pink vests still employing the hug and wink defence.

It all looks genuinely promising. Decision speed and kicking accuracy has improved out of this world compared to the same point of pre-season last year. Always a standout at training, Jack Watts is drilling it with accuracy and intensity. Though it has to be said, his hair does look pretty terrible. Hibberd is a beautiful kick of the football. In fact both of the former Essendon boys look sharp and committed. In 2017 I would like to see Oliver find himself some space from time to time because he's not a bad kick by the look of things and I have high regard for his instinctive decision making. It's something he hasn't had much opportunity to display as yet, so I'll look out for it during the home and away season.

I wander over to rehab gaggle number one who are doing an endless series of timed runs with trainers. Viney's hip and TMac's shoulder surgery have done nothing to impede these two's running or endurance. Neither are blowing and look unlikely to even break a sweat. They also have the smooth, compact motion of the super fit. VDB looks less comfortable, though that may be that he inclined to a red complexion when exerting himself. Pedo isn't and never will be the shape of an endurance runner. Every time I see him in the flesh I am surprised by the fact that he has such a powerful leap given there is a fair bit of Pedo to launch onto some poor bastards shoulders. He looks ready for a break. Crossey will oblige after about 20 more similar runs.

Later, a group of new players plus Wagner is pounding the oval boundary with Crossey. The poor new guys are more or less stuffed, but I'm pretty convinced Wagner could keep it up all day. He may be in the best shape of anyone present and I can suddenly see why the coaches nominated him as first year player of the year. As Jimmy Toumpas knows, that good ain't easy. Wagner looks to have been hitting the strength training hard and he wouldn't be carrying even a micro-mini-millimetre of spare fat around the belly. Never mind how I know this with any measure of precision. He seems to bring out extreme views on this board, but I'm mostly in the camp that thinks he will be a decent AFL player. The problem with inexperienced defenders is their errors are so visible and clownish, and given they inhabit the oppositions forward 50 the consequences of a mistake are generally immediately felt. I know Wagner had some iffy moments, and I would like a bit less of a lottery feeling each time he kicks it, but I think I get why we recruited him and honestly suspect he will be good for us.

As the rehab / new starter groups who commenced early pack it in (looking like they have had a gutfull of Lady Gaga et al) the main group is practicing marking contests in pairs. Oscar and Weideman are a frequent match up - which works well because they are a very compatible pair in size and development to practice the contest. Both train well and Weideman looks particularly good during this session. OMac and Weed are getting stronger and less like footy kit on a coat hanger, but both are a few years away from regular pack crashing and out body-ing opponents on a regular basis (though sniping is permitted and occasionally encouraged).

So there isn't much more to describe apart from some goal kicking practice all round using the metal cutouts of 'man on the mark' most were sailing through without dramas - it's a nice, windless morning so few excuses available. Petracca boots one through but is obviously unsatisfied by the direction bending left at the end. The reason I know this is the same reason everyone within a two kilometre radius knew this - Petracca spent most of this drill in a loud shouting and swearing exchange with himself, or his muse, or some kind of hallucination accompanying a temporary personality disorder. After 10 minutes of screaming assorted phrases that started with the word ****, he sorted out his issues with some clean goals (yelling thank **** for that and nearly calming down before starting up a second vocal exchange with a fly that landed on his arm).

Max Gawn is getting up interest in a contest for last person to miss buys the group back-to-back lattes. Could it be he isn't yet aware that a series of gruelling uphill sprints are planned to end the session?

For me the Gosch's Paddock component of today's training was drawing to a close and I needed to go buy fish more than I needed to further watch Petracca assaulting more flying insects, so I went my way then, having first paid the THIRTY DOLLARS (ffs!) to free Ancient Demon's Honda from Olympic Park.

Good effort PG
Melksham winning the uphill runs is a bloody good sign as well, shows his commitment after the saga
Wagner is not best 22 for mine but I agree he is a much better player than given credit for and I think he will be a good understudy to Hibberd

I wander over to rehab gaggle number one who are doing an endless series of timed runs with trainers. Viney's hip and TMac's shoulder surgery have done nothing to impede these two's running or endurance. Neither are blowing and look unlikely to even break a sweat. They also have the smooth, compact motion of the super fit. VDB looks less comfortable, though that may be that he inclined to a red complexion when exerting himself. Pedo isn't and never will be the shape of an endurance runner. Every time I see him in the flesh I am surprised by the fact that he has such a powerful leap given there is a fair bit of Pedo to launch onto some poor bastards shoulders. He looks ready for a break. Crossey will oblige after about 20 more similar runs.

As the rehab / new starter groups who commenced early pack it in (looking like they have had a gutfull of Lady Gaga et al) the main group is practicing marking contests in pairs. Oscar and Weideman are a frequent match up - which works well because they are a very compatible pair in size and development to practice the contest. Both train well and Weideman looks particularly good during this session. OMac and Weed are getting stronger and less like footy kit on a coat hanger, but both are a few years away from regular pack crashing and out body-ing opponents on a regular basis (though sniping is permitted and occasionally encouraged).

So there isn't much more to describe apart from some goal kicking practice all round using the metal cutouts of 'man on the mark' most were sailing through without dramas - it's a nice, windless morning so few excuses available. Petracca boots one through but is obviously unsatisfied by the direction bending left at the end. The reason I know this is the same reason everyone within a two kilometre radius knew this - Petracca spent most of this drill in a loud shouting and swearing exchange with himself, or his muse, or some kind of hallucination accompanying a temporary personality disorder. After 10 minutes of screaming assorted phrases that started with the word ****, he sorted out his issues with some clean goals (yelling thank **** for that and nearly calming down before starting up a second vocal exchange with a fly that landed on his arm).

For me the Gosch's Paddock component of today's training was drawing to a close and I needed to go buy fish more than I needed to further watch Petracca assaulting more flying insects, so I went my way then, having first paid the THIRTY DOLLARS (ffs!) to free Ancient Demon's Honda from Olympic Park.

Brilliant.

This sentence alone could be a POTY nomination: He may be in the best shape of anyone present and I can suddenly see why the coaches nominated him as first year player of the year. As Jimmy Toumpas knows, that good ain't easy.

Thanks for that.

Can't imagine why he would be training with the Rehab group. Maybe just a cautious approach until he's ready for a full training load?

I don't think speed was ever one of his strengths, but if he can get back to his best, his kicking, physicality and nous will be a huge asset.... At least, that's what I'm praying for.

Thanks for that.

Can't imagine why he would be training with the Rehab group. Maybe just a cautious approach until he's ready for a full training load?

I don't think speed was ever one of his strengths, but if he can get back to his best, his kicking, physicality and nous will be a huge asset.... At least, that's what I'm praying for.
I would love for him to stage a return - he's had such a crap time of it and is well overdue some better luck.

Good effort PG
Melksham winning the uphill runs is a bloody good sign as well, shows his commitment after the saga
Wagner is not best 22 for mine but I agree he is a much better player than given credit for and I think he will be a good understudy to Hibberd
We need to have good players like him stick around even if not best 22 - I get sick of the soldier down - soldier in cliché, but if you look at the dogs ability to field a strong side even with some pretty significant injuries during the season, this kind of depth is how you go about attempting to win a flag.

I was never especially excited when we traded for Melksham but coming back as fit as he has following a suspension is pretty impressive. I know he has frustrated supporters over his first 100 games but maybe a fresh start and some maturity will bring about a breakthrough for him? Hope so anyway. Watts has demonstrated that late blooming is possible so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

December 2 - Gosch's Paddock

It was a nice sort of morning for aimless squinting so I took myself and the Ancient Demon along to Gosch's Paddock to observe the future premiers in training mode. Spoiler alert right away - I was suitably impressed.

Inching along Punt Road at 9:15 reveals Crossey's all stars (rehab group plus some of the brand new faces) have commenced early. The small group includes Viney, TMac, Trengove, Pedo and VDB plus other less familiar types with high jumper numbers. Interestingly the club has brought along big speakers to provide a nice dance track to accompany HIIT, pounding feet, occasional traffic noise and swearing. A strange idea perhaps, but I feel sure Mitch King's ACL responds to interjections from Taylor Swift as he solemnly loops the oval. TMac just glowers at the speakers, at the rubbernecking traffic, at other players, at the trainers, and briefly at one point at his own trainers. I'm a regular now though so read this as his default scarey face rather than any suggestion of emerging psychosis. One day I will be brave enough to essay a friendly wave or perhaps blow him a kiss then leg it, just to see how it feels.

My genius plan to drive there was to ultimately cost $30 in parking at AAMI - so counts as a somewhat flawed plan, but for now we're parked right at the oval and rolling up as Salem and Oliver arrive. Let's hope Christian is doing the driving for the time being.

A good indication and positive start is that most of the players are in the main training group. Footy Gods please let this continue. The only significant person I don't clock (and never did - he didn't train today) was Jesse Hogan. I figure this was probably something non-concerning like he is either hungover and slobbing it, wrestling a white pointer at Torquay, secretly traded to Freo or wandering the Australian bush while experiencing a fugue state from dehydration and trying to recall his name. No drama.

Oh and Heretier wasn't there, but the fact I've only remembered that now is a solid indication as to my care levels on this particular matter.

While they warm up with some jogging, jogging with occasional skipping and leaping (my favourite warm up - makes them look like understudies for the cast of the sound of music) and some leg swinging, and we're underway.

I can probably put in my two cents on the great demon board debate about whether or not Hunt has gained some size. He definitely has. Ancient Demon commented on this as we arrived. And promisingly in the thighs as well as upper body, so perhaps Topkent's relentless advice regarding core strength has found a disciple. Also much stronger looking, distinctly so, is Stretchy. Max is just ridiculously large still, and Frosty looks immense and imposing. Even his ears have gravitas. Or possibly I mean gravity - from behind his ears look like a pair of slightly smaller heads balanced on his shoulders. Though Frosty may be a weird looking unit, he is massive and as he develops as a defender could seriously impede some opposition forwards in 2017. Encouragingly all look lean; nobody appears to have returned overweight or out of condition. Oliver looks stronger and less squooshy than a year ago, though still blindingly white - short of a spray job this will always be the case. He will be an absolute bull in a few years.

First is a soccer drill, with soccer balls. Players are alternating kicking feet and acquit this pretty well given the round ball, the absence of hands involved and the non preferred foot being worked. Certainly the group closest to me look okay anyway. Lewis is exceptional in his kicking and control - which continues for the rest of the session. I think he will be a really important addition in the next year. It's a strange sensation seeing him there and it's truly remarkable how much better everyone looks in red and blue.

We ditch the soccer balls, magically acquire sherrins and go to some defensive training drills. There are a few people gathered to watch now along with two sleeping whippets and trio of goggle-eyed spaniels swarming over a Mick Malthouse doppelgänger. The world seems full of Malthouse impersonators. I see several on most days. Or I hope I see several, because if it's the same bloke on multiple occasions then this is a bit creepy because I've brought him here from the markets at Apollo Bay where he was selecting a tie-dyed hoody just five days ago.

Everyone looks sharp in this defensive drill, and a coach is barking instructions about not running head on, but defenders needing to keep their man sighted 'on the right shoulder'. This made more sense while watching then it appears to on the page, and Ancient Demon later explained that the defensive approach retains more options to move either way if you approach side on. Apparently. Anyhow, the drill appeared sharp and clean. A couple of blokes (Jones, Watts and Jetta) manage to duck past their defender altogether. No full tackles in this drill, more just a hug and a squeeze and an exchange of phone numbers.

At least one spy is present from the Pies lurking by the southern goals. There could be any number from wherever, but I wouldn't be likely to recognise most. The Collingwood observer was only identified by me because it was Jarod Rivers who is obviously familiar. So presumably Pies will soon hold the critical tactical know-how to buy some soccer balls and sidle up to each other.

I need to refresh my beer now, but will return later to describe footballers running in yet more directions.

HEY! Hate to spoil a good story but my playlist is definitely Taylor Swift free!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every time I get my hopes up that the house is going to come down, I jump in my car and head down to take a look - but the friggin' house is still standing. This house is made with a titanium alloy frame and carbon fibre cladding. I don't know what it would take to bring this house down, but it's a technology that hasn't been invented yet. I can only hope that Goodwin has got some serious weapons-grade R & D going so we can annihilate this goddamn house very soon..

Curious to hear about Garland. Anyone been to training, has he been playng down back?

Petracca spent most of this drill in a loud shouting and swearing exchange with himself

It is widely known that young Petracca suffers from tourette syndrome*

* This may or may not be true

Our pre season fixture has been released and sees us taking on the Doggies first up which I rate!

Melbourne pre-season fixture (JLT Community Series)

Match 1

Saturday, February 18

Western Bulldogs v Melbourne

VU Whitten Oval, Away, 4.40pm EDT

Match 2

Saturday, February 25

Melbourne v Carlton

Casey Fields (Cranbourne East), Home, 2.05pm EDT

Match 3

Thursday, March 9

West Coast Eagles v Melbourne

Domain Stadium, Away, 5.40 WST